• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Doris from Halfpenny Farm Sanctuary

Thank you, Doris will indeed be sadly missed. She has lived here all her life, when we moved in the owner was going to have to sell her at the mart, along with her sister and 2 goats called Bill and Ben- the sheep were called Cagney and Lacey at that time. We said we would keep them and changed the names to Jill and Jen for the goats and Elsie and Doris for the sheep. They were massively fat and lived in the big 3.5 acre paddock which meant we spent a good few hours chasing them, until the were too tired to keep running. We were going to get them moved so we could clip, worm, do feet and move to a smaller paddock to lose weight. I still remember the effort of getting them moved into the stables with a lead rope and foal head collars. They soon got used to us and loved to get a back scratch, they also settled to being led on a halter. Over time they got some more sheep friends, but never forgot Jill and Jen and when they goats went out in the morning they went over to say hello to their 2 friends. We sadly lost Elsie at the end of last year, we suspect her heart gave out. Doris had a bout of pneumonia a month ago and lived in the house with Jack for a week until she was a bit stronger, we put her back out into a stable as it was a bit too hot for her inside. She recovered from the pneumonia but struggled to get on her feet sometimes, so we started her on danilon and kept her inside, helping her get up when needed, Mike was often up in the middle of the night to check on her. She was actually doing quite well and we saw a big improvement in her walking over the weekend, she was being given walks during the day to prevent her seizing up. Yesterday, I came home from work to find her collapsed and unable to stand, and called the vet out. She had developed pneumonia again but the vet was also concerned she had heart issues. She was given pain relief and antibiotics, but were told she was very poorly. I went in at 6pm to offer her some food which she ate with relish, which surprised me but when Mike went out to check her again at 7, she was gone. The lorry came to take her away today, which was very hard as she has spent her whole life here. I hope she died quickly and without pain, the vet is sure her heart gave out. She is the last of the 4 and the field seems very empty with out them now. We lost Jill and Jen a good few years ago, but their characters and spirit are what has made us so fond of sheep and goats.

I have tried to post some pictures but photobucket won't let me. Will try again later, she was a beautiful big sheep.

Back