• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Weak back legs, falling sometimes

I missed this thread back in March but it would seem now this is another EC success story. I know people here often say that EC is misdiagnosed and I agree, sometimes it is an infection. However I also think that sometimes EC is ruled out too quickly, it presents with a wide range of symptoms.

Good luck with your bun, glad she is making such improvements :wave:

:wave:Hi, lovely to hear your bun is doing well with your good nursing care.
How old is she? (have something ticking over in my mind re her spine)

Thanks all :)
I think I'm lucky I have a great vet too :)
she's a rescue bun but estimated age is about 6 - why what were you thinking?

Having just gone through dealing with my buns arthritic spine I was wondering if the spondylosis was having an impact as well.
My girl is a Flemish Giant of 6+years & has responded well to anti inflammatory tx.
Maybe its something you could consider if you reach a bit of a stagnant period in her recuperation?
Though I'm sure the acupuncture & physio are helping heaps with this anyway.

Thanks KB, she's on Metacam for the spondylosis. They also tried a steroid injection but this didn't change anything at the time which led them to believe it wasn't a pain issue but more like a loss of feeling in her legs, which has slowly come back. It can be caused by the spine pinching on nerves but her other symptoms and the way it all happened points more to EC (and us discovering the spondylosis while checking for something else). What is 'anti inflammatory tx'? is it just any medicine which is anti-inflam eg metacam? x

Oops sorry that base is already covered, I should have read one of your earlier posts more fully. :oops:

Just thought I'd do another update in case anyone has the same problem in the future and is looking for an outcome...
Lily is back to normal!! Her hopping is back to how she was before the suspected EC, I even have to chase her in the garden now to catch her!
And she's able to reach underneath and eat her cecotrophes again :thumb: - perhaps something only a bunny mummy can get excited about :lol: but it's made me so happy. She's ever so clean again - before I kept having to clean poo off her and feed it to her.
Fingers crossed and touch wood that she remains like this, she's all confident again and I'm so pleased for her :love:

So glad your bunny has improved:D
Glad you updated the thread, it can be disappointing when you go to a thread for reference but there is no end or conclusion to it. ( though I am guilty of doing that:oops:)

Can you advise me as to what steps you took with Lily.... Our JD has similar problems at the moment and was prescribed Meloxidyl ( for dogs) arghhhhhh. He seems slightly better ... But back at the vets again tomorrow and could do with as much information as possible, thank you

Back