Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Myxomatosis Outbreaks 2012/13/14

Mama Doe

hmm im wondering also whether it will be bad this year because of our mild winter. mine just got vaccs udated thank goodness!

Just a new owner of a house bunny should i get her vaccinated too?

I was at the vets today, they said Mixi has been seen mid-north Wales already.

As for house buns if they are going t o go outside or be likely to come into contact with fleas/midges/mosquitoes then I would say get vaccine. I'm keeping mine in until the combined vaccine is out as neither have been vaccined as yet and the combined one is better if used from the start. Arrival is imminent I think!
    My name is Neleh and I'm a bunnyaddict, I can't get enough of bunnies, they are all so cute, fluff and squishy.

Default Myxi outbreaks in Leeds and Barnsley

We have had reports about a myxi outbreak in Leeds - please make sure that your rabbits are all vaccinated, and if you know of any more outbreaks please let us know so that we can warn others.

After posting this on Facebook, we had a further report of an outbreak in Barnsley

The exceptionally mild winter has affected the whole of the British Isles and it's highly likely that the outbreak reports are going to be rolling in thick and fast.

PLEASE KEEP VACCINATIONS UP TO DATE. If your vet is still using the old vaccine, it needs to be given every 6 months whether you have indoor or outdoor rabbits. All are susceptible. The new vaccine should be with vets now and it is only needed once per year, but again, all rabbits need to have it.

We are still getting reports of Myxi, please keep sharing them with us on this forum and also on our Facebook page - and make sure your bunnies are vaccinated. By sharing the news in this way, we reach more owners, and help protect more rabbits.

You'll find updated notifications on our Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/permalink.ph...d=191449507147 and here http://www.facebook.com/permalink.ph...d=191449507147

Hi. I have some good news. I had my Bertie at the vet a few weeks ago for his myxi jab. And my vet said that so far this year there isn't that many reported yet. I am in Lydd, Kent.

Don't know when it will happen this way but none that have been reported yet anyway, I've not seen any yet.

Amy x
    Little furries all the way!!

Quote Originally Posted by Charmednm View Post
    Just a new owner of a house bunny should i get her vaccinated too?
    Yes, all rabbits should be vaccinated against it. Its not a very nice thign to see. My cousins rabbit had it, horrible. And a few years ago I saw a wild one with it. Both indoor and outdoor rabbits can get it!

Amy x
    Little furries all the way!!

Warren Scout

Hello,

I have been told by two sources of wildies with Myxi in Peebles, Scottish Borders.

Poor wildies :-(

I have four bunnies and havent had them vaccinated. When I had one bunny I did get her vaccinated but now I have four its quite a cost for all of them. I live in terraced housing so there is no way of a wild bunny being near my bunnies but like people say they can get it from on our clothes etc. Does anyone know if the RSPCA do it at a lesser cost than a normal vets where I could get all four buns done at once?

Warren Scout

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Logamorph View Post
    I have four bunnies and havent had them vaccinated. When I had one bunny I did get her vaccinated but now I have four its quite a cost for all of them. I live in terraced housing so there is no way of a wild bunny being near my bunnies but like people say they can get it from on our clothes etc. Does anyone know if the RSPCA do it at a lesser cost than a normal vets where I could get all four buns done at once?
    Bunnies are expensive! Myxi can be spread through your clothes, shoes, biting insects. I don't know if the RSPCA do it cheaply- I've never heard of it, but my vets do a 2 discount for the second rabbit.

I think you really need to get them done :-s VHD too- imagine how you'd feel if they caught either