• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

For the 5 Horses that died at Cheltenham Festival 2012

Tuckerbunnies

Wise Old Thumper
ScotsIrish
Garde Champetre
Educated Evans
Featherbed lane
Abergavenny

Somewhere...Somewhere in time's Own Space
There must be some sweet pastured place
Where creeks sing on and tall trees grow
Some Paradise where horses go,
For by the love that guides my pen
I know great horses live again.
~Stanley Harrison

Gallop forever free Beautiful horses xxxxxxxxxx .

I dont know if any were lost today.

Such a pointless sport and no better than it fighting dogs.

Gallop free horses, where you can run like the wind with noone on your back, noone whipping you or telling you where/when and how to run, graze all day on juicy grass and play. Xxx

I dont know if any were lost today.
Happily, no, there weren't - I just checked. It's the final day of this particular meeting tomorrow.

However, we're only hearing about these deaths because they're happening at a high profile sporting event. There are horses who are injured or who die in racing every day - most days there are at least 3 race meetings and there are "in training" injuries which may result in a horse being euthanased, not least because it is insured and insurance companies may prefer to pay the "dead" money rather than absorb the cost of lengthy and expensive rehabilitation of a horse that will be worthless (in racing and monetary terms) when it has recovered. And of course, if a leg is badly damaged, it's unlikely the horse will recover sufficiently to lead a quality life.

It's a complex subject though because racing and its peripheral enterprises is worth between £3 and £4 billion to the British economy, it employs about 100,000 people and race betting alone contributes about £325 million to the exchequer in taxes.

There's little political will to change much about racing so I think the only way to influence things is to focus on and promote the welfare of horses.

I remember when the grand national was on telly. I couldn't watch while they were jumping. 2 horses died and the owner didn't seem the least bit concerned about it all...Looked like he had more money then heart...

I hate when people push horses to their breaking point :cry: run free now :cry:

Back