• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Myxomatosis Outbreaks 2012/13/14

There has been a confirmed case of Myxomatosis in an unvaccinated pet rabbit in the Leicestershire area.

Please please make sure that your rabbits' vaccinations are up to date, and share this alert to make sure that other rabbit owners are aware. There was a VHD outbreak in Newcastle upon Tyne very recently too - both Myxi and VHD are out there and rabbits need to be vaccinated. Unvaccinated rabbits that catch either disease stand no hope of recovery.

The combined vaccine lasts 12 months.

Have heard via a friend there has been Myxi in the Northampton area this past week or so.

Wild rabbit with Myxi picked up in Bishop Auckland area tonight. Unexpected trip to vets tomorrow :-( I can't leave them to suffer, and still sleep at night). I'm not a rabbit owner so no worries there, but registered to let people know..I can't bear to see ANY animal suffer, and Myxi is particularly horrible....

Wild rabbit with Myxi picked up in Bishop Auckland area tonight. Unexpected trip to vets tomorrow :-( I can't leave them to suffer, and still sleep at night). I'm not a rabbit owner so no worries there, but registered to let people know..I can't bear to see ANY animal suffer, and Myxi is particularly horrible....

How kind you are. If only all rabbit owners were as compassionate! Thank you for helping lessen the suffering of this little one

Myxi outbreaks just outside of Canterbury

A friend has had 5 bunnies pts in 4 weeks and I had to have Hogan PTS on Friday :evil:

Too raw to write about it, I will do in time, thought it best to pass on :thumb:

Two wild rabbits with mxyi just outside my house near Long Sutton, Lincolnshire.

Their suffering was humanely ended by our local pest control officer.

Now I know where Adele got it from (she has made a full recovery I should add).

Caz

My rescue rabbit that I have wonky had for 3 months has come down with it yesterday she has got baytril and eye drops. Can you recommend anything else? I'm really stressed out my other rabbit is going to have the vac injection today .zoe

wild rabbit just outside Cambridge (not one of my wildies thankfully)

Vet is saying that she feels the new vaccine should hold it better in vac'd rabbits

Myxi outbreaks just outside of Canterbury

A friend has had 5 bunnies pts in 4 weeks and I had to have Hogan PTS on Friday :evil:

Too raw to write about it, I will do in time, thought it best to pass on :thumb:

Very sad.
Were they vaccinated?

Are vaccinated rabbits catching myxi, ours are done every12 months, are they 100% safe?

Unfortunately they are still able to contract myxo when vaccinated. It is less likely but does happen I'm afraid :( I would follow extra precautions if there was an outbreak in my area. Pooka contracted modular myxo this year just after her vaccine and was fine, the nodules went down with time and my boys didn't get it.

<sobs quietly> I just found my boy has myxi - went to get him in and he's in a horrible state - yesterday was slightly off colour. I cannot believe how fast this has come on, and he's jabbed!

Vet tomorrow. He's eight so it's not looking good.

So myxi outbreak in Bedfordshire :(

<sobs quietly> I just found my boy has myxi - went to get him in and he's in a horrible state - yesterday was slightly off colour. I cannot believe how fast this has come on, and he's jabbed!

I'm so sorry.
Don't give up hope, however. He isn't old at 8 - and he stands a chance of recovery as he is vaccinated. When was he was vaccinated?

Just under a year ago, we were taking him down in a couple of weeks.... I can't understand how he's got it. He's outside during the day with his friend Hattie, and indoors at night. The only thing I can think of is a blasted flea from one of the hedgehogs that frequent the garden. We back on to fields but no rabbits can get near the garden. I made sure of that.

Poor poor little lad.

Just checked him for the twentieth time and he's sitting with his head in the corner, has nibbled some food but not eaten properly. I've been doing some research for the lsat two hours to see how we can pull him through. He's never been a particularly strong rabbit.

Just under a year ago, we were taking him down in a couple of weeks.... I can't understand how he's got it. He's outside during the day with his friend Hattie, and indoors at night. The only thing I can think of is a blasted flea from one of the hedgehogs that frequent the garden. We back on to fields but no rabbits can get near the garden. I made sure of that.

Poor poor little lad.

Just checked him for the twentieth time and he's sitting with his head in the corner, has nibbled some food but not eaten properly. I've been doing some research for the lsat two hours to see how we can pull him through. He's never been a particularly strong rabbit.

The best thing you can do is get him to the vet first thing in the morning.

With good veterinary care vaccinated rabbits stand a good chance of recovery. I hope this is the case for your boy

This may give you hope http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/Malcolm'sdiary-updatedSummer2011.pdf

And as somebody else said, 8 isn't old. The fact that he is nibbling is good.

So sad to report he's gone. He looked way worse even in the few hours I left him. Went straight to vet first thing and she looked him over and said best thing was euthanase. She thinks his immune system was somehow compromised (as I said he's always been quite a delicate little rabbit) and his jab was due today, literally twelve months to the day. Putting him down was a nightmare, poor little bun, I've brought him home to bury. He was ten, not eight, I was getting confused in the worry last night. He was about five or six when we got him from rescue, and we've had him five years

The big worry now is keeping Hattie from developing it since they were out together yesterday, as they always were. So far she's absolutely fine, hopping a about and eating, but of course I daren't let her sniff his body as vet advises no contact.

Sleep tight Fidget :)

Thank you RosRWAF :)

So far happy to say that Hattie is eating and behaving normally, a bit quiet, I'm hoping that's due to being on her own. As soon as she gets the all clear I'll be looking for another husbun for her

Thank you RosRWAF :)

So far happy to say that Hattie is eating and behaving normally, a bit quiet, I'm hoping that's due to being on her own. As soon as she gets the all clear I'll be looking for another husbun for her

hoping she is well - might be worth double checking that your vet is giving (has given) the newer combined myxi and vhd vaccine which has the new myxi vaccine which lasts 12 months - the older one only lasted 6 months and should have been repeated every six months.

Although if a rabbit has a very poor immune response even vaccines cannot help sadly.

Back