• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Concerned about neighbours' bunny *UD good news!*

sierra*323

Mama Doe
At the end of my garden there's a little path, and on the other side there's a rabbit hutch. It's one of those hutch above run setups, not disgustingly tiny but not up to RWA standards. It used to be home to a pair of buns, but I've only seen one recently - although I can only see the back so the other one could be hiding.

I'm just a bit concerned as every time I pass I glance in, and it doesn't seem to have been cleaned in a good few days... the floor of the run is slowly filling up with droppings :( I poked a dandelion through the fence (probably shoudn't have, but it had eaten all the ones in reach) and it was nervous at first but then accepted it and stood up to see me, it seems friendly but sad :(

The owners obviously care as they took the hutch inside when it snowed, and I've heard them teaching their little boy to be gentle, but the bad weather appears to be putting them off, and I can't stop thinking about it! I can't see any hay, but as I said I can't see the front of the hutch part, so it could be stuffed full for all I know.

Last edited:
If I were you I would just pop a really friendly note through the door. As you say, they obviously care for the bun/buns so you don't want to upset them unnecessarily. Either that, or maybe pop round and say you've just seen the bunny through the fence, and you love bunnies yourself so you would love to meet it. Although that one requires you to be a lot braver with face to face contact! Either way, i wouldn't presume they are doing anything wrong until you know any better, as you say they could have provided lots of hay etc and care for bun/buns.

Maybe a note... as you say, I don't want to upset anyone as it/they are kept reasonably well compared with others, it's just been niggling at the back of my mind.

Thanks for your reply!

If I were you I would just pop a really friendly note through the door. As you say, they obviously care for the bun/buns so you don't want to upset them unnecessarily. Either that, or maybe pop round and say you've just seen the bunny through the fence, and you love bunnies yourself so you would love to meet it. Although that one requires you to be a lot braver with face to face contact! Either way, i wouldn't presume they are doing anything wrong until you know any better, as you say they could have provided lots of hay etc and care for bun/buns.

I would def do the pop round bit - many a bunny has been saved by this . . .

Why not pop round. You have rabbits so why not take something over as an excuse. Some tasty hay or a toy and say you love rabbits and you'd like to meet it and you had such and such spare so you thought you'd bring it over. You could say if they have any questions you know quite a lot about rabbits so they are welcome to ask you. :wave:

Why not pop round. You have rabbits so why not take something over as an excuse. Some tasty hay or a toy and say you love rabbits and you'd like to meet it and you had such and such spare so you thought you'd bring it over. You could say if they have any questions you know quite a lot about rabbits so they are welcome to ask you. :wave:

I was wondering about taking some treat hay round, but couldn't think how to word it! They sell the marigold burgess forage hay at the vets, maybe I could get some and say my buns weren't keen and prefer their normal stuff...? Even if I can't meet the bun then at least it can have some tasty hay!

I was wondering about taking some treat hay round, but couldn't think how to word it! They sell the marigold burgess forage hay at the vets, maybe I could get some and say my buns weren't keen and prefer their normal stuff...? Even if I can't meet the bun then at least it can have some tasty hay!

:thumb::thumb:

Yes. I would do this, approach it as rabbit owners all in this together sort of way, complain about the weather and how difficult it is to go out in the rain but you know it is so important to be done... that sort of thing. Offer to share anything and often if possible. This is what I have recently done with someone who didn't think their rabbit needed hay :shock:

Good luck x

To be honest I wouldn't do anything. As you said you don't know much about it, they could have loads of hay and be very well looked after.

Not cleaning out for a few days in winter isn't an immediate concern. I only clean out every 4-5 days when the weather isn't great.

Popping round with some nice hay would be no problem, I would think. But it doesn't sound too concerning really. :thumb:

To be honest I wouldn't do anything. As you said you don't know much about it, they could have loads of hay and be very well looked after.

Not cleaning out for a few days in winter isn't an immediate concern. I only clean out every 4-5 days when the weather isn't great.

I think the thing is that the OP will always have it 'on her mind' if she does not find out what is happenning - I would be the same. If its fine then thats fine - if not - maybe she can help in some way:D

you could take some hay and lie a little saying your fussy buns won't eat it. that way it doesn't look like interfering but it might get them chatting to you about their bunny. :)

you could take some hay and lie a little saying your fussy buns won't eat it. that way it doesn't look like interfering but it might get them chatting to you about their bunny. :)

I think I might have to try this now, bunny still hasn't been cleaned out, the downstairs is covered with a layer of poo about 3 cm thick. Although the hutch might be clean, bun looks a bit scrawny and seems to be moulting, so a bit extra hay won't hurt.

I think I might have to try this now, bunny still hasn't been cleaned out, the downstairs is covered with a layer of poo about 3 cm thick. Although the hutch might be clean, bun looks a bit scrawny and seems to be moulting, so a bit extra hay won't hurt.

That certainly isn't acceptable, popping round is probably your best bet. And casually drop in the high risk of fly strike with the poo...

That certainly isn't acceptable, popping round is probably your best bet. And casually drop in the high risk of fly strike with the poo...

That was my main concern. OH said I am being ridiculous, but that he understands (he's not a fan of the rabbits but knows how much I care and therefore worry!)

Wish I could do more but I really don't want to upset anyone so close to home. Hopefully once they realise I know he/she is there they will get their act together for him?

how is this going??? I would be worried about the bun now if still no signs of cleaning etc. Have you popped round tp them yet?

Update

Bunny still hasn't been cleaned, so I popped over with some 'unwanted' hay from my two... a girl around my age opened the door, and was very appreciative! I said mine weren't interested in it and she replied that you never know until you try. She had a screaming child in the background so I didn't keep her long, but said I often said hello to her rabbit through the fence. It is a girl, and while I'm still worried about how often she is cleaned out at least I know she has a friendly owner who appreciated a treat for her. She is obviously busy but hopefully now she knows I'm here she will find some extra time or ask for help!

I feel a bit better and am glad I popped round. At least even if the bunny is bored in her hutch she has some tasty hay now.

Well done, hopefully now your neighbour will be more aware of her own bun and will want to share some time in bunny talk with you - a common interest.

Keep us informed!

Bunny has been cleaned!

They've finally cleaned her out, after over a fortnight! She looks sleek and shiny, I think they may have brushed her too :thumb::D

Back