• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bella - 19th May 2012

Loula

Mama Doe
I can't believe I've got to write this baby girl. We'd decided that you were going to live forever.

Where do I start?

When Jamie started pestering me about this rabbit that had come in to the pet shop I told him not to be so silly. Why would we want a rabbit?! We weren't living together, I had dogs, he had cats; a rabbit was a silly idea. And when I got to the pet shop I thought to myself, her? All these cute looking baby bunnies playfully hopping around and Jamie has picked this plain black giant beast of a bunny. With a lump the size of a tennis ball on her side and a crusty looking eye. She didn't seem very friendly, she was scared. Jamie brought her home anyway, nothing I was going to say was going to stop him. 14th July 2008.

It turned out you had been brought in to the pet shop by one of the breeders for the shop. She thought you were around 13-14months old. You'd had three or four litters already. You were just a baby yourself. She'd brought you in because of this lump on your side and she didn't want to have to care for you.

You lived in the stables in Jamie's parents garden. Every time we walked in you legged it to the other side of the stable and looked petrified of us. If we went to stroke you you'd just freeze and drop to the floor. By this point I'd completely fallen in love with you, even though the feeling wasn't mutual! We spent weeks just going in and sitting in the stable, and eventually you'd start getting brave and come to have a sniff of us. Especially if we'd brought noms in with us. Once you'd realised that we were ok there was no stopping you. We couldn't open the stable door without an escapee bunny trying to get at our feet. You wanted to explore everything. We got you a harness (officially made for a medium sized dog) and extra long lead and away you went exploring every part of the super exciting garden. Chasing the cats was something you loved, I don't think they felt the same way though!

Having you made us realise that we should definitely live together, we'd been thinking about it before then, but neither of us wanted to be without you. So we got our first flat together. Packed up, and moved to Manchester. We were worried that you would like being an indoor bun after getting used to being outdoors but boy were we wrong. You claimed the sofa, the rug, our bed as yours within about 10 minutes of you being through the door. You explored every room, chinning everything you possibly could and then flopped out on the carpet. Nothing fazed you. You lived in a few different places; the garden, two flats, and finally our first house all of our own. You didn't bat an eyelid. We were worried taking you in to a new place would stress you out. You just thought of it as an adventure. When you went on your holidays to my grans house, my parents house, Jamies parents house, every time you just started hopping around as if you owned the place instantly.

Your favourite place for your holidays was Aunty Kays at bunnyhops. You loved going round and bossing all the other bunnies around. Not letting any of them out because you were in charge. You made friends with the cats, not the rabbits! I don't think you believed that you were a rabbit. I think you bossed Kay around a bit too! Only deciding to go back to bed when David came out and brought you in.

You were a proper mans bunny. You liked me, I know that (I think!)! But you really were a hussy bunny. Any man, even a complete stranger, and you'd be sat on their feet within seconds of them walking in the room. Your one true love though was Jamie. You never left him alone. You always had to be near him. If you were sat with me and Jamie walked in you were gone. If Jamie was ever away for any amount of time you would sulk. You'd be naughty. You'd be waiting for him. You'd lie for ages in his arms. Constantly grooming him. Demanding attention. If we dared stop stroking you we'd be nudged, nibbled, dug at until we did as you wanted. You really were the boss of us! He loves you so much little one. You're our bubby girl.

You really were a spoilt bunny. I don't think many rabbits would receive post on a regular basis from both of our mums! Handpicked greens from her favourite garden, advent calenders at christmas time. Every one thought you were special. You thought you were special.

You always wanted to be with us. Once you learnt how to go up the stairs we had to get a stair gate to stop you! 2am and you'd be scrabbling at our bedroom door. You learnt if you did it enough the door would eventually give way and you'd be in. Straight on the bed, lying between the two of us. Licking Jamie's face. Until you decided that you'd had enough and would be up, weeing on the bed, in the worst possible place! Every single time, at the top of the duvet, for maximum damage! You'd get the duvet, the sheet and pillows all in one go! It was the same on the sofa. If we didn't show enought attention that would be it. Wee! Never in the middle of one cushion, always over two. Then off you'd jump, looking all pleased with yourself. There was never a dull moment with you around. I don't know what we're going to do without you.

When Jamie rang me at 12:30 on friday I could tell by his voice it wasn't good. You couldn't breath properly. I left work straight away and Jamie came and got me while you were being X-rayed at the vets. Pneumonia. When I left for work that morning you were absolutely fine. Jumping round my feet, getting uppity with me because I was taking my time getting your pellets ready. How could you have pneumonia? When the vet brought you out to see us you looked poorly. Your little head in the air trying to get air in. You perked up a bit once you saw us, the vet said she'd never seen that happen with a rabbit before, only dogs perking up when they see their owners. You're special though. We were your safety. You knew we'd always be looking after you. We brought you home, hoping that the drugs would work. But by the evening we knew that wasn't the case. We had to drive you to the out of hours vet. No one would come to the house. I'm sorry baby girl. I'm sorry you weren't at home. But we had to do the best for you. You drifted to sleep with us stroking your face. I hope you know that we didn't want to do it. We wanted to make you better. You were too poorly little one.

You were such a fighter. When we first got you the first vet thought we'd maybe have a month with you tops. It was nearly 4 years. They really were the best 4 years. You overcame so many different problems. You were our second hand defect bunny. I wouldn't have wanted it any other way. I hope you were happy with us. I think you were. The constant grooming and happy flops suggested you were! I just don't know how we're going to cope without you. Being in the house is horrible. Not having you rattling at the stair gate when we came down in the morning. Not having you getting in our way constantly! Not having you leg it at full speed and jump on the sofa at any given moment. I wish I could have one last hug. One last lick from you. One last nudge. I love you bubby.

IMG_0475.jpg

9df97c19.jpg

DSCF5480.jpg

DSCF5898-1.jpg

DSCF5906-1.jpg

67d7179a.jpg

8df52d14.jpg

DSCF6749.jpg

DSCF3481.jpg

DSCF3125.jpg

DSCF3651.jpg

DSCF3181.jpg

DSCF5710.jpg

DSCF6828.jpg

cdb55593.jpg

DSCF5115.jpg

DSCF4814.jpg

What a beautiful tribute to an absoultly gorgeous bunny I'm so so sorry Binky free gorgeous girl :cry:

what a beautiful tribute. Your post of her leaving made me cry but reading this I am grinning like an idiot - you are soooo lucky to of owned such a special little character -she was amazing and had got through so much already :love::love::love::love:

What a very special girl. Really made me cry to read her story and how much you will miss Bella. I am so sorry you lost Bella. :cry::cry::cry:

what a lovely tribute to your beautiful girl. what a character and a beautiful bunny aswell. so sorry you lost her. sounds like she was very happy and had a great life with you both. xxx

I'm so sorry :cry: Your beautiful tribute made me cry, she sounds like a really special bunny.

Binky free Bella xx

I am so, so sorry Laura :cry: Your tribute to her is so beautiful - I've got tears streaming down my face for you both. Bella's pics show just what a character she was & such a special girl :love: She was truly blessed to have found the home she did with you & Jamie.

Binky free big, beautiful Bella, watch over mummy & daddy sweetheart xxxx

I'm sorry for your loss. :cry: She was so beautiful, and your tribute and the photos show how special she was. xxx

What a fantastic tribute, that was simply beautiful and very very touching. She will be sorely missed.

Binky free bella

I'm so sorry. :(
The last picture of Bella never failed to put a smile on my face. :love::love::love:
Binky free gorgeous girl xxx

Oh Bells it's horrible going downstairs in the morning and you not being there.

I can't help but feel guilty for any time I wasn't at home with her. Or lifted her off the sofa coz she was being naughty. Or moaned about having to clean out her litter tray.

I just want her back.

Back