• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Not a good day today...

I found out what was killing the babies. We had a rat in the building and it was eating them. Actually it was one of my pet rats that had escaped from a hutch I was keepign them in outside. Needless to say, this rat won't live much longer. Next time dad goes outside he's going to take care of it.

Am trying to think how to word this without seeming too harsh.

I would be totally distraught if a rat ate any of my buns, but it isn't really the rat's fault - he or she was just acting according to instinct. As the rat is a pet couldn't you just ensure the hutch s/he is in is escape proof so it doesn't happen again?

I don't have pet rats but killing a pet rat because s/he was just being 'a rat' made me feel really sad.

Please don't let your Dad kill the rat. He/She was only doing what is instinctive.

Instead why don't you capture it and either rehome it or put it in a secure cage and look after it as a pet rat again ?

It's not poor ratties fault :cry::cry:

It hasn't been killed, but it will not continue to live here. I don't take care of animals that kill my other animals. I'm dropping it off at a pet store and they can rehome it along with the other 4.

I'm speechless at this post. :shock:
I'm quite upset over the things you have said being a rabbit and rat lover you clearly have little understanding of both these animals.

Back