• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

spay questions...

Jackaroonie

Mama Doe
I will be getting Lily Bun spayed during the easter break as I will be off for 2 Weeks can keep a close eye on her
:)

Question 1- Will her bonded partner Flopsy have to go to the vets with her?

Question 2- Shall I keep them in overnight or for a few days? -........ they normally live in the shed

Question 3- when can she go outside again?....... they have cat flaps on the shed and can go in and out during the day into large runs.

Many thanks in advance :)

I don't have a girl rabbit, but from what I've read on here it is generally recommended that a bonded attend the vet together. Otherwise the rabbit who has been at the vet will smell different and the bond might run into trouble.

I'm not sure about the staying indoors time, but given that they live in a shed rather than just a hutch I would - assuming Lily recovers well - be inclined to have them back to normal fairly quickly.

I think there is a section on neutering in 'Rabbit Care Reference Section.' If you haven't already looked at it you might get some useful tips there. :wave:

Don't think it would be good for her to be going in and out of the cat flap in case she catches her wound :) I think Lily and Flopsy have a 2 tier hutch in their part of the shed don't they? So I think that would have to be closed off up the ramp too. And nothing to jump on or in that she could hurt herself :D you probably already know this from Bella but thought I'd mention it :D

And good look Lily! :love:

Don't think it would be good for her to be going in and out of the cat flap in case she catches her wound :) I think Lily and Flopsy have a 2 tier hutch in their part of the shed don't they? So I think that would have to be closed off up the ramp too. And nothing to jump on or in that she could hurt herself :D you probably already know this from Bella but thought I'd mention it :D

And good look Lily! :love:

I will wedge the flap open and lay a towel over the plastic and I will block the upstairs level off, they'll still have the bottom level and the shed floor level :)

Hi when I had my Violet Spayed I had to take both bunnys to the vets then when she came home the vet told me to keep her inside an keep her warm till her wound healed I kept them both indoors about 5 days till her tummy was better

yes i think this would be best. thats what i did with honey and its supposed to help them recover quicker

Question 2- Shall I keep them in overnight or for a few days? -........ they normally live in the shed
i would and did as she might not be able to regulate temp properly at first-also you can keep an eye on her pooing and eating

Question 3- when can she go outside again?....... they have cat flaps on the shed and can go in and out during the day into large runs.
not entirely sure but i was told to make sure she cant jump on things or have any toys that could make her exhurt herself for 1-2 weeks. someone else will probably know more

all the best!:wave:
oh and make sure she gets pain relief and have loads of temting foods:D

I will be getting Lily Bun spayed during the easter break as I will be off for 2 Weeks can keep a close eye on her
:)

Many thanks in advance :)

when my girls were spayed - they both went in ..obviously:lol:...but if one had been a male - Id have sent him along too...just so they smelt the same. Id also send along with them each one of their own blankets with their own "home smells" on them.

Also some of their own nuggets (my vet used a different one from one I used...so I wanted them to have the same one) and some of their favourite noms...I packed a lunch box each with apple leaves, twigs, rose petals and other dried foraged foods I had...I picked fresh herbs and rosemary in the morning. It helps to get them eating again after their ops.

Id keep them in for a few nights to keep an eye on them....and obviously dont keep the heating on etc if the not used to it...

Make sure she is unable to jump onto anything...and that the floor surface is clean so no hay can get in her stitches/wound etc...you dont want any infections. You dont want them to strech their tums too much until it heals nicely.

After ops their body temperature drops- so make sure she has a warm snuggle safe with a soft fleece to snuggle into if she wants...but also enough space to sit in another area.

I used puppy pads to absorb their wee and to keep the floor of the cage clean....
I also put hay into toilet rolls and wedged it into the cage bars...kept the hay off the floor and their wounds clean.

I also made sure they had a water bottle as well as a bowl - sickly buns will find a bowl much easier to drink from as they dont have to stretch up.

They will usually use dissolveable stitches... and glue the skin on the outside...when the buns flop on their sides..you can check their wound is not too pink...if it gets pinker or red...then it needs to be checked for infection.

You will prob. find your Flopsy will feel very caged so he will need time out to run about and go mad...but Lily-Bun needs ot rest a few days before she excerts herself even if she wants to.

By day 5 mine actually leapt out their cage...so that was that- I knew they were ready and their wounds were totally healed.:lol:

Obviously she will get pain killer to receive...I mashed this into a small piece of banana and they wolfed if down.
She shoudnt be kept in the vets overnight unless she hasnt eaten, wee'd or pooped...or they want to keep an eye on her wound...mine were kept in as one of them may have had a problem...but it was a precaution and both were fine.

Once you let them into their usual area...its important the wound is very healed and there is no chance of infection...especially as the fur will have bee shaved and the tummy bare.
Ensure she has her snuggle safe as she will feel the cold more without that tummy fur.

They usually go back for a post-op checkup...so by then it should be fine for her to go outside again...

lotsa vibes for them both to be brave and Lily-bun xxx

when my girls were spayed - they both went in ..obviously:lol:...but if one had been a male - Id have sent him along too...just so they smelt the same. Id also send along with them each one of their own blankets with their own "home smells" on them.

Also some of their own nuggets (my vet used a different one from one I used...so I wanted them to have the same one) and some of their favourite noms...I packed a lunch box each with apple leaves, twigs, rose petals and other dried foraged foods I had...I picked fresh herbs and rosemary in the morning. It helps to get them eating again after their ops.

Id keep them in for a few nights to keep an eye on them....and obviously dont keep the heating on etc if the not used to it...

Make sure she is unable to jump onto anything...and that the floor surface is clean so no hay can get in her stitches/wound etc...you dont want any infections. You dont want them to strech their tums too much until it heals nicely.

After ops their body temperature drops- so make sure she has a warm snuggle safe with a soft fleece to snuggle into if she wants...but also enough space to sit in another area.

I used puppy pads to absorb their wee and to keep the floor of the cage clean....
I also put hay into toilet rolls and wedged it into the cage bars...kept the hay off the floor and their wounds clean.

I also made sure they had a water bottle as well as a bowl - sickly buns will find a bowl much easier to drink from as they dont have to stretch up.

They will usually use dissolveable stitches... and glue the skin on the outside...when the buns flop on their sides..you can check their wound is not too pink...if it gets pinker or red...then it needs to be checked for infection.

You will prob. find your Flopsy will feel very caged so he will need time out to run about and go mad...but Lily-Bun needs ot rest a few days before she excerts herself even if she wants to.

By day 5 mine actually leapt out their cage...so that was that- I knew they were ready and their wounds were totally healed.:lol:

Obviously she will get pain killer to receive...I mashed this into a small piece of banana and they wolfed if down.
She shoudnt be kept in the vets overnight unless she hasnt eaten, wee'd or pooped...or they want to keep an eye on her wound...mine were kept in as one of them may have had a problem...but it was a precaution and both were fine.

Once you let them into their usual area...its important the wound is very healed and there is no chance of infection...especially as the fur will have bee shaved and the tummy bare.
Ensure she has her snuggle safe as she will feel the cold more without that tummy fur.

They usually go back for a post-op checkup...so by then it should be fine for her to go outside again...

lotsa vibes for them both to be brave and Lily-bun xxx

Thank you so much :) Lily does not have a snuggles safe?? will she be ok without one?

Thank you so much :) Lily does not have a snuggles safe?? will she be ok without one?

thats ok...thought it was a tad long:oops::lol:

She should be fine...but if the base of the cage is plastic on wooden flooring...it will be cool. As she has been an outdoor bunny - she might feel abit warmer....its just that with ops and the meds their body temp drops..so make sure you have lined the base with cardboard and newspaper for some insualtion and layer some fleece blankets for her ...if they dont eat it.;)

You could also place the fleece or towel in the tumble dryer and then lay it down so its warm already. Keep the central heating off though as that would prob make their are too warm;)

lotsa vibes coming your way:love:

thats ok...thought it was a tad long:oops::lol:

She should be fine...but if the base of the cage is plastic on wooden flooring...it will be cool. As she has been an outdoor bunny - she might feel abit warmer....its just that with ops and the meds their body temp drops..so make sure you have lined the base with cardboard and newspaper for some insualtion and layer some fleece blankets for her ...if they dont eat it.;)

You could also place the fleece or towel in the tumble dryer and then lay it down so its warm already. Keep the central heating off though as that would prob make their are too warm;)

lotsa vibes coming your way:love:

thank you, ahh im so worried just seen a thread about Bunnies died whilst under anesthetic, this is her first one :cry:

thank you, ahh im so worried just seen a thread about Bunnies died whilst under anesthetic, this is her first one :cry:

I know it can be a worry...but with an experience vet who has done bunny spays before...and her being healthy she will be fine Im sure.;) How old is she and whats her weight?

I know it can be a worry...but with an experience vet who has done bunny spays before...and her being healthy she will be fine Im sure.;) How old is she and whats her weight?

Yes our vets are really good they neutered flopsy 5 years ago and spayed bella in october :) She is healthy, she's 10 months old, when she was last weighed in december she was about 2.30 kg :)

Yes our vets are really good they neutered flopsy 5 years ago and spayed bella in october :) She is healthy, she's 10 months old, when she was last weighed in december she was about 2.30 kg :)

aaah she will be fine! She is a good weight too...mine were much smaller;) HUGE vibes and calm breathes for you!:love:

Lily went to the vets this morning along with flopsy, Im so happy they let him stay :)

they should be ringing at 2-3 pm to tell us how she is and when we can collect her.

Back