• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Myxomatosis Outbreaks 2012/13/14

Leanne

Wise Old Thumper
Hey all.

Can people please add confirmed or suspected (although please state which) Myxomatosis outbreaks in their area with the date of first case.
It would also be helpful to state whether it has been seen in domestic or wild rabbits or both.

This will help to warn people who have not vaccinated their rabbits and to consider minimising risks of contracting the disease.

Many thanks.

:wave:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?52031-FAQ-%96-Rabbit-Vaccination

Last edited by a moderator:
My vet told me he had to pts a house rabbit with myxo a few days ago.

I'm in the Livingston area.

I was speaking with my vet this afternoon and he mentioned he's seen some wild rabbits with myxi - he's near Salisbury - so told me to def get it done as mine is due this week (I'm in Southampton).

Pretty much confirmed mild case of Chronic/Nodular myxi in a vaccinated house rabbit Lincs/Cambs/Norfolk border.

We live in Lincs near Spalding but we get our hay from Cambs near Wisbech so not sure if it was our cat, a mozzie through the cat flap or the hay that brought in the biting insects.

Caz

Myxomatosis Alert

Written by Richard on Monday 16th of January 2012

Traditionally, the number of cases of myxomatosis in rabbits gets less in the winter. The virus is spread primarily by biting insects such as fleas and midges. It can also spread by close contact. We have seen some cases over the last two weeks and would urge rabbit owners to vaccinate their pet rabbits.

Bridgwater, Somerset.

:(

Two wild rabbits with mxyi just outside my house near Long Sutton, Lincolnshire.

Their suffering was humanely ended by our local pest control officer.

Now I know where Adele got it from (she has made a full recovery I should add).

Caz

Our vets is warning of a possible outbreak of myxomatosis in Bristol....
This follows reports from Keynsham Veterinary Centre and Lucas Vets that many wild rabbits have been spotted suffering and dying with the disease around the Keynsham and Saltford area.

myxomatosis outbreak Colinton

Hey all.

Can people please add confirmed or suspected (although please state which) Myxomatosis outbreaks in their area with the date of first case.
It would also be helpful to state whether it has been seen in domestic or wild rabbits or both.

This will help to warn people who have not vaccinated their rabbits and to consider minimising risks of contracting the disease.

Many thanks.

:wave:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?52031-FAQ-%96-Rabbit-Vaccination

Recently saw one dead and one young blind rabbit in Colinton Dell, Edinburgh, Scotland last week around 26th of February 2012. Both wild rabbits.

So sad

Last edited:
Staffordshire - 14/3/12

We have a lot of wild rabbits in our garden in Staffordshire - they eat most of our plants but I like to see them. I am pretty sure several of the younger rabbits are suffering from Myxomatosis as I have seen it in previous years. I have found one dead and there are at least three with very poorly swollen eyes. I noticed the first one at the end of February.

hmm im wondering also whether it will be bad this year because of our mild winter. mine just got vaccs udated thank goodness!

I was at the vets today, they said Mixi has been seen mid-north Wales already.

As for house buns if they are going t o go outside or be likely to come into contact with fleas/midges/mosquitoes then I would say get vaccine. I'm keeping mine in until the combined vaccine is out as neither have been vaccined as yet and the combined one is better if used from the start. Arrival is imminent I think!

Myxi outbreaks in Leeds and Barnsley

We have had reports about a myxi outbreak in Leeds - please make sure that your rabbits are all vaccinated, and if you know of any more outbreaks please let us know so that we can warn others.

After posting this on Facebook, we had a further report of an outbreak in Barnsley

The exceptionally mild winter has affected the whole of the British Isles and it's highly likely that the outbreak reports are going to be rolling in thick and fast.

PLEASE KEEP VACCINATIONS UP TO DATE. If your vet is still using the old vaccine, it needs to be given every 6 months whether you have indoor or outdoor rabbits. All are susceptible. The new vaccine should be with vets now and it is only needed once per year, but again, all rabbits need to have it.

Hi. I have some good news. I had my Bertie at the vet a few weeks ago for his myxi jab. And my vet said that so far this year there isn't that many reported yet. I am in Lydd, Kent.

Don't know when it will happen this way but none that have been reported yet anyway, I've not seen any yet.

Amy x

Just a new owner of a house bunny should i get her vaccinated too?

Yes, all rabbits should be vaccinated against it. Its not a very nice thign to see. My cousins rabbit had it, horrible. And a few years ago I saw a wild one with it. Both indoor and outdoor rabbits can get it!

Amy x

Hello,

I have been told by two sources of wildies with Myxi in Peebles, Scottish Borders.

Poor wildies :-(

I have four bunnies and havent had them vaccinated. When I had one bunny I did get her vaccinated but now I have four its quite a cost for all of them. I live in terraced housing so there is no way of a wild bunny being near my bunnies but like people say they can get it from on our clothes etc. Does anyone know if the RSPCA do it at a lesser cost than a normal vets where I could get all four buns done at once?

I have four bunnies and havent had them vaccinated. When I had one bunny I did get her vaccinated but now I have four its quite a cost for all of them. I live in terraced housing so there is no way of a wild bunny being near my bunnies but like people say they can get it from on our clothes etc. Does anyone know if the RSPCA do it at a lesser cost than a normal vets where I could get all four buns done at once?

Bunnies are expensive! Myxi can be spread through your clothes, shoes, biting insects. I don't know if the RSPCA do it cheaply- I've never heard of it, but my vets do a £2 discount for the second rabbit.

I think you really need to get them done :-s VHD too- imagine how you'd feel if they caught either :oops:

Back