• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Not a rabbit, but...

MimzMum

Wise Old Thumper
While walking my dog this afternoon, I think I may have overheard a horse being put down in my neighborhood. :cry:
There were two sounds ... one was what was either distressed neighing or whinnying, the other was a muffled bang. It was horrible. :(
WHY in such an advanced society are horses still being shot to be euthanized? Can't this be achieved by ... I don't know ... some other means?
It just seems so brutal. I know it's the quickest and supposedly most humane...but it's disturbing in the extreme. I feel the same about how moose that survive being hit by cars are also shot, but it must be done by a state trooper which could take time to arrive at the scene of an accident. Meanwhile the animal suffers. If you dispatch the moose yourself, you get fined or jail time. It's not something I would want to have to do, but I suppose I'd have to and then live with the horror.

Anyway...just wanted to post to say, run free unknown horse. I pray you are feeling no pain any longer and the green fields of Paradise surround you. :cry: Beautiful creature, someone remembers you with sadness tonight.

Having seen a horse shot and another given a lethal injection I'm afraid I would choose the gun any time. The horse can have its head in a bucket of feed and one minute then its over in a second. With the injection they can fight it to the last and it is distressing to watch. I do understand what you are saying but once you've taken the decision to pts, you want carried out calmly, efficiently and with the least distress.

I'm sure some part of me understands it. One has to accept some gruesome realities.
The dear thing is in a better place now...of that I am certain. But I will never get that horse's voice out of my head.

Thank you for helping me see things clearer, Ali. (((((((hugs))))))

WHY in such an advanced society are horses still being shot to be euthanized? Can't this be achieved by ... I don't know ... some other means?

Aliduncan is right, unfortunately. Lethal injection is not instantaneous in the same way for horses as shooting is. I've read somewhere that it can take as long as 10 minutes for a horse to die from an injection and that they suffer considerable distress during that time.

Back