• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Toxoplasmosis in rabbits?

AmyJoyce

New Kit
Hi Everyone,

I posted a video on here a while ago because we thought our rabbits might have EC as they are fitting severely,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj19LVy5IDo&feature=g-all-s

However, the blood test results came back today and it was a negative test. They are now suggesting toxoplasmosis and recommending treatment asap before the results are back on this.

Has anyone had this issue before? Did the rabbits make a full recovery?

Many thanks from a very sad 12 week old rabbit owner :(

Toxoplasmosis is caused by a protozoal parasite, which can infect most mammalian species, including rabbits. Toxoplasmosis infection is a particular concern to pregnant women, because it poses a significant hazard to unborn children. Humans become infected by eating undercooked meat from infected animals, or by contact with cat faeces in litter trays or, (more commonly) contaminated garden soil. However, cats are the only species capable of spreading the disease when alive. This is why pregnant women are advised not to handle cat litter trays, or to wear gloves if they must do so.

Rabbit faeces are not a source of infection and live rabbits cannot spread toxoplasmosis. As the readers of this website are unlikely to consume their pet bunnies (!) toxoplasmosis can be crossed off the list of zoonoses that can be acquired from pet rabbits. Similarly, although rabbits can become infected with various species of tapeworms (see below), humans can only catch tapeworms from rabbits by eating them, so again, not an issue for the pet rabbit owner.

Rabbit litter trays pose no specific hazard to pregnant women, though standard hygiene precautions should always be taken and hands washed after dealing with rabbit urine and faeces.

Thats all i could find on this...Im very interested.I seriously hope your baby will be ok.xxxxx

I would be extremely surprised if it was Toxoplasmosis as to be blunt your Rabbit would not have survived for this long. In the acute form, which does usually effect young Rabbits symptoms are neurological, but there is also usually fever, anorexia, Liver enlargement and death :cry:

The chronic form usually effects older Rabbits. The course of the disease runs on for some time, the Rabbit becoming emaciated. Hind leg paralysis is sometimes seen. Some Rabbits do recover from chronic Toxoplasmosis.

There is some more detailed info here:

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Parasitic/Toxoplasmosis.htm

I would be extremely surprised if it was Toxoplasmosis as to be blunt your Rabbit would not have survived for this long. In the acute form, which does usually effect young Rabbits symptoms are neurological, but there is also usually fever, anorexia, Liver enlargement and death :cry:

The chronic form usually effects older Rabbits. The course of the disease runs on for some time, the Rabbit becoming emaciated. Hind leg paralysis is sometimes seen. Some Rabbits do recover from chronic Toxoplasmosis.

There is some more detailed info here:

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Parasitic/Toxoplasmosis.htm

Thank you so much for this information. I have been asked to take them in tomorrow morning for a couples of days so that they can give them treatment (although it hasn't been confirmed with blood tests). My vet doesn't want to wait a week for an answer as I guess it's so severe. They have been fitting for a few weeks now so I think this would be unlikely but I think the vets are stumped.

Our bunnies are out of a litter of 5 and the other 3 (are with the owner) are not showing symptoms so we were unsure as to whether the issue was environmental, however the vet doesn't seem to think it is.

I have no idea what to do, they squeal occassionally which I presume means that they are in pain. I just want them to get better :(

Thank you so much for this information. I have been asked to take them in tomorrow morning for a couples of days so that they can give them treatment (although it hasn't been confirmed with blood tests). My vet doesn't want to wait a week for an answer as I guess it's so severe. They have been fitting for a few weeks now so I think this would be unlikely but I think the vets are stumped.

Our bunnies are out of a litter of 5 and the other 3 (are with the owner) are not showing symptoms so we were unsure as to whether the issue was environmental, however the vet doesn't seem to think it is.

I have no idea what to do, they squeal occassionally which I presume means that they are in pain. I just want them to get better :(

If it is any consolation if the squeals happen during a fit it is not necessarily a pain response but an autonomic one, they dont know they are doing it.

I do hope that there will be some answers for you and that the Rabbits can be helped

Good luck.

Oh dear, poor bunny! It does look quite severe :(

I don't know much about bunnies fitting but could it be neurological? Do they both do the same thing or is one more severe than the other?

Did you get them from a breeder? How are the parents? Is the breeder liable to lie to you about their siblings being healthy? (I know that sounds harsh but it's something to think about)

I've not had experience with EC apart from a bun with head tilt and eventual kidney failure but it can present itself in different ways depending on the bunnies. I was under the impression that the tests for EC were not always accurate but I'm not sure.
I have no idea when it comes to toxoplasmosis.

I hope you find out what is causing these awful fits and that it is treatable. x

Back