• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice on my bunnys bonding situation.

Mel D

Warren Scout
Hi, I have a dwarf lop who is 3yrs and neutered, I bought a female lionlop rabbit 4 weeks ago and they have been playing ok, my dwarflop had his myxi jab yesterday so we thought that we would give him aday rest away from her assheis 12weeks she has more energy then he does. Tonight when I reinterduced them they were ok to start with except when he wanted to lie down she would nudge him to get up and play, but then he turnedon her started going round and round in circles then fur being pulled out so i separated them and checked them for any injuries both ok except the fur. Can anyone help as i have no idea what went wrong.

First off the fur pulling is normal (my bonding buns have been doing it for over 3 weeks now and have just stopped after daily bonding) I know it looks horrible to see but it is normal. Secondly, is your female rabbit spayed?

First off the fur pulling is normal (my bonding buns have been doing it for over 3 weeks now and have just stopped after daily bonding) I know it looks horrible to see but it is normal. Secondly, is your female rabbit spayed?

My female rabbit is to young to be spayed shes 12weeks and probably wont spay her as i have lost 2 females through spay.

Also does anyone know a safe way of splitting up 2 fighting rabbits without getting hurt as my husband has just been badly hurt by splitting them up. Thanks

The trouble is if you don't have her neutered and when she gets a bit older, she will most probably pester the male to be mated with. This is stressful for the female and the malle, depending on his temperament, will also get stressed oor get nasty with her. You woulld be very lucky to have a contented couple when one of them is not neutered. Over the years there has been one or two fights and I find a piece of wire is handy to slot between them and then you shoilld be able to grab one of them. When they are in fight mode then anything in their path is likely to get bitten. Make suure your younger rabbit is a girl not a boy. There are so many mistakes made in sexing them and you don't want to risk any more fights because they could s
eriously hurt one another.

I am currently bonding two rabbits - its not for the faint hearted, I know. At its worse (with other rabbits) they have been practically airborne whilst in the middle of skirmishes.

What we have used to break them up this time is to simply gently swish/dangle a towel over them - it has been like a magic wand stopping them in their tracks.

My two are beginning to gel - good luck with your two.

Back