• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Very young wildie - we named you Bramble

GrahamL

Wise Old Thumper
We were only on our way out to purchase a washing machine and dishwasher, but you turned our morning upside down and inside out.

When driving along the main road out of our town, my wife spotted you on the side of the road. I pulled over immediately, much to the annoyance of all the vehicles behind me.

I ran back with an old tshirt i keep in the car, to find you, a very young wild rabbit, pushed up against the curb of the road, obviously hurt. I bundled you up into the tshirt and wrapped you up as comfortable as i could and took you back to the car and placed you on my wifes lap. You were bright eyed but you didn't fight us. We knew something was very wrong, you were not able to move your back end at all. You'd obviously been hit by a car.

We called the local RSPCA at Brent Knoll and they told us they couldn't do much as they didnt have an on-site vet, but gave us the emergency number to call and told us which options to choose. We called and a helpful operator explained that they had a list of vets we could take you to. He found one, open on a sunday morning and gave us the address. So off we drove, about 20 minutes and we arrived. We took you in and the lovely vet took us into a consultation room as soon as we arrived.

We unwrapped you from your tshirt and the vet examined you, confirming our suspicions - you'd been hit by a car and your back was broken. We already knew before we arrived what the situation would be. We were told you were probably only about 6-8 weeks old.

My wife broke down in tears little one, she gave you a quick nose rub and the vet told us it was only fair for you to be put to sleep, we knew that was the right thing to do, to end your suffering, your obvious pain. The vet offered to allow us to take you home to bury you, but we couldn't do that, as we'd be leaving here soon - i hope you don't think thats 'cos we didnt care. I gave your head a little rub and stroked your ears, you seemed very peaceful.

My wife doesn't believe any animal should pass without a name, so we called you Bramble. We found you close to the brambles on the side of the road, so it seemed quite apt.

The vet carefully picked you up and took you off to a back room, we left.

We haven't stopped thinking of you since. You'll be remembered little one.

Binky free at the bridge.

IMG-20120513-00025.jpg

One of the lucky ones Gray- no suffering. It's just you and Mrs Gray left with that.

Binky Free beautiful Bramble. X

Such a kind thing to do Gray. I know how upsetting it must have been for both of you :cry:

Binky free little Bramble xx

Good on you Graham and your wife.
How many people would have bothered to do what you did?
Restores my faith in the human race reading stories like that.
Well done .
Im sure Bramble is running free at the Bridge:love:

:( Poor baby. Sorry you and the Mrs had to go through that but what an act of kindness. RIP little baby wildie.

I shouldnt have read this at work :( binky free bramble.. I am glad you and your wife found her and gave her some love and comfort before her passing x

Binky free, Bramble.

I wish there were more men around like you, Gray. You and your wife are very compassionate people.

Back