Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Concerned about neighbours' bunny *UD good news!*

Default Concerned about neighbours' bunny *UD good news!*

At the end of my garden there's a little path, and on the other side there's a rabbit hutch. It's one of those hutch above run setups, not disgustingly tiny but not up to RWA standards. It used to be home to a pair of buns, but I've only seen one recently - although I can only see the back so the other one could be hiding.

I'm just a bit concerned as every time I pass I glance in, and it doesn't seem to have been cleaned in a good few days... the floor of the run is slowly filling up with droppings I poked a dandelion through the fence (probably shoudn't have, but it had eaten all the ones in reach) and it was nervous at first but then accepted it and stood up to see me, it seems friendly but sad

The owners obviously care as they took the hutch inside when it snowed, and I've heard them teaching their little boy to be gentle, but the bad weather appears to be putting them off, and I can't stop thinking about it! I can't see any hay, but as I said I can't see the front of the hutch part, so it could be stuffed full for all I know.
    Last edited by sierra*323; 12-05-2012 at 09:43 PM.

If I were you I would just pop a really friendly note through the door. As you say, they obviously care for the bun/buns so you don't want to upset them unnecessarily. Either that, or maybe pop round and say you've just seen the bunny through the fence, and you love bunnies yourself so you would love to meet it. Although that one requires you to be a lot braver with face to face contact! Either way, i wouldn't presume they are doing anything wrong until you know any better, as you say they could have provided lots of hay etc and care for bun/buns.
    Dish - I'll love you forever, I'll like you for always, As long as I'm living, My baby you'll be - R.I.P. 13/3/12.

13/7/13 - Jake. There aren't the words.

Maybe a note... as you say, I don't want to upset anyone as it/they are kept reasonably well compared with others, it's just been niggling at the back of my mind.

Thanks for your reply!

Quote Originally Posted by tasteofchaos View Post
    If I were you I would just pop a really friendly note through the door. As you say, they obviously care for the bun/buns so you don't want to upset them unnecessarily. Either that, or maybe pop round and say you've just seen the bunny through the fence, and you love bunnies yourself so you would love to meet it. Although that one requires you to be a lot braver with face to face contact! Either way, i wouldn't presume they are doing anything wrong until you know any better, as you say they could have provided lots of hay etc and care for bun/buns.
    I would def do the pop round bit - many a bunny has been saved by this . . .
    Who carry in their hearts Sweet Pea, Florence, Bramble, Parsnip, Quickthorn, Quince, Sage and little Snowdrop. We also remember Viola who visited.

Why not pop round. You have rabbits so why not take something over as an excuse. Some tasty hay or a toy and say you love rabbits and you'd like to meet it and you had such and such spare so you thought you'd bring it over. You could say if they have any questions you know quite a lot about rabbits so they are welcome to ask you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenova View Post
    Why not pop round. You have rabbits so why not take something over as an excuse. Some tasty hay or a toy and say you love rabbits and you'd like to meet it and you had such and such spare so you thought you'd bring it over. You could say if they have any questions you know quite a lot about rabbits so they are welcome to ask you.
    I was wondering about taking some treat hay round, but couldn't think how to word it! They sell the marigold burgess forage hay at the vets, maybe I could get some and say my buns weren't keen and prefer their normal stuff...? Even if I can't meet the bun then at least it can have some tasty hay!

Quote Originally Posted by sierra*323 View Post
    I was wondering about taking some treat hay round, but couldn't think how to word it! They sell the marigold burgess forage hay at the vets, maybe I could get some and say my buns weren't keen and prefer their normal stuff...? Even if I can't meet the bun then at least it can have some tasty hay!
    "All animals except for man know that the principle business of life is to enjoy it." -- Samuel Butler

Mama Doe

Quote Originally Posted by sierra*323 View Post
    Yes. I would do this, approach it as rabbit owners all in this together sort of way, complain about the weather and how difficult it is to go out in the rain but you know it is so important to be done... that sort of thing. Offer to share anything and often if possible. This is what I have recently done with someone who didn't think their rabbit needed hay

Good luck x

To be honest I wouldn't do anything. As you said you don't know much about it, they could have loads of hay and be very well looked after.

Not cleaning out for a few days in winter isn't an immediate concern. I only clean out every 4-5 days when the weather isn't great.

Alpha Buck

Popping round with some nice hay would be no problem, I would think. But it doesn't sound too concerning really.