• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Myxomatosis Outbreaks 2012/13/14

I have four bunnies and havent had them vaccinated. When I had one bunny I did get her vaccinated but now I have four its quite a cost for all of them. I live in terraced housing so there is no way of a wild bunny being near my bunnies but like people say they can get it from on our clothes etc. Does anyone know if the RSPCA do it at a lesser cost than a normal vets where I could get all four buns done at once?

http://burton.easipetcare.com/prices

These are near you and offer cheaper vaccinations.

Bunnies are expensive! Myxi can be spread through your clothes, shoes, biting insects. I don't know if the RSPCA do it cheaply- I've never heard of it, but my vets do a £2 discount for the second rabbit.

I think you really need to get them done :-s VHD too- imagine how you'd feel if they caught either :oops:

I know i would never forgive myself...i will speak to my vets and see how much it is for all four of them and also see if they do the combined vaccination. When I got all four buns I could afford them easily but my partner has become ill so its only me working for the time being which is why i havent had them done :(

Myxomatosis in Congleton, Cheshire

Just found a poor wild bunny in the road with Myxomatosis in Congleton, Cheshire - took it straight to the vet to be put to sleep - please vaccinate your rabbits with urgency if you are near this area, many thanks.

I know i would never forgive myself...i will speak to my vets and see how much it is for all four of them and also see if they do the combined vaccination. When I got all four buns I could afford them easily but my partner has become ill so its only me working for the time being which is why i havent had them done :(

good news my vet has ordered in the combined vaccination for my four buns which will be here tomorrow so going to get them all done. Not sure about bluebell yet though as she is still sore down below so will need to see if the vet thinks its a good idea vaccinating her whilst shes not well. Will see what they say. The vet also said they have had many wild rabbits brought in with myxi recently, my dad has also reported many of them and that is around the Buxton area of derbyshire.

Myxomatosis in Chapel en le frith nr Buxton, Derbyshire

A group of wild buns with the disease up on eccles pike (a popular walking spot for tourists) so people in that area please avoid if you have buns.

Up here in Canada you don't have to worry too much about myxomatosis. I have never seen a rabbit with myxo. But I have heard alot about it. I never had my rabbits vaccinated either(we don't have many wild rabbits here).

I'm getting my bun vaccinated, and wanted to know the name of this 'new' myxo vaccination that you've mentioned. I want to make sure he has the best/correct jab, so it would be good to know the name of it so that I can ask the vet :)

Also, would it be best to get the combined vaccination? I've never done this before, so any info would be greatly appreciated!! :D Thank you!

I'm getting my bun vaccinated, and wanted to know the name of this 'new' myxo vaccination that you've mentioned. I want to make sure he has the best/correct jab, so it would be good to know the name of it so that I can ask the vet :)

Also, would it be best to get the combined vaccination? I've never done this before, so any info would be greatly appreciated!! :D Thank you!

Hi, off the top of my head I cannot remember the name for the combined vaccination, however I would highly recommend it. Both my buns have had their first combined one, and neither displayed signs of any side effects. Just remember that even though the vaccine lasts for a year, take your bun for regular teeth and health checks in between :)

Myxomatosis

Hey all.

Can people please add confirmed or suspected (although please state which) Myxomatosis outbreaks in their area with the date of first case.
It would also be helpful to state whether it has been seen in domestic or wild rabbits or both.

This will help to warn people who have not vaccinated their rabbits and to consider minimising risks of contracting the disease.

Many thanks.

:wave:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?52031-FAQ-%96-Rabbit-Vaccination
Just to let everybody know, my lovely rabbit fluffy has contracted Myxi, we live in Abingdon near Oxford. She has the run of the garden which has a wall around it and we have had her for 4 years. We noticed her eyes were swollen last week and took her to the vet, he said that he suspected Myxi because her genitals were also swollen, but he was not sure and said to bring her back if she did not improve. She is now looking very poorly and is off her food, I am taking her to the vets tomorrow morning. We have also noticed that our other rabbit marmalade has swollen eyes, she has got it too. Both rabbits were not vaccinated and we have never heard of this disease around here before. It must have come into our garden via a biting insect. We have 3 other rabbits and are very worried about them.

Just to let everybody know, my lovely rabbit fluffy has contracted Myxi, we live in Abingdon near Oxford. She has the run of the garden which has a wall around it and we have had her for 4 years. We noticed her eyes were swollen last week and took her to the vet, he said that he suspected Myxi because her genitals were also swollen, but he was not sure and said to bring her back if she did not improve. She is now looking very poorly and is off her food, I am taking her to the vets tomorrow morning. We have also noticed that our other rabbit marmalade has swollen eyes, she has got it too. Both rabbits were not vaccinated and we have never heard of this disease around here before. It must have come into our garden via a biting insect. We have 3 other rabbits and are very worried about them.

I am very sorry :cry:

I would advise you to take all your Rabbits to the Vet who may feel it to be appropriate to vaccinate those who are asymptomatic at the moment.

Sadly all Rabbits are at risk of both Myxomatosis and VHD unless fully vaccinated

There is some information about both horrible diseases here:

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/vacination28.8.07.pdf

Myxo Outbreaks - August 2012 New Milton/Lymington Area, Hampshire

Lara (Nursecroft) messaged me yesterday to say that her vet/friend has seen a high number of cases of myxo in her practice in the New Milton area of Hampshire.

No excuse for not vaccinating - it's easy and we owe it to our rabbits so please get yours protected if they are healthy enough.

I don't have any specifics but we have a warren of wild rabbits living on the way to a small local town (my boyfriends friends live there) and it is quite close to Plymouth. We pass by quite often and they all look very healthy and disease free. Never found a dead one with myxi symptoms.

Not definite yes or no but I thought wild rabbits would be more likely to catch diseases and as far as I can tell they always look bright eyed and healthy.

Myxo in Essex :(

Hi All,

My beautiful Denise was PTS yesterday following diagnosis of myxo :cry: She fell ill so quickly and luckily I have a fab vet who is bunny savvy.

We live in Southend on Sea, Essex - just thought I would let fellow bunny owners know.

Her vaccine was out of date...needless to say I am at fault, all my other 3 bunnies have now been vaccinated however we are awaiting any symptoms of the disease in them. (Praying that they will be ok :( )

PLEASE PLEASE vacinate your bunnies - there is an injection that lasts a whole year now and its not worth the heartache of having to say goodbye to your bunnies.

Thanks, Nikki xx

Back