• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

VHD Outbreaks 2014

My vet said there have been some confirmed in North Somerset recently (he didn't say when they started).

I lost one of mine a couple of weeks ago to VHD. I'm in Wootton Bassett, near Swindon, so its obviously in the South West. Please please please don't go over on your vaccinations. All mine were due their boosters the week after we lost Whisper. We were unlucky with Whisper, one of my others, Merry, has suspected VHD and has spent a week hospitalised and is now, I hope, recovering though he looks very gaunt.

One of my previous vets had told me that it wasn't worth vaccinating if VHD isn't in the area. My current vets pointed out that many cases will go undiagnosed as they result in very sudden deaths and often the vets don't see the animal. My own vet was unsure at first with Whisper and it is only through post mortem that they could confirm. It's horrible to see, please don't run the risk. :cry:

I just lost a rabbit to suspected VHD. I live in East Yorkshire - near Hull.
It is so important to vaccinate against this, Holly was not vaccinated as she was recovering from an illness, her husbun is vaccinated and has shown no signs of the disease.

Binky free Holly, You will be missed :cry: :cry:

One of our rabbit friendly vets has just been in touch to advise us that there is a VHD outbreak suspected in Newcastle Upon Tyne. This is not confirmed by a lab as yet, but in the vet's opinion this is very likely to be the case.

Please share this information, and make sure your rabbits' vaccinations are up to date.

VHD and Myxi is now a combined and annual vaccination and should be available from any UK vet practice

For updates please see our Facebook page here https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10151658145927148&id=191449507147

VHD Maidstone area

Had 4 probable cases in last week. South Maidstone. PME v suspicious, lab results pending.

:wave: Hi Peeps - just to advise I was at my vets today and they have an alert up on their notice board that VHD outbreak has been reported in the Kidderminster, Worcestershire area.:(:(:(:(

VHD outbreak - Lincolnshire

Had this posted on my news feed:

Foxhall Veterinary:

**WARNING ALL RABBIT OWNERS**

We have had several reported cases of sudden deaths in rabbits over the past five days.
The symptoms all indicate a potential outbreak of Rabbit Haemorrhaging disease or VHD.

It is a very contagious and nasty viral disease that can be transmitted by contact through contact/insects/environment etc.. (very similar to a cold virus in humans)
Rabbits can die without any warning of being ill.

Vaccination is the only way to protect against this aggressive virus.

Please contact the surgery for advice.

VHD outbreak in Notts/Derby

Had a letter from the vets this morning informing me that Lola needs vaccinating, with a warning that there has been an outbreak in Notts and surrounding areas.

Apparently its the first time a outbreak has been reported, so please make sure your bunnies vaccs are up to date :wave:

I lost my handsome little man to vhd, thought the previous owner had had him vaccinated and was going to get him redone after christmas but lost him last night :cry:, getting my other rabbit redone tomorrow, i am in Lightwater Surrey

I lost my handsome little man to vhd, thought the previous owner had had him vaccinated and was going to get him redone after christmas but lost him last night :cry:, getting my other rabbit redone tomorrow, i am in Lightwater Surrey

OMG how awful :cry: I am so sorry :cry: Are you certain it was VHD ?

Thats what the vet said, he got used a syringe on his stomach and it was slightly bloated and full of blood, he fitted in his carrier and just died when i got to the vets xx

Back