Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Housing a spayed rabbit

New Kit

Default Housing a spayed rabbit

We have recently chosen a rescue rabbit. She is being spayed on friday and then being delivered to us the same day all being well! I was just wondering would it be better to keep her inside or outside after the op? (She is used to living outside) aslo should they give her metacam to bring home after the op?

Thanks

She should be kept inside for 24 - 48 hours after the op as she won't be able to regulate her body temperature properly. Keep her on some clean towels or fleeces so she doesn't get hay in the wound, but provide some hay in a bowl for her to eat as well as her normal food. I'd also get some fresh herbs to temp her to eat and ask what her favourite treats are. Make sure they give you some of the food she's used to. They should give you painkillers too for a few days after the operation.

Wise Old Thumper

I have to be honest, if i'm understanding correctly, I'm not sure that's fair on the rabbit.

My understanding is that she is staying where she is until Friday, being spayed on Friday and the moving to your home directly after her spay. Is that correct? If not, can you please correct me

If I have misunderstood then I apologise, however, if I am correct then I would say that moving home is exceptionally stressful. Being spayed is exceptionally painful and stressful. I would think doing all at once would be terrifying and very distressng for her and would actually hinder her recovery. I would suggest either getting her prior to spaying so that she can settle and know her space, to wait until at least 2 weeks after her spay and bring her home then.
    Last edited by Sky-O; 13-05-2012 at 06:42 PM.

Flash's Place - 'Live as Badger Lived', where the Sky's the limit!

Please Remember to Advocate for your Rabbit.

New Kit

Yes we plan on bringing her home straight after her spay. The problem is all the rescue rabbits are kept in hutches in a large open field and noone is there over night to keep and eye on her so if anything where to happen noone would know. Also there are alot of foxes and rats around the area and would be worried they'd target her after her op.

I do understand where your coming from but bringing her home is probably the best option?

I thankyou both for your advice.

Wise Old Thumper

If I were going to have her I would bring her home ASAP so she can settle and then be spayed

Flash's Place - 'Live as Badger Lived', where the Sky's the limit!

Please Remember to Advocate for your Rabbit.

New Kit

They won't let me bring her home before she's spayed. It's there policy.

What would they normally do with buns post op if they haven't got a new home to go to yet? It does seem bizarre. Imagine being all dozy from an anaesthetic and uncomfortable from an op and then being taken to a strange place that you don't know is safe. There must be another option?

Lots of beautiful buns available for adoption at Acomb Rabbit Rescue

IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

Check out my band!: Void Ship Captains

I agree with Sky-O, her being moved to a new place to be with new people straight after her spay, whilst she's still groggy from the op... it will be so stressful, verging on traumatic for her. It will likely also hinder her starting to eat again, which is a worry after a spay anyway. (In case you dont already know, rabbits have to constantly eat or their guts stop, if this happens it is an emergency and they can die in less than a day. When a rabbit ungoes anesthetic, it is hard to get their gut starting again post op, particularly as rabbits often stop eating if they are in pain too. Rabbits can also stop eating if they are very stressed, so having all this done on the same day is a big risk).

Can you talk to them, and ask whether you can sign something to say you have a legal responsibility to get her spayed within a month, or they can retrieve her? Its just really not in the rabbit's interest to have all that done in one day, they should know that. Obviously you have fallen in love with this rabbit, but I personally wouldnt want to adopt from a rescue that dont put their animal's welfare and happiness first, as well as looking after the prospective new owners.

Plus, I imagine you are a new owner, as you havent had experience of spaying rabbits before? Taking on a rabbit this way isnt just jumping in the deep end, its being thrown from a helicopter into the middle of the ocean. If something goes wrong, and you dont notice the change in her behaviour because you are inexperienced with rabbits or her own personal behaviour/personality, it could be very serious.
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM (OR ASK ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES).

New Kit

I understand bringing her straight home isn't the best option but I think it's in her best interest as if she went back to her home it would be in a open field in a hutch. I do have a neutered male and we went through a really traumatic time. He had a bleed after his op and had to be re opened. Then he came home and stopped eating and had to go back in several times to be put on a drip. Finally we got him home and got him back on track with hand feeding.

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Birds_Will_Fly View Post
    I understand bringing her straight home isn't the best option but I think it's in her best interest as if she went back to her home it would be in a open field in a hutch. I do have a neutered male and we went through a really traumatic time. He had a bleed after his op and had to be re opened. Then he came home and stopped eating and had to go back in several times to be put on a drip. Finally we got him home and got him back on track with hand feeding.
    I would ask to see the Vet when you collect your Doe after her op' Then get the Vet to run through the exact post op' care she will need which should include pain relief and being kept indoors for about 48 hours. The Vet should not discharge her home until she has passed some feces and urine and has started to eat a little for herself. She should continue to do all three once home and eating should be back to normal within 48 hours. Poo output needs to be carefully monitored. You should be advised about restricting her activity for about a week, certainly no jumping up onto or down from things. Ask about when the Vet would like to see her for a post op check.

Good luck