• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Myxomatosis Outbreaks 2012/13/14

Just had one of mine diagnosed with myxi yesterday. Fortunately he's vaccinated. When you said yours have got over it with meds, what have they been prescribed? Einstein is on Baytril for a problem with his eye last week that has cleared up but the vet said that there are no meds for myxi. He has diagnosed nodular myxi. Cheers

Just had one of mine diagnosed with myxi yesterday. Fortunately he's vaccinated. When you said yours have got over it with meds, what have they been prescribed? Einstein is on Baytril for a problem with his eye last week that has cleared up but the vet said that there are no meds for myxi. He has diagnosed nodular myxi. Cheers

Hi Mollyjoker here,my 3 had baytril and metacam.
Also had runny eyes and lumps,lucky no swellings around genitals.
But as i said 4 weeks on seem nearly over it.
Have justed had a lump on Smokey's ear fall off in my hand.
Vibes for Einstein.

There isnt any meds for myxi but the baytril stops any secondary infection. My Jakey has myxi at the moment (and hes had his jabs so hes just got lumps) and the vets said that hes got to have baytril for 3 weeks to make sure he dosnt get any other infections. How long has Einstein been on Baytril? Jake has also been on metacam for the past 2 weeks for pain releif but we've just run out of that.

Beware of new vaccine

My rabbit has Chronic Myxomatosis after new vaccine.

I think it is a reaction to the vaccine for a number of reasons:

1. we have 3 rabbits who have never been vaccinated up until now. They are 2 years old
2. since they have never been vaccinated before they do not have any immunity to it
3. they have been vaccinated with a live virus containing myxi
4. if Marley caught the virus in any other form, surely the other two rabbits would be showing symptoms by now, as they were all in the same hutch for at least one - two weeks before we separated them
5. we had them vaccinated September 11, (not high season) Marley started showing symptoms around the 20th - shaking his head at first. This seams too much of a coincidence since we have not vaccinated them before.

Marley is on Baytril at the moment and the vet has given him fluids.
Even the vet believes he is ill due to the vaccine, in her own words "I am furious with the new vaccine, we didn't have any problems with the single one,and our hands are tied as the only one available is the combined one!"

I think they should make people more aware of the risks.

My main concern is that a vaccine containing the live virus was considered unsafe before this combined one.

Marley is living with us in the lounge at the moment, although he has lumps on his nose and in his ears, his eyes are puffy but not gunky. The biggest concern is his breathing, he is wheezing. Has anyone else had this symptom? Or has anyone else nursed their rabbit to health with chronic Myxomatosis? I would like to know their experience and any advice they can offer to make Marley more comfortable.

Has your vet reported this to MSG, the vaccine manufacturer?

I hope your rabbit will recover.

Please be aware that there are implications for next year's vaccination for VHD

Has your vet reported this to MSG, the vaccine manufacturer?

I hope your rabbit will recover.

Please be aware that there are implications for next year's vaccination for VHD

Thankyou, Marley is still hanging on, it's heartbreaking listening to him wheeze though.

Yes, my vet has been very supportive. She has reported it to the Manufacturers as she's very angry with the new vaccine.

Last edited:
One of my rabbits has nodular myxi, we are in tyne and wear (whitley bay). I'd urge everyone to vaccinate. Confirmed over phone by vet

Confirmed myxi in Lincoln

There have been numerous suspected myxi cases in Lincoln but mine was confirmed today in my bun Buster i also have another bun with suspected myxi nodules on his ear.

Had a friend loose a rabbit to Myxi (Idiot didnt vaccinate) about 2 weeks ago in Widnes, Cheshire. Had forgot to post on here.

Edit: Recalled my vet asked me last time I took rats upto the vets if my rabbits had been vaccinated as there were rabbits coming in with it and few leaving.

Last edited:
Outbreak in Greater Manchester & Lancashire areas

We have had a few that have come into my vets with it and haven't survived unfortunately. Its a nightmare as I can't go anywhere near them for obvious reasons. All mine are vaccinated and urge everybody else to get theirs vaccinated that haven't already

Back