Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FOX Warning in Snow Areas

Default FOX Warning in Snow Areas

Whilst there is snow on the ground many of the small mammals that rural and suburban (and even urban) foxes rely on for a large part of their diet are not around. Mice, rats, etc and even pigeons will try and hide away and keep warm - making it more difficult for foxes to get their normal diet.

So they will be prepared to put more effort and time into getting into hutches and runs - and will also come out at unexpected times of day to do so.

I know its fun seeing buns in the snow but make sure they are secure at all times !!!

You can also 'use' the snow to see whether foxes do visit your garden/locality by looking for their tracks - may be an eyeopener for some people that think there are no foxes in their area!!!
    Who carry in their hearts Sweet Pea, Florence, Bramble, Parsnip, Quickthorn, Quince, Sage and little Snowdrop. We also remember Viola who visited.

Good advice I can't really check as my dogs paw prints look the same as a foxs though

You make a very valid point Twigs. Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Bouncing bunnies View Post
    Good advice I can't really check as my dogs paw prints look the same as a foxs though
    Foxes do have distinctive paw prints - you should be able to to tell the difference . . try looking on some of the websites that show various pawprints (wildlife websites)

I hate snow as our foxwatches dont work in the snow and even the electric fence will struggle in this weather.
    Who carry in their hearts Sweet Pea, Florence, Bramble, Parsnip, Quickthorn, Quince, Sage and little Snowdrop. We also remember Viola who visited.

Quote Originally Posted by parsnipbun View Post
    Foxes do have distinctive paw prints - you should be able to to tell the difference . . try looking on some of the websites that show various pawprints (wildlife websites)

I hate snow as our foxwatches dont work in the snow and even the electric fence will struggle in this weather.
    Last year when it snowed I thought I found some suspicious looking footprints... until I followed them up to the cat flap.

I'll keep a look out though. I know there are foxes in the area but I'm not sure whether they visit my garden.

Thank you FondueKid! :-)

Currently bunny mum to Ruby and Willow
    Binky Free Widget and Pipkin <3 <3

Wise Old Thumper

Good post parsnipbun.
    I also use the tracks to see where the foxes are getting in. In winter they come across the fields into our gardens just as you describe. It's useful for me to know that they come along the side of the house which is a blind spot from parts of the garden.

I also use the alarm calls of birds as predator warnings. I suspect that black birds have a specific fox call. A short sharp "chink". They certainly distingush between aerial & ground predators.

anyone got any photos, how can you tell the differnce between animals ie dog or cat to fox, would love to knwo more

IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

I hate to think foxes are prowling round after peoples buns I hope all the outside buns stay safe.xx
    What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
    Albert Pine

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by mini lop1 View Post
    anyone got any photos, how can you tell the differnce between animals ie dog or cat to fox, would love to knwo more
    If you have a lookon this site the 3 are compared. There are marked differences in the shape of the pads. In dogs & foxes the claws show but not in the cat family. Similarly the whole foot is more rounded in the cat family.
    http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=fox...1t:429,r:2,s:0
    Last edited by thumps_; 05-02-2012 at 06:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thumps_ View Post
    If you have a lookon this site the 3 are compared. There are marked differences in the shape of the pads. In dogs & foxes the claws show but not in the cat family. Similarly the whole foot is more rounded in the cat family.
    http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=fox...1t:429,r:2,s:0
    thanks

IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES