• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dont know what hutch to get

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on adopting your rabbits, please post photos when you have them, we love photos here :D

As for a hutch, if the rabbits are going to spend most of their time in it, a minimum 6 by 4 foot hutch is best. However a shed might also be a great idea, especially as you can get sheds in the region of £200.

If you have a secure garden with grass a run will also be ideal because rabbits are incredibly active and can jump very high but the best runs are often self made as you can tailor it to your size requirements.

Remember to make sure all accommodation is secure against predators. Laying slabs under runs and sheds can prevent the rabbits escaping too.

Here is a link to our outdoor housing thread with helpful pictures.

The best thing is to try and give as much space as possible. Hutches are rather outdated and do not encourage good welfare standards (unless they are huge).

Indoors I think people on here usually have a 4ft dog crate as a base and add more levels, and then attach a pen to it. Some people have just converted a whole room for the bunnies. What sort of space are you working with? theres a few pics in the sticky at the top of this section that has examples of indoor accommodation.

Hello :wave:

How exciting, you have loads of money to spend on your bunny!

For indoors a hutch is quite impractical, as you don't need a big wooden hutch when the buns are inside. Don't waste your money on an indoor 'cage' though. Most people here have a 'bunny room' or have sectioned off an area of a room for their rabbits. I've used storage cubes (eBay- £45) and play pen panels (Ebay £?) to 'bunny proof' the room (skirting) as well as making sure wires aren't accessible. I've also put Lino down on carpet and bought runners with rubber underside so bunnies can binky freely! A play pen (or two) is a great thing to buy but watch out cos my rabbits can get over their 3 ft one no problem. I had to get a new one which is 4'6" which is too high for them!

I have a created a base with storage cubes for my buns which has levels but there is no door. It has their litter tray, hay and water in it. I have used dog crates in the past but personally don't like them. Many people don't bother with a base. It's quite important your rabbits are never 'locked in' or they can become distructive and unhappy.

Good luck! There is a great sticky on indoor housing for ideas!

X

Back