• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Myxomatosis Outbreaks 2012/13/14

I know of someone in Kent whose rabbit has contracted myxi despite having the combi vacc, I was suprised to hear it. he isn't too badly affected, are you collecting information on rabbits affected despite combi vacc?

It's the manufacturer who is collating any information about the vaccine. I am aware of the case you mean, if it's Norm and Wilbur. He said his vet is contacting MSD.

It's the manufacturer who is collating any information about the vaccine. I am aware of the case you mean, if it's Norm and Wilbur. He said his vet is contacting MSD.

No it isn't Norm & Wilbur, but i will point them in the direction of this thread, I have sent them the pdf details you posted about the bun who was nursed through myxi, any help & information is valuable :)

I live in Chichester and yesterday went to a butterfly and nostalgia museum (live butterfly's fluttering everywhere in a large greenhouse type thing not the dead pinned ones!) they also had a small animal section (which was a surprise) living conditions of the small animals looked pretty good but the giant rabbits were not there and there was a notice saying that due to a local outbreak of myxi they were being quarantined. The mini lops however were still there and they all had signs of myxi, very sore looking noses. The notice also said that all buns had been vaccinated and the ones I saw looked bright and relaxed so I'm hoping that they will be ok.

So obviously there is myxi in the Chichester area. :( now I'm hoping that we have not brought myxi home with us. Buns are vaccinated and we washed our hands and took shoes off outside despite not actually touching the infected rabbits...

Gosh. Not good news. Are we sure the vet has contacted makers? This is really vital ESP if new vaccine

Can I just remind everyone that whilst the new vaccine is better, it doesn't provide 100% immunity but if a vaccinated animal does contract myxi the symptoms should be less severe. The manufacturers claim is "reduction of mortality and clinical signs of myxomatosis." We still need to be vigilant and ensure any symptoms are treated promptly and not think our buns aren't at risk because they're vaccinated.

Can I just remind everyone that whilst the new vaccine is better, it doesn't provide 100% immunity but if a vaccinated animal does contract myxi the symptoms should be less severe. The manufacturers claim is "reduction of mortality and clinical signs of myxomatosis." We still need to be vigilant and ensure any symptoms are treated promptly and not think our buns aren't at risk because they're vaccinated.

I second that, the new vaccine does not give full immunity rabbits can still contract myxi

Reported Outbreak - 14th September - Newbury Berks

My friend who has a veterinary practice in Newbury has contacted me to say she's seen a number of rabbits this week who have contracted Myxomatosis and were seen in the well advanced stages. Unvaccinated sadly :-(

Please, please make sure your bunnies are vaccinated.

wildies with myxi seen in two different places on outskirts of Cambridge (NB to be clear - these are not my wildies but true wild wildies seen whilst out)

Myxi in Telford

I live in Telford, Shropshire and my Vet told me on Thursday, that he had just treated a rabbit with myxi :(

I'm helping out at a rescue centre and they said they had to have 16 rabbits put to sleep and the vet had told them it's a really bad strain of myxi going round and he'd put down about 60 in a week. I asked about the vaccine and the guy said the vet said it didn't always make a difference.

I was alarmed by this so called my vets to ask. They confirmed that they had had a lot of myxi cases and had put rabbits to sleep but they had not been vaccined. I wasn't going to put Doughnut outside but they said she would be fine since she's had the combination and they had not heard it was a new strain of myxi, it's just lack of vaccination.

I'm helping out at a rescue centre and they said they had to have 16 rabbits put to sleep and the vet had told them it's a really bad strain of myxi going round and he'd put down about 60 in a week. I asked about the vaccine and the guy said the vet said it didn't always make a difference.

I was alarmed by this so called my vets to ask. They confirmed that they had had a lot of myxi cases and had put rabbits to sleep but they had not been vaccined. I wasn't going to put Doughnut outside but they said she would be fine since she's had the combination and they had not heard it was a new strain of myxi, it's just lack of vaccination.

Unfortunately vaccinated bunnies can sometimes still get myxi, however if a vaccinated bunny is unfortunate enough to contract it they have a much better chance of survival. so its definately worth vaccinating.

I know of someone in Kent whose rabbit has contracted myxi despite having the combi vacc, I was suprised to hear it. he isn't too badly affected, are you collecting information on rabbits affected despite combi vacc?

Is there any news of how this rabbit is doing? I hope he's recovering

I queried the possibility of cases with combi vaccine with the representative of the makers and they 'reminded' me that with a 9-14 day incubation period for myxi, and the new vaccine taking 3 weeks to kick in fully, they felt any case up to one month after the vaccine might be regarded as not having had benefit of new vaccine -

although I have to say personally I feel that is a tad of a cop out.

I don't think it's a cop out because any vaccine takes weeks to work because you have to wait for the bodys immune response to develop enough antibodies to make a difference. The tetanus vaccine used in people takes 2 weeks, as does typhoid. For hepatitis you have two jabs a month apart and then a third 5 months after that before you are covered. It just the way it is.

I know that vaccines do take a while (used to travel loads so had nearly everything you can have:lol::lol:) but I feel that if every case of myxi that happens within a month of a bunny having the vaccine is written off as 'nothing wrong with vaccine' then we might be getting a false idea of breakdown figures. Especially given that many owners vaccinate in the lead up to the season in July/Aug . . so that first month after that covers some of the worst period for getting myxi.

Another case of Myxi in Kent. A friend who lives in Paddock Wood, West Kent lost one of her bunnies to Myxi yesterday - sadly unvaccinated and the vet considered the kindest option was pts (binky free baby).

One of mine has it and she is vaccinated. We live near Ormskirk.I persuaded/bulllied my neighbour 4 doors away to have hers vaccinated and I took them today for her. The vet said he had an unvaccinated one yesterday which was pts. He also works in Warrington (Grappenhall) and said that it is a daily occurance there. :cry:

My 3 have all had it still under old vaccine.
Lumps on noses ,eyes and ears but seem to be over it
after meds.
My main worry is that they are just about due the new vaccination,
but my vet is checking if it is ok to proceed so soon after having it.
I am so glad they were vaccinated.
A lot to do with the wet summer and humidity.
Please encourage any owner to vaccinate it is a horrible thing
and if they love their buns like we all do there is no argument.

Back