• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dora is not a well bunny/She has gone p130/ PM results p137

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
The vets aren't sure what is going on with her :(

She was seen last week as she has developed breathing problems. She is breathing rapidly at rest with her head help higher than it should be and nostrils flaring. Vets could here nothing wrong with her lungs, no wheezing, crackling etc nothing to indicate a problem but gave antibiotics and to return this week for another check.

There has been absolutely no improvement and Juliet is becoming very concerned. Dora's breathing is fast but her heart is slow :( We couldn't explore any further this afternoon because of Easter so she is booked in first thing Tuesday for full diagnostics - chest x-rays, bloods etc whatever is needed.

Dora is eating well and doesn't appear overly distressed. She doesn't do a great deal but she is 9 years old. She came through her neuter about a month ago with flying colours so none of us have a clue what is happening now. I have been waiting for her to recover from her spay so we could bond her and now this :(

If anyone knows what would cause fast breathing and a slow heart I would be grateful for any ideas, thanks. It is going to be a worrying time between now and Tuesday :cry:

Last edited:
What abx has she been on? Boris had a similar problem (although his heart rate was normal) which was never properly diagnosed but most likely due to a respiratory infection (pasteurella), he had Septrin for a month and has been doing great since. The heart problem sounds worrying however :( Sorry I can't be of any help, but I'm sure someone else will have some proper advice for you. Sending vibes for Dora xxx

Do rabbits get cushing's syndrome? That would give a low heart rate and increased resps. I know dogs can get it, not sure about buns. Worth an ask.

Thank you for that :) Thankfully Dora is not that bad at the moment, she isn't mouth breathing and her head is not as raised just slightly higher than it should be at rest. But the flared nostrils and rocking is the same:(

Oidhche, the black rex MissFloppyEars posted, was my baby. I don't know how much you see Dora (ie indoors or outdoors) but is it possible that she could be mouth breathing without you knowing? The first symptom we noticed in Oidhche was mouth breathing but she did it intermittently with long gaps (I watched her for 32 hours and caught her at it once!) to begin with. Typically she never did it at the vet. :roll: She also had periods of 'normal' breathing, i.e. through the nose, but still laboured.

As she was still eating and lazing about as normal it was the first sign something was wrong. But then by the time they are mouth breathing there is already fluid on the lungs and damage being done, so hopefully you have caught it early enough for that not to be a problem, if it does turn out to be her heart.

To begin with our vet could hear no problems with her heart - the diagnosis was made when she responded to specific heart medication. Normally diagnosis would be done through x-ray but she had GI stasis at the time so we couldn't give her a GA, and there is no chance you would have got her to sit still enough for a conscious one. :lol:

This is Oidhche's original thread if you'd like a read, it's a longun but goes from initial problems to diagnosis to treatment.

Oidhche, the black rex MissFloppyEars posted, was my baby. I don't know how much you see Dora (ie indoors or outdoors) but is it possible that she could be mouth breathing without you knowing? The first symptom we noticed in Oidhche was mouth breathing but she did it intermittently with long gaps (I watched her for 32 hours and caught her at it once!) to begin with. Typically she never did it at the vet. :roll: She also had periods of 'normal' breathing, i.e. through the nose, but still laboured.

As she was still eating and lazing about as normal it was the first sign something was wrong. But then by the time they are mouth breathing there is already fluid on the lungs and damage being done, so hopefully you have caught it early enough for that not to be a problem, if it does turn out to be her heart.

To begin with our vet could hear no problems with her heart - the diagnosis was made when she responded to specific heart medication. Normally diagnosis would be done through x-ray but she had GI stasis at the time so we couldn't give her a GA, and there is no chance you would have got her to sit still enough for a conscious one. :lol:

This is Oidhche's original thread if you'd like a read, it's a longun but goes from initial problems to diagnosis to treatment.

Thank you I will have a good read when I have extra time to sit here. Luckily Dora is a housebunny living in the dining room so I can watch her almost constantly. I can see her as I type now and she is munching on a huge mouthful of hay :D I am hoping the x-ray will give us a good indication of whats happening so we can make her more comfortable.

Thank you so much for your reply x

Has she had blood work? Maybe she could she be anemic for some reason? I know that makes animals have labored breathing.

Has she had blood work? Maybe she could she be anemic for some reason? I know that makes animals have labored breathing.

She is having that done Tuesday. There was no point getting them done thursday as the labs would be shut over easter :wave:

Oh No Liz, what an awful Easter you are having. Hope the vet can find out what's wrong with her on Tuesday. Sending lots of vibes x x

Oh No Liz, what an awful Easter you are having. Hope the vet can find out what's wrong with her on Tuesday. Sending lots of vibes x x

She is currently munching on fenugreek crunchies so must feel ok in herself, just wish tomorrow wasn't another bank holiday :(

I the last hour Dora has started mouth breathing :(

I'm really sorry Liz.

I wonder if you have any chamomile in the house? We fed Oidhche cooled chamomile tea and it did help her, not perhaps the breathing directly but lessened the sense of panic they get when they can't breathe. Cool air also seemed to help, I opened windows in the house and sat in the doorway with her in the later stages.

If it's any comfort, Oidhche was a happy, cheeky, monster bunny right up until the week before she died. We had an extra five months from diagnosis to PTS, and she kept trucking right until the end. The meds make a big difference too. If you like I can PM you my vet's name and number if your vet would like to contact him, he was in contact with the Royal D!ck vet about it too. This is assuming it does turn out to be her heart, as that's all I know about really.

Big cuddles to Dora. xx

I'm really sorry Liz.

I wonder if you have any chamomile in the house? We fed Oidhche cooled chamomile tea and it did help her, not perhaps the breathing directly but lessened the sense of panic they get when they can't breathe. Cool air also seemed to help, I opened windows in the house and sat in the doorway with her in the later stages.

If it's any comfort, Oidhche was a happy, cheeky, monster bunny right up until the week before she died. We had an extra five months from diagnosis to PTS, and she kept trucking right until the end. The meds make a big difference too. If you like I can PM you my vet's name and number if your vet would like to contact him, he was in contact with the Royal D!ck vet about it too. This is assuming it does turn out to be her heart, as that's all I know about really.

Big cuddles to Dora. xx

thank you, its not something we have but at least shops are open tomorrow. TBH it doesn't seem to bother her, she flops out and just holds her head up!

Once we know more on Tuesday I will contact you if needs be for the vet, thank you so much xx

thank you, its not something we have but at least shops are open tomorrow. TBH it doesn't seem to bother her, she flops out and just holds her head up!

Once we know more on Tuesday I will contact you if needs be for the vet, thank you so much xx

This is what madam was like to begin with too, still jumping up on things and flopping in ridiculous places. They're blooming strange creatures! :lol: I'm glad it isn't bothering her, I hope she stays well and Tuesday goes okay.

That's fine, just give me a shout if needs be :wave:

This is what madam was like to begin with too, still jumping up on things and flopping in ridiculous places. They're blooming strange creatures! :lol: I'm glad it isn't bothering her, I hope she stays well and Tuesday goes okay.

That's fine, just give me a shout if needs be :wave:

You are very kind x

Back