Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 211

Thread: Dogs & Rabbits - can they live together?

  1. #41
    Wise Old Thumper Grin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    South Wales
    Posts
    18,610

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GrahamL View Post
    There are two schools of thought that are always going to happen on threads like this, the same as they do on every "Cat & Rabbit" or "Dog & Rabbit".

    The 'Can' and 'Should'.

    Just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you SHOULD.

    Just because you CAN have dogs and cats living with rabbits in tandem, doesn't mean you SHOULD.

    Just because 1 user CAN and it works, doesn't mean every member CAN and SHOULD.
    So basically what works for one might not work for another - up to the individual then and what suits. Common sense really.

  2. #42
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    With my Bunny Crew
    Posts
    30,053

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by littleboots View Post
    I think its up to every individual to make their own choices and not be preached to about the choices they make.
    Lots of people including myself have multiple pet households and as long as no risks are taken then thats fine.
    I don't think anyone has preached, I think people have just answered the OPs question.

    Essentially, the only responsible way to make a choice when it comes to something like this is to make an informed choice, so the OP has see 'for' and 'against' and gotten advice and words of caution and dos and don'ts and stuff, so will be informed. Whatever choice she makes will be her own


    Please Remember to Advocate for your Rabbit.

    'I have the responsibility to do what I want in a world of others, but so does everyone else and it works best if we take each other into account.' (EVD)

    Please feel free to visit my therapy website and also my Professional Facebook page and Blog. You might find something interesting there!

  3. #43
    Mama Doe littleboots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    yorkshire
    Posts
    4,363

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grin View Post
    So basically what works for one might not work for another - up to the individual then and what suits. Common sense really.

  4. #44
    Wise Old Thumper GrahamL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    In an office with bunnies :D
    Posts
    24,205

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grin View Post
    So basically what works for one might not work for another - up to the individual then and what suits. Common sense really.
    Entirely this, 100%.

    Weigh up the risks, get the pros and cons to the situation, and act upon that information.

    I certainly wouldn't feel able to do it, with the information i've been provided with but thats my choice.

  5. #45
    Warren Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    South West
    Posts
    9,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    Then you simply don't let the two interact. It's not rocket science. You're over-thinking it.

    Deciding to let them interact is totally up to the owner because only they know their dogs. Personally I don't let mine interact, I just don't have any need to, but I wouldn't worry about my maltese hurting my rabbits if I did. They never react aggressively to other animals, even though one of my cats thinks it's funny to attack the maltese (he jumps them and holds them down on the ground, usually while biting them). But they still love the cat and never bite him back. Actually my mom will look down sometimes while walking them in the yard and realize the cat is on top of them again, they don't even yelp

    I doubt Riley or Puppy would ever hurt them either, its just not in their nature to. They've both interacted with the buns a bit, years ago, mostly. Years ago I would take Izzy, one of my old rabbits, riding in the car (he was one of the few rabbits that liked car rides) with the maltese and Riley and they would all sleep together. Teddy is the only exception, he's a bit unpredictable. I don't know how he'd act, he's never been around anything smaller than a cat. Obviously I'd never let him interact with them.
    There are people on these very forums who have had rabbits die because they accidentally left a door slightly ajar.

    If you don't have a dog already there is no point in taking the risk. You don't need a dog, it's just what you want. It's not what the rabbits want, it's not in their interests.

    But I guess that's the sort of society we live in now, people just do what they want, whenever they want. You can't convince anyone that what they are doing is a bad idea until they see the dead rabbits for themselves.
    Tim

  6. #46
    Mama Doe littleboots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    yorkshire
    Posts
    4,363

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stator View Post
    There are people on these very forums who have had rabbits die because they accidentally left a door slightly ajar.

    If you don't have a dog already there is no point in taking the risk. You don't need a dog, it's just what you want. It's not what the rabbits want, it's not in their interests.

    But I guess that's the sort of society we live in now, people just do what they want, whenever they want. You can't convince anyone that what they are doing is a bad idea until they see the dead rabbits for themselves.
    While I agree with you that you can NEVER be too careful, I feel you are insinuating if you have rabbits you are irresponsible if you have a dog!
    This I can not agree with.
    Accidents do happen in all walks of life.... Its up to us as the carers for these animals to make sure they DONT happen. That is not to say we can not have dogs/cats/rabbits/birds etc etc....
    My first pet is and always has been a dog.... that did not mean I couldnt get a cat..... and that did not mean I wouldnt give homes to rescue rabbits that otherwise would have ended up goodness knows where.
    All my pets are loved, and above all happy.... and certainly not at risk.

  7. #47
    Warren Scout
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North West England
    Posts
    331

    Default

    See these 2 below... I was paranoid for months & would not take the chance of them meeting. Ozzie has a pen in the living room & Dylan came to accept him being on the floor on the other side of bars.

    I must stress here that Dylan is an extremely gentle dog, unusually submissive. I have had him for 12 years & have seen him find a tiny baby bird that had fallen from it's nest. He came over & got my attention, took me to the bird & just wagged his tail. He is scared of cats However I still wouldn't let him & Ozzie be out together for at least 2 months. It took a lot of patience, as i needed them to be ok in case Ozzie ever escaped. Dylan was initially jealous of the bunny. Quite natural- so whenever he went over to the pen & was calm. I would make a fuss or treat him. I never forced contact. When visitors came, they has strict instructions to greet Dylan first & ignore the cute new bunny for a bit. All my efforts did pay off, they are friends now but i don't leave them unsupervised & I wouldn't consider it if Dylan was a hunting breed. Hope this helps :-)
    Binky free, beautiful Ozzie xx

  8. #48
    Wise Old Thumper Maizey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    10,032

    Default

    My dogs interact with my bunnies with no problem,they are bought up to respect the rabbits.





    Please click on the video below to watch Tess with my Baby wildy.




  9. #49
    Mama Doe littleboots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    yorkshire
    Posts
    4,363

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maizey View Post
    My dogs interact with my bunnies with no problem,they are bought up to respect the rabbits.





    Please click on the video below to watch Tess with my Baby wildy.



    How lovely to See...
    Like you say.... all about how theyre brought up....

  10. #50
    Warren Scout
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North West England
    Posts
    331

    Default

    Those pictures are lovely!

    I was worried because Dylan hadn't been used to having another animal here. We didn't plan to get Ozzie, he just came along

    Ozzie seems to have NO fear at all! He wouldn't survive 2 mins in the wild. He jumps on Dylan without a care in the world. Dylan occasionally licks Ozzie's head, which usually causes an excited binkie. It's very cute but even now i wouldnt go out & leave them together just in case.

    It is very funny when I get up in the morning, I open Ozzie's pen & say "ok, all boys into the kitchen" & Dylan trots in there with bunny scampering along next to him!
    Binky free, beautiful Ozzie xx

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •