• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I found a stray ferret!

Bellatrix18

Warren Scout
I got a phone call early this morning from my next door neighbour about a ferret in her garden. Apparently the poor girl had been in the garden since 5.30am being chased by the neighbours westie and she couldn't catch it because she's in a wheelchair.

Well.... this ferret is the sweetest thing ever :love: :love: :love: We just got her back from the vets. She is apparently only about 3-4 months old and is very small and sweet but very healthy. She must have been used to being handled as she's very friendly and tame and begs for our attention!

We've had her scanned for a chip (no luck) but we let all the vets and rescue centres in the area know we've found her, so if someone's missing her they'll hopefully be able to trace her. But in the meantime, what should I do with her?? I have set up a big cage for her with lots of things to do and given her some kitten food (only thing we had in!) and water. What type of things do ferrets need?? I'm a bit overwhelmed by it all as I never imagined I'd have to take care of a ferret :roll:

Do watch her..they are normally very relieved to be found and show true colours a bit later.

Cat biscuits or cat meat, fresh meat and fresh water to be given.Certainly never bread and milk.

Keep her secure.She sounds very young or could even be the new greyhound ferret which are built tiny but have strength of a thousand weasels!!

Deffinitely keep her away from any other animal.xx

Can't really help you I'm afraid other than to perhaps suggest googling a rescue centre maybe for them to take her? Also, (and you will no doubt say "doh, I know") ensure she can't get to your bunnies else she'll have them. People used to "go ferreting" for rabbits (and probably still do).

She sounds cute though. Any pics?

Thanks guys. Yes I am keeping her VERY separate form the buns. She can't get out of her cage and there are quite a few closed doors between her and the buns :shock:

I'll keep an eye on her biting. Hopefully she wont change into a little monster!! Do you know how long it would be before she is definitely acting herself? I've never heard of a greyhound ferret. Are they like 'dwarf' ferrets?

My camera is playing up and has been for a couple of months but I'll figure out how to upload pics form my phone so I can show her off. She's a little albino and has a lovely pink nose :love: My OH has fallen for her and already wants to keep her! (after spending the last few months saying 'no more pets') :lol:

We found her owners :) They had a little boy who was absolutely heartbroken at the though of losing her and guilt ridden because he'd let her escape. I'm so glad she has a lovely home to go back to with people who missed her :D

My OH wants a ferret or two now though :roll:

Well done for helping her find her home :) I've managed to find two ferrets now. :shock: The last one gave me a nice bite to say thank you! :roll::lol:

Aww glad you found her owner.

I wouldn't get ferrets if you have rabbits, a lot of them are terrified of the smell of ferrets and they do stink at times, the smell does cling, so you would have to keep changing clothes when handling the ferrets to interacting with the rabbits. It's possible I'm sure I've heard of people keeping both, but they need the same space rabbits do, nice large hutch/shed and run and a friend and have to be neutered and of course very secured.

They do make lovely pets though, they're like cats, very playful and inquisitive and cheeky.

Back