• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sandpaper??

Kavanne

Mama Doe
Was asking to my vet about manicures and she suggested I put some sandpaper out for my buns to dig on and keep their own nails in check. Anyone else do this and if so do you use small, medium or large grain??? Ha

Interesting. I think mine would be more likely to eat it to be honest. I made them a digging box - an old tesco delivery crate filled with compost. It makes for longer gaps between nail trimming and is apparently good fun!

Sierra, I live with my in laws and as tolerant and wonderful as my mother in law is, I think compost in the house is one step too far??

Can't really let buns in the garden yet as dog uses it to wee so I'll have to ask them about Cordening off an area for them and letting grass regrow there sans dog weewee!

Sierra, I live with my in laws and as tolerant and wonderful as my mother in law is, I think compost in the house is one step too far??

Can't really let buns in the garden yet as dog uses it to wee so I'll have to ask them about Cordening off an area for them and letting grass regrow there sans dog weewee!

Oh :lol: no, not so good for indoors. Mine are on grass but I meshed it to make it secure, so they can't dig there!

I once tried that for an elderly chipmunk who had very bent toes and excessively long nails. It's not easy doing a chipmunk's nails....

Anyway, she ripped up a whole sheet of budgie cage sandpaper and used it as bedding which I then had to take out.

Sounds good in theory, but not so easy to put into practice. Concrete or stone slabs in outside runs keep bunny nails nice and short, but again, not so practical inside.

I know it's bad for a lot of animals because it can cause bumblefoot. birds have gotten hurt feet or bumblefoot from sandpaper perches. If you have a concrete porch you could let your rabbit run around on it every so often. I know people that have their rabbit run on concrete barely ever have to clip their nails.

For hamsters I put a stone in front of their water bowl, so they'd step on the stone to take a drink, and I never had to clip any hamster nails. Maybe something similar would work for rabbits. A brick in front of the hay rack or something?

Idk about concrete. My buns pretty much have a room to their selves in the basement. They hardly run around nor does it seem to wear their nails down. Have to trim them about every month.

And the only thing they dig is their cardboard houses.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Idk about concrete. My buns pretty much have a room to their selves in the basement. They hardly run around nor does it seem to wear their nails down. Have to trim them about every month.
Our are on rough outdoor (weathered rough, not smooth yet) concrete and they're nails are usually fine: we do make sure they run around though, because we make them work for their food ;P

I've used the sandpaper trick for hamsters, ferrets (didn't work well with them) and guinea pigs.

It works with the hamsters who also have stones around their cage to climb over.
It seemed to work well with my guinea pigs in the past too.

I used the fine paper and put it in places that would mean they'll routinely walk across it (on ramps etc). Just keeping a close eye on feet. I used drawing pins or staples to secure it to the ramps to prevent them picked it up etc.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I just picked up some sandpaper but not sure how to beat secure it. I don’t want to use staples or glue in case she chews it any suggestions? She’s really fussy about letting me cut her nails she’s an indoor bunny and anything I can do to keep them shorter without stressing her out I’m willing to try it.

I just picked up some sandpaper but not sure how to beat secure it. I don’t want to use staples or glue in case she chews it any suggestions? She’s really fussy about letting me cut her nails she’s an indoor bunny and anything I can do to keep them shorter without stressing her out I’m willing to try it.

Personally I wouldn’t recommend sandpaper for rabbits, it could cause sore hocks. If you take your rabbit into an unfamiliar room it will probably be easier to trim her nails.

Back