• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ernie is not well - UPDATE: Suspected EC - Bloods being taken today.

I noticed Ernie wasn't well on Weds night. Not eating and very quiet.
After observing for about an hour, I gave him some Metacam and Fibreplex.
The next morning at 6.30am he was no better. I went to get him out of the hutch but he jumped down and lost his balance. So I rushed him off to the vets. The vet said he was unbalanced due to the pain he was feeling. HIs stomach was empty and he could feel a compacted mass. He had 3 injections and we came home. He ate a dandelion leaf, had a drink and did 2 teeny poos. SO I felt confident he was on the mend and went to work at 10.30am.
When I got home at 4.45pm, he was no better, so I took him straight back to the vets.
The vet ( a different one) decided that she wanted to keep him overnight.
The next morning there was no change. No eating, drinking, pooing or weeing. I went in to see him in the afternoon. He had a cardboard box, which he was sitting under, some hay and Pellets I had given them and a bowl of water. I asked a lady if they had a litter tray as that was what he was used to and we popped it in. But no poos or wees. I had him on the floor for a hop around for about 30 mins. He did not wee or poo.
I spoke to the vet again and she wanted to keep him in again overnight.
I took some veg and dandelion leaves back for him and went back home.
This morning I called and he had eaten a tiny bit of veg overnight, but still no poos or wees :cry:
I went back to see him and the nurse told me he didn't have his recovery food as he was a bit fiesty. So I syringed fed him some instead. :?:? I got him out for a run around again which he seemed to enjoy. I put his litter tray in the corner of the room and sat him in it. He did an enormous wee over the edge of it:p:p But still no poos. I let the vet know and we both agreed that if I took him home, he might do some poos if he was in familiar surrounding and with Eric and Honey.
So home we came and again he just sat there. No wees, no eating, no pooing:cry::cry:
Then he went out in the run and sat in the litter tray. When I picked him up he had done 6 tiny black poos!:p:p
I bought him back indoors for more food and water syringing and a hop around.

He is back in the shed now, but I am still very worried about the following:
He is not eating - especially not hay
He is not drinking by himself
He is not weeing
Only managed a few small black poos!
Is still insteady on his feet

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
This sounds exactly what happened to Stu a few weeks ago. Except he didn't have a mass. He was very unsteady and took along time to improve. I did a 28 day course of panacur to be the safe side. I syringe fed him every few hours and some water if he was not drinking. Hope he improves soon.

Did the Vet check in Ernie's ears ?

An ear infection can cause loss of balance and the pain and general 'unwellness' an ear infection causes will stop a Bun from eating which, in turn, will stop the GI tract from functioning.

Is he still on medication, especially pain relief ?

This sounds exactly what happened to Stu a few weeks ago. Except he didn't have a mass. He was very unsteady and took along time to improve. I did a 28 day course of panacur to be the safe side. I syringe fed him every few hours and some water if he was not drinking. Hope he improves soon.

Thank You.
Poor Stu :( I hope he is better now x

I only bought him home about 12 noon today and am syring feeding him water and Recovery sachet. Another lot due soon.
He will have Metacam and Zantac this evening too.
I think I will be going back to the vets tomorrow.

Did the Vet check in Ernie's ears ?

An ear infection can cause loss of balance and the pain and general 'unwellness' an ear infection causes will stop a Bun from eating which, in turn, will stop the GI tract from functioning.

Is he still on medication, especially pain relief ?

Hello Jane:wave:
The vets have not checked his ears. I think they were just concentrating Ernie not eating and drinking and not what the cause may be.
I have mentioned his loss of balance three times now and they said it was due to pain, I am not sure about that!
He is on Metacam, fibreplex, Zantac and Recovery sachet food. I am also syringing water regularly.
I am really worried as we have had a total of 8 poos, only eaten a couple of dandelion leaves and not had any hay or water drunk!

I am calling the vet back tomorrow. Could he have an x-ray even though he hasn't eaten naturally? I know a GA is dangerous on an empty stomach.

I think I would want to try to establish the primary cause of his not eating. Certainly taking into account the possibility of an ear infection.

Did the Vet comment on whether the abdominal 'mass' had changed at all ?

Bless him, poor Ernie :cry: I don't really know what to suggest I'm afraid - might it be possible for them to do a conscious x-ray? It's not ideal but it might give some idea of what might be going on if a GA is too risky.

I do hope that the lovely little chap perks up very soon xx

I think I would want to try to establish the primary cause of his not eating. Certainly taking into account the possibility of an ear infection.

Did the Vet comment on whether the abdominal 'mass' had changed at all ?

Me too Jane - I am not sure if they had even examined him again. I think they just wanted to get him funtioning again, rather than finding the cause:evil::evil:
My mind is made up and we will be going back tomorrow morning.

I want to know why he is unsteady. When I have put him in a litter tray he struggles to get out. he almost seems like he is drunk!

Someone said that if he had had Vetergesic, he might be a bit woozy. He has had some of this and it looks like it was only one dose when reading our receipt. Possibly yesterday.

Bless him, poor Ernie :cry: I don't really know what to suggest I'm afraid - might it be possible for them to do a conscious x-ray? It's not ideal but it might give some idea of what might be going on if a GA is too risky.

I do hope that the lovely little chap perks up very soon xx
Thank you for replying anyway :)
I don't know if Ernie would sit still for a concious x-ray, but no harm in trying.
I am beginning to lose faith in the vets now.

I have just been thinking about the chain of events and I Ernie stumbled before I took him to the vets the first time, so I don;t think having the vetergesic would have been the cause of his unsteadiness.

I have just been thinking about the chain of events and I Ernie stumbled before I took him to the vets the first time, so I don;t think having the vetergesic would have been the cause of his unsteadiness.

Janes mention of an ear infection does sound very possible Jayne. Push it at the vets tomorrow morning (hugs) xxx

How is Ernie this morning ?

Another possible issue may be a hip/spinal problem if it is his back end that is unsteady/weak. Back pain would also cause loss of appetite/gut slow down.

Try to push the Vet to looking for a primary cause of the lack of eating, there often is one.

How is Ernie this morning ?

Another possible issue may be a hip/spinal problem if it is his back end that is unsteady/weak. Back pain would also cause loss of appetite/gut slow down.

Try to push the Vet to looking for a primary cause of the lack of eating, there often is one.

Hi JAne
Thanks for asking - no change with Ernie. He did 6 very small black hard poos overnight, but he is still not eating.
I have him indoors now to observe him.
He has had all his meds and critical care and I have syringed his water.
I have spoken to the vet and she says to keep doing what we are doing and that it's good he is pooing (even though they are not well formed).
I asked if he could have an ear infection and she said she saw no signs of head tilt.
I also asked if we could do an x-ray and she said, it wasn't really worth it as nothing much shows up regards to the tummy and she didn't think he had a fracture. I am so upset now, that she is just wanting to continue as we are :cry:
A friend has recommended a "companion Care" vet some distance from us and I am seriously considering taking him there today.

Oh no, poor Ernie :cry: When my Storm had EC it caused her to wobble about like she was drunk. She only ever had a tiny head tilt. The mass in his stomach is quite worrying. I think it would definitely be worth doing an xray, a blockage might show up. If he's so poorly I'm sure they could do a conscious xray. Is your vet rabbit savvy? I think I would be pushing for more diagnostics since it's been two days now. Did they have him on an IV when he was admitted? Sending lots of vibes for Ernie xx

More news!
Ernie has just eaten some Brocolli, Dandelions, Hay, had drink and we think he ate some Caecals.
Just need the poo now.
He is flopped out and relaxed, so hoping his tummy is feeling better.

Back