• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Myxomatosis Outbreaks 2012/13/14

Just as a note of caution: My partner and I went to watermead park in leicestershire today and saw several very myxomatosis ridden wild bunnies :(

I came home and disinfected our shoes and clothes and had a hot shower before i went near our little ones just in case as i know Iggy is due to go for his jab soonish.

i felt rather silly and know that the chance of infection to my house bunnies who live in a third floor apartment in the middle of a city is relatively small but best to be safe.

checking updates for jabs with Vet in a min.

I was very sorry to hear of all those who have lost bunnies to this horrible condition.:cry:

Out of interest, if you have a bonded pair and one gets myxomatosis - but the other seems healthy would you separate them? Also I see that people have suggested rabbits that live with others that have caught myxomatosis get vaccinated, but surely vaccinating a rabbit which is potentially already fighting an infection could just overwhelm the whole immune system?

re seperating - opinions will vary - however I do not - although I ensure neither have fleas and keep indoors and make effort to eliminate missies.

re vaccine - again its a risk you have to judge for yourself. I would vaccinate if I had an unvaccinated bun. Seem also to recall some evidence that vaccination in early stages of myxi can even help by triggerring a strong immune response . .

Confirmed Myxomatosis in Otford Kent

I have 2 mini rex bunnies, both vaccinated every 6 months, and both have got confirmed cases of myxomatosis (confirmed on Saturday 1st September). I live in Otford in Kent - which is near Sevenoaks. As they have been vaccinated we are treating them and hoping for the best. Please be warned. I'm currently purchasing mosquito nets as I believe this is how they contracted it as this year has been particularly bad.

Perhaps niavely I was not aware that the vaccination does not guarantee immunity at all - and the prognosis for their survival is not good.

I'm totally gutted.

I have 2 mini rex bunnies, both vaccinated every 6 months, and both have got confirmed cases of myxomatosis (confirmed on Saturday 1st September). I live in Otford in Kent - which is near Sevenoaks. As they have been vaccinated we are treating them and hoping for the best. Please be warned. I'm currently purchasing mosquito nets as I believe this is how they contracted it as this year has been particularly bad.

Perhaps niavely I was not aware that the vaccination does not guarantee immunity at all - and the prognosis for their survival is not good.

I'm totally gutted.

I am sorry :cry:

I do hope you Bunnies can pull through.

My boy Joey was pts today :cry: I'm devastated. The vet said she has seen 5 cases of it in the past few weeks. We are in Cheshire. Just got to hope that my other bun Pepper hasn't got it too. She is looking so sad right now :(
My bunnies were vaccinated too

Last edited:
York

Our vet has seen several cases in the last week and is advising revaccination of any rabbits that had the single vaccine 6 months ago.

Sad (and worried) to report that I saw a myxi ridden wildie on the train between Bicester and Banbury (Oxfordshire.)

I live on the south coast of Cornwall and my Jake has just gone down with myxi. Thankfully he is up to date with his myxi jab and the vet says he has a fighting chance. He is on baytril and metacam. He just has lumps around his head and face and thankfully hasnt spread to his genitals. No the vaccination dosnt stop them getting it completely but the vet said if he hadnt had it he would have been in a terrible state by now and he is still eating and hopping around and obviously fighting the infection.
Please, please, please if you havnt had them vaccinated - do it!! Its a horrible infection and the single injection is only about £15 (sorry dont know about the other one)

Hi!! No he had the old type vaccine in the spring. My surgery werent stocking the new combined one. Is there less chance of them contracting myxi with the new combined vaccine? His partner has been given another dose of the vaccine to try and boost her immunity. She is not showing any signs of illness at the moment.
Thank you for sharing the article. It was very interesting and I see it might be a long road to recovery. I dont know wether I should bring them into the house tonight for extra warmth?

I have also found out that my neighbours rabbit died of myxi recently (her rabbit wasnt vaccinated) so its obviously in the area. :-(

Hi!! No he had the old type vaccine in the spring. My surgery werent stocking the new combined one. Is there less chance of them contracting myxi with the new combined vaccine? His partner has been given another dose of the vaccine to try and boost her immunity. She is not showing any signs of illness at the moment.
Thank you for sharing the article. It was very interesting and I see it might be a long road to recovery. I dont know wether I should bring them into the house tonight for extra warmth?

There should be. The old vaccine is made from live virus of a related condition, Shope Fibroma and so can't give full protection. The new vaccine uses Myxoma virus that has been genetically modified so it cannot cause Myxi but should trigger the immune system to give full protection. It also contains genetic material from Calicivirus (the cause of VHD). Again, it cannot cause the disease, but is enough to trigger an immune response to the specific virus. There's a series of FAQs on our Blog from March. This is the first one http://rabbitwelfare.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/myxi-outbreak-and-ask-expert.html

Glad she isn't looking ill. I hope that continues.

Good wishes for all those who are unfortunate enough to have a rabbit that has caught this horrible illness

My two bunnies have started showing signs of myxi, I'm in the Heysham area of lancashire, both of them have been vaccinated within the last 6 months. The girl showed symptoms first about 5 days ago, with an inflamed eye and a nose swelling, but seems to be fine and hasn't progressed. Today the boy has got swollen eyes and seems a bit off. I lost an unvaccinated bunny to myxi about 4 years ago and also had two other vaccinated bunnies who got it in 2008. One had nodular myxi and was fine while the other went full-blown and got pneumonia, although he survived. I'm hoping the these two are going to be ok. I used echinacea previously with the boy that had pneumonia, as well as injectable baytril and fucithalmic eye ointment. Good luck and strength to everyone and their bunnies who are fighting this horrible virus.

My two bunnies have started showing signs of myxi, I'm in the Heysham area of lancashire, both of them have been vaccinated within the last 6 months. The girl showed symptoms first about 5 days ago, with an inflamed eye and a nose swelling, but seems to be fine and hasn't progressed. Today the boy has got swollen eyes and seems a bit off. I lost an unvaccinated bunny to myxi about 4 years ago and also had two other vaccinated bunnies who got it in 2008. One had nodular myxi and was fine while the other went full-blown and got pneumonia, although he survived. I'm hoping the these two are going to be ok. I used echinacea previously with the boy that had pneumonia, as well as injectable baytril and fucithalmic eye ointment. Good luck and strength to everyone and their bunnies who are fighting this horrible virus.

I am so sorry to hear that they have a fight on their hands - may we ask if the vaccination was the old one or the new combination? (I am trying to keep track after a discussion with the manufacturers rep. - they rely on vets telling them but obviously sometimes the vets have so much else to do . . )

I am so sorry to hear that they have a fight on their hands - may we ask if the vaccination was the old one or the new combination? (I am trying to keep track after a discussion with the manufacturers rep. - they rely on vets telling them but obviously sometimes the vets have so much else to do . . )

Owners can report to the manufacturers themselves, it does not have to be via a Vet. Owner would need to obtain batch number of vaccine given, this should be recorded on the Rabbit's Records/Vaccination Card

It was the single dose myxi vaccine. I wasn't aware until reading this thread that there was a new combi vaccine available. If my bunnies survive, which hopefully they will, then that is what they will get next time round.

Back