• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How did this happen??

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
Biggest unsolved mystery of the 21st Century!!! -

Went out to the garden this morning to unlock bunnies, found Prudence who is nearly 7 years old with severe hind leg weakness loose in the garden. How the hell did that happen?? :?

She lives in a huge aviary which is on concrete, to get in to it you have to unlock two padlocks, 3 bolts, go through Onslows aviary and then open 3 more bolts to get into hers. Everything was locked as I left it. The aviary is made of quality weld mesh and is also enclosed by a 3ft picket fence with chicken wire attached to the back of it!

Pru has lived there for 6 years with no issues, her back legs are so weak she can fall over just going in and out of a normal litter tray. Steve has spent half an hour in the aviary trying to work it out but we haven't a clue. She is muddy and tired but besides that is fine, which is the main thing but it would be impossible for her to escape...............................!!:shock::shock:

Wow! This is surely a feature worthy of the next issue of Bunny Sagas! ;) Rainbow Rabbits need an Inspector trained up by Jane's Morse to solve such a mystery.

:shock:

Any way she could have followed you out of both aviaries when you were locking up?

I know I count my chinchillas whenever I've opened their cage to make sure they're all in...

:shock:

Any way she could have followed you out of both aviaries when you were locking up?

I know I count my chinchillas whenever I've opened their cage to make sure they're all in...

No because there is a stable door into hers and I only open the bottom when I do a big clean out, other times I jump it or use a long handled dust pan over it. At night when I lock up I don't even open the top I give her metacam and a treat through the mesh from Onslow's side and she was securely in there when i left them last night!:shock:

Plus Onslow would have attacked her the moment she entered his side, he is a territorial bunny!

Prudence must be related to Apple.

She escaped from her pen again overnight. The lid is on, there are no gaps between the lino and the pen and there are no holes in the pen or dog crate. I have absolutely no idea how on earth she got out.

Our bunnies must be truly magical:love:

No because there is a stable door into hers and I only open the bottom when I do a big clean out, other times I jump it or use a long handled dust pan over it. At night when I lock up I don't even open the top I give her metacam and a treat through the mesh from Onslow's side and she was securely in there when i left them last night!:shock:

Plus Onslow would have attacked her the moment she entered his side, he is a territorial bunny!

Ah, she must have phased out. This is a lesser known trait of rabbits. They can turn their body into (the best way to describe it is) a gas. And they can slip through bars and closed doors. I discovered Smoo can do this and she uses it to get to noms. When I am feeding Grim I have him separate from her, but sometimes she turn up magically in the place where Grim is. She has got through the back door when it's been closed and into the hutch when I've locked Grim in to eat.

Weird... but i have an idea

A while ago, i had a funny rabbit called Oscar. One night he was scared by a cat and jumped right out of his run which must have been 2 or 3ft tall. The cat chased him down the garden and we found him later that night down at the end of the garden (with what we later found out was a broken leg). We took him to the vets and they put it in a plaster...

I suggest that your rabbit might have got scared and found a way out somehow. I hope she gets better soon and that this was some helpful advice.

Have to say that was my thoughts too !! :lol:

Glad all was OK :D

Seriously there is just no way I could have left her out. Its hard to explain, but to go into the aviary you open a stable door into Onslows run. To get to prudence you then have to close that door to open the top part of prudence's run as that opens outwards also into onslows run. It is therefore impossible to have both open at the same time. The last time pru's would have been open would have been at feeding late afternoon and to then get out of the aviary I would have to of shut the door to open the main door out or I would still have been in there!

In the evening I go into onslows run sort meds in there and then give prudence hers through the mesh, no need to open door. I then go out and lock the main door to Onslow's with 3 bolts and 2 padlocks. I couldn't have done this if Prudence's door was open, and if some how she had got out into Onslows bit I would have noticed as it takes me a while to lock it and there is no where for her to hide in there.

Everything was locked and shut as normal this morning :?

I don't know if this makes any sense without seeing it! But in all honesty I could probably accept that one of the others may have somehow got out, but bru and pru's aviary is the hardest set up to get in and out of. It really is strange :lol:

That sounds like a real head scratcher. Does anyone else have a key to the padlocks besides you and Steve? Could someone be playing a joke on you?

Back