• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to choose a companion to bond to your rabbit ?

JeffR

Young Bun
I'm slowly winning my girlfriend over with the idea of having a pair inside the house instead of just a single bunny. It isn't done yet and we will likely not try a bond before next year since Moustache is still very young and not spayed, but I was just wondering how one goes about about choosing the best rabbit for your current bunny. I know that female/male is usually best, but personality and age wise. Is it best to pair rabbits approximately the same age ? Is it best, if you have a dominant bunny to try to find a more submissive one ? The reason I'm asking is because I really want to adopt from a rescue but I live two hours away from the nearest one so I might not have the option of having a shelter do the bonding for me or bringing in Moustache for "dates" with the residents. Plus, our bunny was pulled from mommy very young, so she probably doesn't have great rabbit social skills (altough she is trusting of humans).

Age and size doesn't make much of a difference, just personality. I've found that when an adopter approaches us about finding a friend for their rabbit, they often don't see the key things needed. I can't even tell you what the key things needed are because I tend to act on instinct. From the point of view of the rescue I find it easiest when I see the bunny and watch their behaviour and then ask the adopter questions relating to what I have seen.

I guess just get to know your bunny really well and then describe him. Date wise, we have had people bring their buns for two hour journeys to date and it's always been worth the journey to all the bunny to pick for themselves, however, not all bunnies travel well.

Age and size doesn't make much of a difference, just personality. I've found that when an adopter approaches us about finding a friend for their rabbit, they often don't see the key things needed. I can't even tell you what the key things needed are because I tend to act on instinct. From the point of view of the rescue I find it easiest when I see the bunny and watch their behaviour and then ask the adopter questions relating to what I have seen.

I guess just get to know your bunny really well and then describe him. Date wise, we have had people bring their buns for two hour journeys to date and it's always been worth the journey to all the bunny to pick for themselves, however, not all bunnies travel well.

Thanks for the quick reply. When the time comes, I'll be sure to ring the shelters and arrange a block of a few days when I can drive bunny around for her to pick or check if they can do the bonding for a donation, if at all possible (I haven't seen anyone offer that service on their website, but they might not advertise it). There's one shelter in particular where they have gorgeous long time residents and I'd love to give one of these rabbits a proper loving home. It's just that since I live so far away, I'm more than apprehensive about what will happen if I choose badly and the bunnies don't bond :shock: It wouldn't be fair to both the newcomer and my Moustache.

I'll also check for their relocation policies: they might not take to kindly on rehoming a bunny 120 miles away.

Last edited:
I would hope that a rescue would take a bunny back if they didn't bond, even if they don't do the bonding, which would eradicate the issue of them not bonding. That would be something to check from any you consider adopting from. :)

I would hope that a rescue would take a bunny back if they didn't bond, even if they don't do the bonding, which would eradicate the issue of them not bonding. That would be something to check from any you consider adopting from. :)

I'm sure they would, but the stress on the newcomer of two long car rides plus an unsuccessful bond is something to consider.

Windwhistle Warren rabbit and guinea pig rescue re-home nationwide.

They also do a wonderful bonding service.

Alice, the lady who runs the rescue really gets to know the personalities of her furry guests and ideally tries to match up suitable bunnies. It is all up to the bunnies in the end. They will chose.....sorry not you.

I cannot sing her praises highly enough.

There are other rescues who also would be able to help you out.

Best of luck.

Windwhistle Warren rabbit and guinea pig rescue re-home nationwide.

They also do a wonderful bonding service.

Alice, the lady who runs the rescue really gets to know the personalities of her furry guests and ideally tries to match up suitable bunnies. It is all up to the bunnies in the end. They will chose.....sorry not you.

I cannot sing her praises highly enough.

There are other rescues who also would be able to help you out.

Best of luck.

I live in Canada, might have to update my profile to reflect that :lol:

Hi,

Would be great if I could also jump on this to ask another question too along side a similar line!

I have a 5 month old spayed female mini lop called Lola! I would love to get her a husbun because I know the company would do her good.

I would also love to get a rescue and offer a bun a good home, so if anyone could tell me of a rescue place around the Liverpool/Merseyside area that would be a great start!

However if I can't find a rescue I would be keen to get a baby bunny as she isn't that old. However obviously the baby bunny would not be neutered. So if they bonded at first, then what would happen when the boy got older, and I got him spayed? Would I have to rebond them?

Hope this makes sense and sorry to Jeff for jumping on your thread!

Kate and Lola

Back