• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Told Not to Bond as it is 'Too Distressing'

Cari

Warren Veteran
Hello!
My local P@H have a lovely little PEW doe who needs rehoming and is about the same age as Stephen, they even have matching names (they'd be Stephen and Stella.. aww). She has been in P@H alone since last August and thought I might ask about a wifey-bun for Stevie as I think he's getting a little lonely. I asked about bonding and bringing Stephen in, or taking her home for a trial to see if they got on etc, and what they would recommend and they told me that they would not sell me a rabbit as a companion because it is 'too distressing' and 'too difficult' to bond rabbits. He made me feel really guilty for suggesting it, like I was doing something really wrong and he said that he would ensure that they didn't sell me a rabbit as I should just leave him on his own :( despite me trying to explain that up until recently Stephen had a friend and according to the information on Stella she doesn't need to be alone. Why sell rabbits that need rehoming to say that they are friendly and good with other animals but when you ask about bonding they tell you that she should be alone?

I don't really know what to do/ what to say! I was worrying about bonding before and now I'm really panicking about it.

Gosh thats scary and shows advice really does differ from store to store :shock::shock: Our p@h are brilliant with bunny advice cant believe what they said:evil:

Someone who can advise about bonding will be along soon...theyre may even be someone who lives close to you that could help you with the bonding :wave:

How sad. How many rabbits have been sold with that advice and left alone all their lives. :( rabbits are not too hard to bond as long as they are neutered.

Complain to his manager? Show them an RWAF leaflet saying that buns should be in neutered pairs (unless there is a medical or behavioural reason why they shouldnt). I agree it is stressful - but I mean more for the owner! Would it make a difference to you/P@H if you asked a rescue to help you bond (for a fee/donation)?

:shock: That's awful advice! It would be good if someone could have a word with the manager. It can't be company policy to give out such advice?

Helen - I was just a bit upset about it because I know that Stephen is getting a little lonely and poor Stella has been in that cage on her own for 9 months :( I'm not allowed to have her now so Stephen will have to remain on his own until I find a wifey-bun as I'd like him to have a friend his own age.

Elena - Stephen has been neutered for about a year and a bit now, and Stella, whilst described as a 'a little fiesty', has apparently calmed down since being spayed on 21.03.12. He said that if they had been raised together that they could live together ok but that it wasn't fair to try and bond rabbits who hadn't grown up together as it distresses them too much.

That's a load a :censored: poor bunny would be better outta there and friends with your bunny the stupid :censored: :evil:

Its just incorrect advice that will lead any bunny-owners he speaks to to think that its better for bunnies to live their lives in isolation. Its not on. I personally would make a complaint & ask to speak to the manager, armed with literature that says the opposite.

I would go into the store, demand to speak to the manager and explain fully why bunnies need a friend, how you are well clued up on how to bond them and how ridiculous it is that they would suggest rabbits are unbondable when they are such social creatures.

I also wouldn't leave until they agreed to sell Stella......

Ridiculous!!!!

helgalush and CaptainHelen - I'm quite new to rabbits, especially as when we did have a family rabbit before he did live on his own (gosh I feel sorry for him now, sorry Cuddles Caramel - I didn't name him :p) so I wasn't sure if that was the right advice or not, I was just a bit stunned as I have read on here about successful bonding and tips on what to do. I asked them about bonding in a neutral space, I didn't think about a rescue although that's a good idea and the gentleman just said "we wouldn't be able to tell if they'd get on or not, and most likely they wouldn't". :(

I don't know about company policy etc (obviously) I just thought they'd be happy that I wanted to try and take a rabbit who had been there for so long, and give her some love and attention, especially as she's practically an old lady now at almost 2 years old and it is obvious due to how long she's been there that the majority of people want they cute little kits that they put on display.

Sighs.

Helen - I was just a bit upset about it because I know that Stephen is getting a little lonely and poor Stella has been in that cage on her own for 9 months :( I'm not allowed to have her now so Stephen will have to remain on his own until I find a wifey-bun as I'd like him to have a friend his own age.

Elena - Stephen has been neutered for about a year and a bit now, and Stella, whilst described as a 'a little fiesty', has apparently calmed down since being spayed on 21.03.12. He said that if they had been raised together that they could live together ok but that it wasn't fair to try and bond rabbits who hadn't grown up together as it distresses them too much.

:roll: Tell that to the hundreds of happy bun couples on here that didn't grow up together! What a fool.

You might be better off looking in local rescues for a partner for Stephen. That way, if the bond doesn't work the new bun can go back to the rescue. Or they might even do the bonding for you if you're worried about doing it. If the P@H bun didn't bond with Stephen you would have two singles to find friends for. Or you could get someone else to buy Stella.

Total rubbish!! Boy/Girl bonds are wonderful.and your boy will be delighted to have a wife for cuddles and company.Go get her.Ensure shes speyed and we will help with step by step instructions.xxx

Well Nutmeg had two years on her own, another six months with Mini and Mischa and is now happily settled and bonded with Smudge. She's much more content now. You only have to see a pair of rabbits cuddled up together to realise they need company.

I would go into the store, demand to speak to the manager and explain fully why bunnies need a friend, how you are well clued up on how to bond them and how ridiculous it is that they would suggest rabbits are unbondable when they are such social creatures.

I also wouldn't leave until they agreed to sell Stella......

Ridiculous!!!!

I'm quite shy so the idea of speaking to a manager is somewhat frightening and I'm not all that clued up on it which is why I didn't say anything in the first place. I am trying to learn though and appreciate how important that Stephen isn't just left on his own for the rest of his life, it isn't fair on him.

Who said youre not allowed to have her now???

Well the gentleman in the shop said he would ensure I wasn't sold her as a 'companion' as it's not fair on either of the rabbits to be put through the stress of bonding.

Just a quick post I can't stress enough when people say rabbits need companions ... There's lots of people on here that will give you lots of brilliant advice :)

I'm quite shy so the idea of speaking to a manager is somewhat frightening and I'm not all that clued up on it which is why I didn't say anything in the first place. I am trying to learn though and appreciate how important that Stephen isn't just left on his own for the rest of his life, it isn't fair on him.

Well the gentleman in the shop said he would ensure I wasn't sold her as a 'companion' as it's not fair on either of the rabbits to be put through the stress of bonding.

I smell more P@H bull:censored:
My 3 boys are all unrelated and :love: each other.
I would normally suggest getting a rescue bun, but if they are telling people she can't have a companion, I would go and get her. Or she will spend her life lonely.
Just get somebody else to buy her for you. Simples.
I do hate P@H :evil:

:roll: Tell that to the hundreds of happy bun couples on here that didn't grow up together! What a fool.

You might be better off looking in local rescues for a partner for Stephen. That way, if the bond doesn't work the new bun can go back to the rescue. Or they might even do the bonding for you if you're worried about doing it. If the P@H bun didn't bond with Stephen you would have two singles to find friends for. Or you could get someone else to buy Stella.

I agree with this. A rescue might work out better for you as many offer help with bonding.

I feel sorry for Stella, poor little bun. But she isn't your responsibility right now, Stephen is and you have to do what's best for you and your bun. :)

CaptainHelen - That is what confused me, knowing that so many people here ask for advice on bonding couples that haven't been brought up together. I know what you mean about that, I didn't know where to start with local rescues (as the RSPCA and I don't see eye to eye either, but that's a long story about dogs...) which is why I was asking the gentleman about neutral spaces and taking her home on a trial basis to see how it went. I don't know whether he just didn't want her to go and come back again but if that was the case he should have said, not told me that it was too distressing to bond them in the first place.

yvette - If it were that easy I would go and get her, but now I'm just panicking about it and a bit upset.

Elena - I know, I have a friend who fosters for the local RSPCA and her huge little herd of rabbits would definitely tell you how happy they are to have company.

Hiya where abouts in the east midlands are you may be someone on here can help you with the bonding if you was to get her

Back