• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Idiots guide on difference between Rearguard and Beaphar Fly Guard?

catherine09

Mama Doe
As title says, I really don't understand the difference between these two. I know it must be vast as one is prescription only (I assumed Rearguard was as can only get it at vets?) and there is a huge difference in price.

For healthy bunnies, do either need to be applied?

Advice welcomed :D

If your rabbit is healthy annd keeps herself clean then in my opinion you shouldn't need to use rearguard. It has chemicals in it which the rabbit would lick off. It's only for bunnies who get a messy bottom..

If your bunny husbandry is great,then you dont need this stuff.

Overweight,arthritic or sick bunnies need it as they are too podgy or ache too much to groom themselves.
If they have bad teeth and sore mouth they might need it as they cant groom properly due to mouth and tooth problems.

Ive never used it, not even on my disabled buns as I ensured cleanliness 24/7.

Yes I've read elsewhere that if you have a healthy bun you shouldn't need this so thanks for confirming - definitely won't be using either this summer :D.

I however have always wondered what the differences are if I ever needed to use either in the future :wave:

Yes I've read elsewhere that if you have a healthy bun you shouldn't need this so thanks for confirming - definitely won't be using either this summer :D.

I however have always wondered what the differences are if I ever needed to use either in the future :wave:

unsure.i presumed they were the same sort of thing.

The sprays you can just buy over the counter are insecticide (permethrin usually) based and are deisgned to kill on contact, so they attempt to kill the larvae/maggots once they have hatched.
Cryomazine that is in Rearguard stops larval development and therefore prevents the eggs developing into larvae/maggots in the first place.

I never use either as my two have fly screens over their runs so top them getting in and we just make sure we check them often.

Beaphar Fly Guard can be used to help protect -at risk- rabbits from flystrike, you can buy it without prescription. Rearguard is used on rabbits that have fly strike and may sometimes be used as a prevention, it's prescription only. If you think your rabbits are at risk speak to your vet and discuss the options. Beaphar Fly Guard is not a simple 'spot on' type treatment, you have to spray it over their rear end and work it in with your hands. The buns don't like this and they end up wet and have to clean themselves for a long time. I don't know of any particular risks from it but it's certainly stressful for them and so I wouldn't do it without a reason.

The sprays you can just buy over the counter are insecticide (permethrin usually) based and are deisgned to kill on contact, so they attempt to kill the larvae/maggots once they have hatched.
Cryomazine that is in Rearguard stops larval development and therefore prevents the eggs developing into larvae/maggots in the first place.

Ok - so am I right in thinking that both will kill the maggots/larvae associated with flystrike, but if Flyguard is used there is a chance that the maggots could start eating flesh (sorry to sound so graphic!) before they are killed? Whereas with Rearguard they will be killed before they get that chance?

None of my bunnies are at risk of anything as they are all healthy but it's good to know for the future :thumb: I like to learn :oops: :D

Beaphar Fly Guard can be used to help protect -at risk- rabbits from flystrike, you can buy it without prescription. Rearguard is used on rabbits that have fly strike and may sometimes be used as a prevention, it's prescription only. If you think your rabbits are at risk speak to your vet and discuss the options. Beaphar Fly Guard is not a simple 'spot on' type treatment, you have to spray it over their rear end and work it in with your hands. The buns don't like this and they end up wet and have to clean themselves for a long time. I don't know of any particular risks from it but it's certainly stressful for them and so I wouldn't do it without a reason.

That's not true, it's used as a preventative and not to treat a rabbit with flystrike.

Ok - so am I right in thinking that both will kill the maggots/larvae associated with flystrike, but if Flyguard is used there is a chance that the maggots could start eating flesh (sorry to sound so graphic!) before they are killed? Whereas with Rearguard they will be killed before they get that chance?

None of my bunnies are at risk of anything as they are all healthy but it's good to know for the future :thumb: I like to learn :oops: :D

Yes and no. Rearguard will not kill live maggots, but it doesn't need to because the maggots can't develop in the first place if the rabbit has been treated with Rearguard. But yes, with flyguard, the maggots are there and can do what they do until they are killed.

Rearguard works on a similar premise to preventative flea treatments like frontline that stop the eggs becoming fleas.

Yes and no. Rearguard will not kill live maggots, but it doesn't need to because the maggots can't develop in the first place if the rabbit has been treated with Rearguard. But yes, with flyguard, the maggots are there and can do what they do until they are killed.

Rearguard works on a similar premise to preventative flea treatments like frontline that stop the eggs becoming fleas.

Ok - so Rearguard is a true preventative treatment, whereas Flyguard is sort of more, damage limitation?

Thanks for your help btw :D

Ok - so Rearguard is a true preventative treatment, whereas Flyguard is sort of more, damage limitation?

Thanks for your help btw :D

Yes.
I bought some flyguard type stuff last year, but didn't really like the idea of putting permethrin/ivermectin based stuff on the buns. I also forked out the £60 for rearguard at the vets (I got really panicked about flystrike even though our vet did not think they were at significant risk) but then also opted not to do that either when I calmed down. We keep the hutch clean and check bums everyday (the rabbits that is) and neither rabbit is overweight, mobility impaired or prone to a runny bum. I personally think that's better for the buns than soaking them in medication.

help

My bunny has been seen by vets twice in 2 days really runny poos bad bum they finally shave his furr off yesterday but when washing him today I pulled off a large rice like piece of something that seemed to be stuck to his genitals I rushed him to vets worried for him and they gave him a closer shave and give him a good wash saying he was clear and nothing present but I'm now really worried for him. He had no grass so we have moved him to my parents house hoping the garden will help his diet improve and reduce the runny poos . But I'm no longer able to keep checking his bum as he's at my mums and she isn't comfortable doing it. Could it be worth getting this rear guard.

My bunny has been seen by vets twice in 2 days really runny poos bad bum they finally shave his furr off yesterday but when washing him today I pulled off a large rice like piece of something that seemed to be stuck to his genitals I rushed him to vets worried for him and they gave him a closer shave and give him a good wash saying he was clear and nothing present but I'm now really worried for him. He had no grass so we have moved him to my parents house hoping the garden will help his diet improve and reduce the runny poos . But I'm no longer able to keep checking his bum as he's at my mums and she isn't comfortable doing it. Could it be worth getting this rear guard.

IMO no chemical treatment is ever a replacement for daily bum checks. So I am afraid my suggestion would be to have your Rabbit in a situation where checks can be made. As he has a gut problem at the moment he will need checking at least 3 times a day. His environment will need cleaning as soon as it is soiled really. So litter trays changed 3-4 times a day. Fly netting can be used over hutches and runs to try to prevent access of flies to the immediate environment.

Personally I have never used Rearguard and I have had several Rabbits with health issues making it more difficult for them to clean themselves.

What investigations has the Vet done re your Rabbit's gut problems ?

Has any treatment been given ?

Back