• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Good experiences with the RSPCA in any capacity

Ive only ever had interaction with the ipswich branch, and the people are lovely and understanding and incredibly helpful. I really should have a better look round at some point. I have heard a lot of things about different branches, but like most things, Im not happy til Ive decided for myself, and Ive decided I like that branch. :D

Well that's always good to hear!

Well I always hear a lot of negative comments and I was going to do some investigation and take it to HQ but no one replied to my thread with any actual proof. I still have to follow up one incident for someone but that's it.

I also remembered years ago I reported a pet shop who had two chipmunks in a tiny cage going nuts. Two weeks later they were under new management and MUCH better. If I hadn't have had good experiences with the RSPCA I would not have joined them. :wave:

not sure if this is relevant - my only experience is with SSPCA in Scotland.

I adopted 2 of my present buns from the SSPCA in Inverness. They didn't homecheck us but they did ask us an awful lot of questions, including diet/accommodation/ holiday care etc. We also had to sign a form saying we would not breed from them as they were not spayed. They also insisted that as a bonded pair, they couldn't be separated. When they asked about vaccs, I said I would get them myxi'd first as we have wild buns near us. When they heard that, they actually did the vaccination there and then (centre is attached to vet surgery) which I thought was pretty good. I gave them an extra donation for that, but they didn't insist on it. They also gave us a voucher for each of them for 20% off a spay at their surgery. I got the impression that the lady was genuinely gutted to see them go but was glad they had a home.

They are the 2 on the left of my signature :love:

I adopted my two bunnies from RSPCA Brighton, and altho, at first, they weren't too keen on us adopting, because altho they live in a 6ft x 4 ft shed, with a further 3ft x 4ft shelf (they actually now have another 3ft x 4ft shelf too), we don't have a permanent attached run. After a lengthy discussion, and explaining that we planned on them having at least an hour every morning, and 3 hours in the evening of supervised free roam of half the garden, they agreeed to let us adopt. We did provide photos of our setup, which are now in their file for information on what you can do in what is a relatively small shed. I have to admit I was panicked abit when they were looking like turning us down, as I'd fallen in love with Rupert, and wanted him soooo bady it hurt :oops: in the end they said 'we love your setup' and so they bonded Rupert and Tia (a single girl they had) and we picked them up 3 weeks later, after not a single bond problem.

I visited the centre alot in the run up to getting Rupert and Tia, as for me, rescue was the way I wanted to get them, and only ever seen staff that loved and cared for all the animals.

The only criticism I would have, and its probably minor in comparison to anything else - is that i'd love to go dog walking on a sunday there, but you have to leave your keys in a pot - which, when I was there picking up Rupert and Tia, was left on the counter for people to get their keys back out of - I feel I cant and wont put my car and house keys in a pot where anyone can walk in and take them :shock: See, minor isn't it.

I am on another forum, and when the subject of rescue buns came up, I was both shocked and surprised that one response was 'i'd never get an animal from rspca' - I think I was quite naieve when wanting to adopt bunnies, as I thought RSPCA was the only place I could get them from, you hear alot about dog and cat charities, but never about rabbit charities and rescues and I think its a real shame and really sad.

I adopted my bridge bun Elliot from kayj. He was saved by a lovely RSPCA inspector from severe neglect. Had she not have found him, he wouldn't have lived to know what it was like to be loved and cared for properly. I'll always be so so thankful for her.

I have had bad experiences recently with the rspca and wouldnt go to bradford again but years ago we went to an open day at Bradford and saw these 2 big 4k+ bunnies, Biscuit had been there nearly 3 years and Alaska a good 2 years. Both were at least 3/4 years old. We fell hook line and sinker.

The rspca told us we could have them without paying an adoption fee, because they had been there so long, so we renovated a wooden wendy house, had a home check and they came to live with us.

Sadly Alaska our white rex I think found it all too much and he died in my arms 6 weeks later, Biscuit went on to have a new hubby Tommy and they had 6 very loved up years together.

We now have 2 new rescue buns but its thanks rspca Bradford that I have these gorgeous animals as they started the obsession for me.

I have had bad experiences recently with the rspca and wouldnt go to bradford again but years ago we went to an open day at Bradford and saw these 2 big 4k+ bunnies, Biscuit had been there nearly 3 years and Alaska a good 2 years. Both were at least 3/4 years old. We fell hook line and sinker.

This worries me - I'm just waiting for a homecheck from RSPCA Bradford! :shock:

Everyones experiences are different. Good luck with your home visit :)

Thanks. I'm not worried about it at all as I know my setup is good. Just want to get it done now so that Gretel isn't on her own too long when I go back to work on Monday. The lady who looks after the bunnies tehre seems really knowledgable and caring about the buns so that's a good sign I guess!

What a lovely, heartwarming thread :love: Its very rare to hear positive stories on a forum. Its suprising how many people on here have adopted from RSPCA Walsall :love:

Thank you for starting this thread Tracy, you do amazing work for your RSPCA branch too. There are so many lovely RSPCA volunteers out there that never get any thanks xx

Thanks. I'm not worried about it at all as I know my setup is good. Just want to get it done now so that Gretel isn't on her own too long when I go back to work on Monday. The lady who looks after the bunnies tehre seems really knowledgable and caring about the buns so that's a good sign I guess!

Hello Carol :wave: Its lovely to see you back on here. I'm so sorry to hear about Gregory, he was always one of my favourite RU bunnies :cry: I hope the home visit goes well so Gretel can have a new friend :)

Hello Carol :wave: Its lovely to see you back on here. I'm so sorry to hear about Gregory, he was always one of my favourite RU bunnies :cry: I hope the home visit goes well so Gretel can have a new friend :)

Thank you Becky! We are really missing him, but the RSPCA are hoping to find me a homechecker next week some time, so hopefully Boris Bungle-Bear McScruff will be joining us soon! :love:

Only a few months ago I reported a customer to the RSPCA who was badly treating a dog that she walked for her neighbour.

I was contacted by the inspector for more information, advised when the visit was going to happen, given feedback (as much as they were able to), and confirmed that this person would be monitored for some time until "improvements" were seen.

I've had a few dealings with the RSPCA regarding cruelty cases and have been satisfied that they have acted where they could.

I haven't had much to do with the RSPCA except I nearly adopted a bun from Becky at RSPCA Walsall and she was so lovely and helpful even when I had to let her down as my circumstances changed.

I visit the RSPCA charity shops lots too! :D

As you know I volunteer for my branch (although Im taking a break at the moment) and I have come across loads of heartwarming stories and people that work tirelessly and selflessly to help animals. I think people forget that they are a charity

I like you get sad and annoyed by the stories slating them

I have used the same one Webble volunteers for and I have always found the staff to be very helpful and friendly. It is kept very clean there too and they let us go and stroke the bunnies :love: I sometimes call in with some goodies for the bunnies and they are always grateful.

I got the black and white one in my avatar from there :love: (she is a minx but I love her)

Two of our three buns come from RSPCA, Milly from RSPCA Salford & Snowy from RSPCA Blackpool, it took roughly two weeks to get the homecheck done for Snowy, as we were outside the Blackpool area, being in Bury, but we could not fault Blackpool's commitment in getting someone to come and do the homecheck. The only negative side was there was some infighting between RSPCA centres who could do an homecheck, as it was explained the nearer centres would have prefered us to adopt with them. Eventually, I think the regional office got involved.

We were that impressed with Blackpool that we went back and adopted a gerbil & mouse from them & went to one of their open days for bunnies.

Would definately go back to either branch, if we had the room to adopt more bunnies.

My local RSCPA allowed me to have my Rabbit Care Stand at their Gala Day last year. It was very well received and they described it as "the fantastic Rabbit Care Stand" on the offical FB page off the event:). They also expressed an interest in me doing it again this year.

It was a brave step of them to allow me to do this becasue at the end of the day, I'm not part of any organisation, just a committed bunny owner.

Like the franchises that cash in on the name, I am shamelessly telling organisers that I have hosted it at the RSPCA Gala Day when I apply to take it to an event :oops:;)

I adopted my bridge bun Elliot from kayj. He was saved by a lovely RSPCA inspector from severe neglect. Had she not have found him, he wouldn't have lived to know what it was like to be loved and cared for properly. I'll always be so so thankful for her.

This is pretty much the same story for me and Inca :)

RSPCA Walsall are the best. I have had so many lovely bunnies from them and they have helped me out in return so many times. Becky and Vicky do amazing work there and I am sure they get very disheartened to hear so many negative comments all the time

This! I adopted Belle from RSPCA Walsall and Vicky was wonderful. Becky was fab in replying to my PMs, and Vicky had brought belle up so well. She was also there for me when I was bonding with my frantic phonecalls and constant texts.

I've had good experiences from RSPCA Worcester and Walsall from an adoptee point of view.

I was looking for a bun late last year. Worcester were really helpful in trying to help me find the right bun that i eventually found at Walsall :). It was so simple and easy - they used a homecheck done by one of their fosterers for another rescue, and offered assistance with bonding him with my pair of girls. The foster carer who had him was really lovely too and knew him well.

George is such a fab bun :love:- Thank you to RSPCA Walsall!

not sure if this is relevant - my only experience is with SSPCA in Scotland.

I adopted 2 of my present buns from the SSPCA in Inverness. They didn't homecheck us but they did ask us an awful lot of questions, including diet/accommodation/ holiday care etc. We also had to sign a form saying we would not breed from them as they were not spayed. They also insisted that as a bonded pair, they couldn't be separated. When they asked about vaccs, I said I would get them myxi'd first as we have wild buns near us. When they heard that, they actually did the vaccination there and then (centre is attached to vet surgery) which I thought was pretty good. I gave them an extra donation for that, but they didn't insist on it. They also gave us a voucher for each of them for 20% off a spay at their surgery. I got the impression that the lady was genuinely gutted to see them go but was glad they had a home.

They are the 2 on the left of my signature :love:

I just wanted to follow up on this post as our lovely boy Echo came from the SSPCA in Inverness too.

We went to look at Echo on 23rd Dec (the only day off I could get) and were told that they would not be rehoming over Christmas, but we welcome to come in for an interview. I spent 30mins talking to the woman in charge, and she asked loads of questions about our current set-up, what Tibbs was like (we already had her), how we would bond them and what I knew about rabbit care.

After all the questions, we were asked to sign to say we would not breed from Echo and we would bring him back to the branch if the bond didn't work. The woman then surprised us by saying we could come back and collect him the next day as she could see he would be "better with us over Christmas, than in a shed on his own". :love:

They were absolutely fab and Echo was a VERY lucky bunny to have been found by them!

Echo.jpg

Back