• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Myxomatosis Outbreaks 2012/13/14

Any probs in Berkshire been seen?

Just registered in order to spread the word that my husband and I just had to take a wild baby bunny to a vet in Abingdon (Oxon), so that they could put the little one down. It must have been living in one of our hedges (we live in a rural spot in between Burcot and Clifton Hampden, Oxon), but this morning it appeared in the open in our garden and was very sluggish with tightly closed red eyes. It didn't respond to noise or our presence, so we rang the vet and they said it was almost certainly myoxmatosis and to bring the little one to the vet so that it wouldn't suffer any more. So that's what we did. How heartbreaking.

Just registered in order to spread the word that my husband and I just had to take a wild baby bunny to a vet in Abingdon (Oxon), so that they could put the little one down. It must have been living in one of our hedges (we live in a rural spot in between Burcot and Clifton Hampden, Oxon), but this morning it appeared in the open in our garden and was very sluggish with tightly closed red eyes. It didn't respond to noise or our presence, so we rang the vet and they said it was almost certainly myoxmatosis and to bring the little one to the vet so that it wouldn't suffer any more. So that's what we did. How heartbreaking.

:cry:

You did the most humane thing for the poor Wildie.

:cry:

You did the most humane thing for the poor Wildie.

Thank you for saying this...it's the first time I've ever had to make this kind of decision and it's been an incredibly sad/difficult day. Although we don't have any pet rabbits (just a very spoiled kitty ;)), we hate to see any animal suffer and, initially, I had hoped that maybe we could save the little one (I had never heard of myoxmatosis before this...), and was quite upset when I realised the cause/scope of the situation. The vet was really wonderful though and we made sure that we minimised the stress of getting the bunny to the vet as much as possible. To be honest, the little one really didn't struggle at all and we put him/her in our cat's carrier with lots of grass and a couple of baby chantenay carrots that I have been growing. I wish I could upload a picture of the poor wee one, but I don't have a web-based photo account. :(

I'm in Kent, Medway near Isle of Grain and it's present now in wild buns and sadly many pet buns in my area have already succumbed. My 2 girls has contracted it also but we are fighting for them to pull through as they're fully vaccinated x

I have seen a few cases recently in Suffolk, UK. The vet said he has sadly had to put a lot of pet bunnies to sleep recently too, that have been taken in with Myxomatosis. :(

Reported in Somerset. There was an announcement in the pet centre of the local Garden Centre between taunton and bridgwater.

A friend lost her two bunnies last week, and a relative had a Wilde with myxi in their garden. We are in Bedfordshire.:cry:

Wild rabbit myxi report

WILD MYXI REPORT:

"Shornemead Fort by the Thames about 2 miles east of Gravesend Kent,

it is quite an isolated area but the marsh continues pretty much right up to the first housing estates to the east of Gravesend"

XXX

Lost my 3 year old Lion Head - Cloudy - to myxy a few days ago :( very sudden even though he was vaccinated regularly. :cry:

We've had several reports too from various areas, most recently in the North East, in Washington and Birtley and also Wallsend, Red Row and Ashington.

Somebody wrote to tell us about a lot of wild rabbits dead and dying on a golf course in Netherley, Liverpool.

There are other recent reports too on these Facebook threads https://www.facebook.com/1914495071...1410524006./10152690816167148/?type=1&theater and https://www.facebook.com/1914495071...1410524006./10152663998527148/?type=1&theater

Geez I hope it comes no where near me :(

My own vet (Gilmoor Vet Group, Durham, Sunderland and Spennymoor) has had to pts a lot of rabbits this summer with Myxi. Wildies and pets alike. Where I live (Houghton le Spring) there are usually a lot of wild rabbits around but I haven't seen a single one since early summer :(

Was speaking to my vet today (Widnes, Cheshire) he said he's had to put a few rabbits down this month due to Myxi. Not sure if it's considered an outbreak but thought I should state regardless.

No :(, I found out second hand from my husband, I'll ask him to take more of a look. There was one just sitting haunched in a gutter on the crossroads outside the college, I wish I knew if the students managed to rescue it in the end

wilide found with severe myxi symptoms in heaton park, Prestwich, been pts, its getting nearer, mabel is vaccinated but im scared I went heaton park on sunday with nephew

A domestic bunny PTS on the wirral with myxi. Don't know if he was vaccinated - heard via a friend. There's a plague of salt marsh mosquitoes around the estuary so they may be the culprit. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saw a wild bunny with myxomatosis in Havant, Hampshire, today. There is a large warren in the area so I imagine there will be or is already a large number affected.

Back