• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Housing a spayed rabbit

We have recently chosen a rescue rabbit. She is being spayed on friday and then being delivered to us the same day all being well! I was just wondering would it be better to keep her inside or outside after the op? (She is used to living outside) aslo should they give her metacam to bring home after the op?

She should be kept inside for 24 - 48 hours after the op as she won't be able to regulate her body temperature properly. Keep her on some clean towels or fleeces so she doesn't get hay in the wound, but provide some hay in a bowl for her to eat as well as her normal food. I'd also get some fresh herbs to temp her to eat and ask what her favourite treats are. Make sure they give you some of the food she's used to. They should give you painkillers too for a few days after the operation.

I have to be honest, if i'm understanding correctly, I'm not sure that's fair on the rabbit.

My understanding is that she is staying where she is until Friday, being spayed on Friday and the moving to your home directly after her spay. Is that correct? If not, can you please correct me :)

If I have misunderstood then I apologise, however, if I am correct then I would say that moving home is exceptionally stressful. Being spayed is exceptionally painful and stressful. I would think doing all at once would be terrifying and very distressng for her and would actually hinder her recovery. I would suggest either getting her prior to spaying so that she can settle and know her space, to wait until at least 2 weeks after her spay and bring her home then.

Last edited:
Yes we plan on bringing her home straight after her spay. The problem is all the rescue rabbits are kept in hutches in a large open field and noone is there over night to keep and eye on her so if anything where to happen noone would know. Also there are alot of foxes and rats around the area and would be worried they'd target her after her op.

I do understand where your coming from but bringing her home is probably the best option?

I thankyou both for your advice. :)

If I were going to have her I would bring her home ASAP so she can settle and then be spayed :)

What would they normally do with buns post op if they haven't got a new home to go to yet? It does seem bizarre. Imagine being all dozy from an anaesthetic and uncomfortable from an op and then being taken to a strange place that you don't know is safe. :( There must be another option?

I agree with Sky-O, her being moved to a new place to be with new people straight after her spay, whilst she's still groggy from the op... it will be so stressful, verging on traumatic for her. It will likely also hinder her starting to eat again, which is a worry after a spay anyway. (In case you dont already know, rabbits have to constantly eat or their guts stop, if this happens it is an emergency and they can die in less than a day. When a rabbit ungoes anesthetic, it is hard to get their gut starting again post op, particularly as rabbits often stop eating if they are in pain too. Rabbits can also stop eating if they are very stressed, so having all this done on the same day is a big risk).

Can you talk to them, and ask whether you can sign something to say you have a legal responsibility to get her spayed within a month, or they can retrieve her? Its just really not in the rabbit's interest to have all that done in one day, they should know that. Obviously you have fallen in love with this rabbit, but I personally wouldnt want to adopt from a rescue that dont put their animal's welfare and happiness first, as well as looking after the prospective new owners.

Plus, I imagine you are a new owner, as you havent had experience of spaying rabbits before? Taking on a rabbit this way isnt just jumping in the deep end, its being thrown from a helicopter into the middle of the ocean. If something goes wrong, and you dont notice the change in her behaviour because you are inexperienced with rabbits or her own personal behaviour/personality, it could be very serious.

I understand bringing her straight home isn't the best option but I think it's in her best interest as if she went back to her home it would be in a open field in a hutch. I do have a neutered male and we went through a really traumatic time. He had a bleed after his op and had to be re opened. Then he came home and stopped eating and had to go back in several times to be put on a drip. Finally we got him home and got him back on track with hand feeding.

I understand bringing her straight home isn't the best option but I think it's in her best interest as if she went back to her home it would be in a open field in a hutch. I do have a neutered male and we went through a really traumatic time. He had a bleed after his op and had to be re opened. Then he came home and stopped eating and had to go back in several times to be put on a drip. Finally we got him home and got him back on track with hand feeding.

I would ask to see the Vet when you collect your Doe after her op' Then get the Vet to run through the exact post op' care she will need which should include pain relief and being kept indoors for about 48 hours. The Vet should not discharge her home until she has passed some feces and urine and has started to eat a little for herself. She should continue to do all three once home and eating should be back to normal within 48 hours. Poo output needs to be carefully monitored. You should be advised about restricting her activity for about a week, certainly no jumping up onto or down from things. Ask about when the Vet would like to see her for a post op check.

Good luck

I would ask to see the vet but the rescue people are collecting her and bringing her to our house so they can check where she will be housed etc.

Sorry to hear - this has no consideration for the rabbit. Perhaps the vet could keep her in there for 48 hours before the rescue collect her. This is bordering on cruelty. If you have a considerate vet they would see your point of view but it is very upsetting to hear that a rescue would do things this way. Hope all goes well. It is very stressful for a rabbit to be rehomed let alone have an operation all at the same time.

Back