• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Unexplained sores on rabbits back?

DemiS

Warren Veteran
A few weeks ago my grandma noticed a sore on Rorys back, she didn't know where it had come from or when it happened but there was quite a bald patch of fur, and a sore under which was starting to scab over so we put some antiseptic cream on and it seemed to get better, but then she's just rung and said the sore has got a lot bigger :? Do rabbits 'self harm' this way, or is he doing it when he's out in the garden? He has free range of the garden but I can't imagine anywhere where he could of gotten stuck and done it :? No parasites or anything, and it appeared after he had to be separated from his partner so she hasn't done it

ETA: We'll take him to the vet if it gets worse but I want to know what could actually be causing this

mabye he has been grooming himself and bit off some fur but i would recommend you take him to the doctors and hopefully his hair grows back:) good luck:thumb:

mabye he has been grooming himself and bit off some fur but i would recommend you take him to the doctors and hopefully his hair grows back:) good luck:thumb:

hmm I doubt it's from grooming as it's pretty big to be accidental, he's healing up fine but if it happens again I'm going to have to take him to the vet

Even if it is somewhere in the garden/garage the fur he's getting stuck in, I can't imagine anyplace or anything that would take all that fur out

One of my rabbits developed exactly the same thing on her nose.

When I took her to the vets he was mystified as to what it could be but suggested a tumour of some kind, but to leave it and see how it developed.

It well and truly and quite nastily scabbed over but eventually healed up leaving a nasty scar. But Sophie rabbit was fine.

At the time I read up on this and the conclusion I came to, was a form of myxi - a mild form, which vaccinated rabbits can get and which affects the skin. The Vet made no mention of it, but I am convinced that is what is was. She was completely unaffected other than the sore/scab and the scar it left.

Might be worth reading up and seeing if it could be this form of myxi.

An piece taken from a website:

"If a vaccinated rabbit develops myxomatosis, the disease is usually much less severe. The exact pattern of disease seen in vaccinated animals is very variable, and impossible to predict: it depends upon how much immunity the rabbit has. Some rabbits develop just a few odd skin lesions and remain otherwise well; "

This might be totally out the box but horses develop round bald and scabby patches with ring worm? I have no idea if buns can get ring worm though.

its worth taking a picture and posting it on here, as it helps to give the other posters some more info to try and help you
also good to monitor progress/change over time

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ERU6Kw7URaAppFNt1
https://photos.app.goo.gl/SYY9u362cS8V2rV92

I have had this Rabbit for less than a week. I was told that the sores were from bites of litter mates but I find that hard to believe. Any Help Please. Putting antibiotic cream on it.

Hi there and welcome to the forum :wave:

You may find you get more answers if you start a different thread from this one, as it's quite old now.

However, I think you should get the bites looked at by a vet. They look like they are getting infected. The rabbit may need systemic antibiotics.

Do you know whether the rabbit has had any injections or vaccinations within the last few weeks?

Back