• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Told Not to Bond as it is 'Too Distressing'

As you have a feeling for this bunny can you not ask a friend to go and get her. If I lived near I would go. Nothing ventured nothing gained. This bunny needs a chance of happiness and you want to give her that chance. Don't be afraid to find a way.

Hiya where abouts in the east midlands are you may be someone on here can help you with the bonding if you was to get her

I live in Leicester. I'm just unsure now because I was worried about it before, not just from a stress point of view but from a cage size and space issue (as Stephen lives in the living room and we only have enough space for one cage) and now I've been told off for suggesting that I take this poor girlie home. I'd love to take her so she wasn't left by herself tasteofchaos but I'd feel guilty doing it, like I was stealing her away from someone who might look after her better than me.

tonibun - I could ask my partner to go and get her for me later on in the week as I'm sure he wouldn't mind, I'm just worried about it all now.

I live in Leicester. I'm just unsure now because I was worried about it before, not just from a stress point of view but from a cage size and space issue (as Stephen lives in the living room and we only have enough space for one cage) and now I've been told off for suggesting that I take this poor girlie home. I'd love to take her so she wasn't left by herself tasteofchaos but I'd feel guilty doing it, like I was stealing her away from someone who might look after her better than me.
tonibun - I could ask my partner to go and get her for me later on in the week as I'm sure he wouldn't mind, I'm just worried about it all now.

Given they are telling people she can't be bonded with another bun, it's highly likely any other home she got would be alone, spending her whole life lonely. We all worry about giving our buns the best home possible, but as long as they have food, water, love, vet care etc then I think we have nothing to worry about. Your home is likely to be 10x better than another home she would get from that place. That's if she could get a home, given how long she has been there. Send your partner to go and get her, and then we want pictures! :lol:

"They are not used to being on their own so will need a friend, or lots of your love and attention to keep them happy." --- Pets at Home website. :shock:

"Do I like company?

Rabbits are very sociable and are happiest when they have another rabbit for company. However, they should be neutered to prevent breeding or fighting. Neutered rabbits tend to live happily together. The best pairing is usually a neutered male with a spayed female." --- Pets at Home Care Guide for Rabbits

Now I'm just plain confused.

tasteofchaos - I'll give it a proper think over, I think I just saw Stella, felt awfully sorry for her and fell in love on the spot. I'd love to find Stephen a wifey but I need to ensure I've got enough space for them both. I was just confused about what they said to me, but now I know it was wrong.

You might be her last hope as you say she has been there since August - that's 9 months! I took a rabbit from a local garden centre - he'd been there 6 months and he's as good as gold. He loves Blossom very much and they are very happy. Go for it!

If you get the bunny ask someone at a rescue near you if they would help bond your bunnys for you both bunnys would be happier with a playmate :D

Update

Have been in today as I desperately needed some hay and my little local shop didn't have any. Poor Stella is still there but today got completely different advice... Bring Stephen back and if they get on she's yours. Wut?! Now got to work up the nerve to buy her, convince the OH,and work out what to do.

Last edited:
Awww, that's great! Sounds like the person who spoke to you to begin with wasn't very knowledgeable. Hope it all works out :)

Good luck, hope it all works out for you. Sounds like you can give a her a lovely home.

We have done 3 successful bonds and none were related. I hope it is love at first sight for them for you.

Last edited:
I'd buy her, quarentine her for 2 weeks and then start bonding her with your lad!

None of my rabbits have been related, but have bonded perfectly well!

If you get the bunny ask someone at a rescue near you if they would help bond your bunnys for you both bunnys would be happier with a playmate :D

^^^this^^^

Why not give Jill a call & talk through the scenario with her?

Go an get her. They just knocked your confidence but you sound like a great owner. And if you're not you've got us to knock you into shape. ;)

The rabbit welfare association (and every other animal welfare body that issues advice on rabbits) believe that rabbits are best kept in pair and groups. It would be helpful to have a read of this: http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/b_buds_jul_04.pdf

One thing I would say, is to be prepared to deal with any health problems she may have, as whilst most rescues will health check and check the teeth of all rabbits before rehoming, it isnt general p@h policy to necessarily do so, although I believe in some stores they may.

Cari you have already contacted me re finding Stephen a wife
PAh are, not surprisingly, talking nonesense.but a few things

to see a rabbit alone in their store is sad..but if you get her she will be replaced by another next week and you cannot save them all

if you adopt from a rescue, like us, we will bond for you..and if the bond doesn't work we can try a different rabbit and you knwo the origianl one will be safe

if you buy this rabbits from PAH and the bonding doesn't work..what will you do with her as i doubt you'd want to take her back

do think that through before getting her.alot of the adoptin rabbits in there are stock that has grown..so moved dept to allow them to buy in new baby one..makes me mad:censored:
my personal view is do not go in there..the less animals bought from them, the more likely they are to stop selling them

Cari you have already contacted me re finding Stephen a wife
PAh are, not surprisingly, talking nonesense.but a few things

to see a rabbit alone in their store is sad..but if you get her she will be replaced by another next week and you cannot save them all

if you adopt from a rescue, like us, we will bond for you..and if the bond doesn't work we can try a different rabbit and you knwo the origianl one will be safe

if you buy this rabbits from PAH and the bonding doesn't work..what will you do with her as i doubt you'd want to take her back

do think that through before getting her.alot of the adoptin rabbits in there are stock that has grown..so moved dept to allow them to buy in new baby one..makes me mad:censored:
my personal view is do not go in there..the less animals bought from them, the more likely they are to stop selling them

Hiya,

I have yes, I'm currently exploring all avenues that may lead to finding Stevie a wifey-bun. I saw this rabbit on a trip to P@H and just thought she was lovely and felt terribly sorry for her. She was someone's pet but they couldn't look after her any longer, took her to be rehomed with a friend and they split them up immediately after they arrrived (not sure why).

I am very interested in adopting from a rescue which is why I contacted you and fully appreciate the support you would provide with bonding. I know I have to have a homecheck etc so am very keen to get the ball rolling as the longer I leave Stephen on his own the worse I feel and the lonlier he looks.

Awww, there's no need to feel bad. Getting Stephen a friend is the kindest thing to do and he is clearly a much loved bunny :love:

Why don't you get the homecheck sorted asap anyway and then at least that's another thing ticked off the 'to do' list :thumb:

Awww, there's no need to feel bad. Getting Stephen a friend is the kindest thing to do and he is clearly a much loved bunny :love:

Why don't you get the homecheck sorted asap anyway and then at least that's another thing ticked off the 'to do' list :thumb:

OK, well I don't know how best to go about it but if one of you lovely Honeybunnies would like to arrange it with me I'd appreciate it :) pm or email or ring me, I emailed my details the other week.

Back