• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

clicking on chest - Barney

Isabel

Warren Veteran
Just taken Barney to the vets as he seemed to be sort of panting, gurgling tummy and grinding teeth.
He is eating and pooping fine. Infact he has lovely large golden poohs (very proud bunny mummy). The vet could not find anything wrong with his gut and as he is eating and pooing fine wasn't too concerned, especially as he had been on grass yesterday. He did hear a slight clicking on his chest though. I have anti biotics for it. Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

Thanks
Isabel

It sounds like hes in pain to me, with tummy problems of some sort.
Is it a soft tummy?? Has he produced anymore poops and weeings?? Eaten?? Drank???

My vet always talks about 'crackling' on the chest when saying there are indications of infection and give your vet has prescribed antibios for him. So I guess that would be some sort of respiratory tract infection.

Has barney been on the grass much recently? Sometimes they can get a very gassy tummy if they suddenly eat a lot of grass early on in the season, so if he was out on the grass all day yesterday, is that a possibility?

I agree with Yvette, it sounds to me as if he is in pain (grinding teeth is a classic sign of this), Is barney still eating now? If so, i would suggest ringing your vet and asking them to dispense you some pain relief; if he isn't eating I would suggest taking him back, as a bunny which stops eating (which they often do if they're in pain) it can get very serious very quickly.

Hope your little man is ok x x

Yes he's still eating. He was on the grass at the weekend which the vet asked about too. He's not grinding his teeth now either.

Sounds like an RTI then. He's got 10 days of antibiotics. Will keep a close eye on him.

I don't know. The vet heard it through the stethascope. Thanks for posting that though. I'll keep and eye on him and have 10 days of antibiotics. so will keep in touch with the vets if things don't improve.

Thanks everyone.

Back