• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pet Podz - its Eglu all over again...

Thank you for posting this.

I cannot believe the ignorance (or attitude if they aren't ignorant) of some manufacturers. This is indefensable with so much information about good housing now available.

My first thought was that this company want to cash in on the Eglu phenomenon and make loads of money. I think it's a bit of a Eglu rip off and wonder what they think about it. In any event, we just need to make sure that lots of people know that it's simply too small so people why not post the link to your FB page and make people aware. I have and at the very least it will open up more discussion with people who don't know that it's simply not good enough.

Thank you for posting this.

I cannot believe the ignorance (or attitude if they aren't ignorant) of some manufacturers. This is indefensable with so much information about good housing now available.

My first thought was that this company want to cash in on the Eglu phenomenon and make loads of money. I think it's a bit of a Eglu rip off and wonder what they think about it. In any event, we just need to make sure that lots of people know that it's simply too small so people why not post the link to your FB page and make people aware. I have and at the very least it will open up more discussion with people who don't know that it's simply not good enough.

Perhaps it would be worth contacting Eglu to see if it infringes on any of their patents - if Eglu can get on their case it would maybe stop them going on sale (I know we all don't like Eglu as a brand but they might be useful in this case!) ;)

Perhaps it would be worth contacting Eglu to see if it infringes on any of their patents - if Eglu can get on their case it would maybe stop them going on sale (I know we all don't like Eglu as a brand but they might be useful in this case!) ;)

Good idea! I was just saying this to my boss at work. I know when a company tried to make a rip off of the biorb 'life' tanks, the whole lot were taken away from the other company and destroyed. Shame for this new company, but maybe it'll make them think!

Good idea! I was just saying this to my boss at work. I know when a company tried to make a rip off of the biorb 'life' tanks, the whole lot were taken away from the other company and destroyed. Shame for this new company, but maybe it'll make them think!

Interesting. It does make me wonder, if they haven't done the basic (and totally free) market research of just finding out recommended living habitats for the animals targeted at, they probably haven't done the (reasonably costly) job of finding out if there are patents on the ideas they are putting to market. I can't see how, if Eglu do have their product properly protected, Petz Podz have managed to skirt around those patents with a product that looks pretty much identical and is made of the same materials.

Interesting. It does make me wonder, if they haven't done the basic (and totally free) market research of just finding out recommended living habitats for the animals targeted at, they probably haven't done the (reasonably costly) job of finding out if there are patents on the ideas they are putting to market. I can't see how, if Eglu do have their product properly protected, Petz Podz have managed to skirt around those patents with a product that looks pretty much identical and is made of the same materials.

I think it might be worth emailing Eglu about this. As you say they do look very much the same and this was my first thought when I saw the advert.. infact here is a picture of said advert..
392260_10151116896115375_591175374_22075944_1348424551_n.jpg

I've typed out a large reply:

The Petz Podz look like they could have some really good uses - cat and dog beds, litter trays and outdoor kennels because of the flap. Unfortunately, though, they definitely aren't suitable for permanent accommodation for rabbits.

The minimum housing size for two small rabbits is 6 foot x 2 foot x 2 foot, attached permanently to a run that's at least 6 x 4 foot or larger. This allows them to shelter from the weather (and humans/pets if inside!), and have a decent size exercise area. They still need time outside this accommodation too. The reason for 6 foot long is so they can take 3 hops, and 2 foot deep and wide allows them to lie comfortably and also stand on their back legs and 'periscope' - which is natural behaviour that the bunnies need to express.

Whilst your designs have some good points, I'm afraid they need work in order to be marketable for rabbits/guinea pigs/chickens. The plastic hut bit is too small for any kind of permanent shelter, even for guinea pigs who arguably require less indoor space. Certainly not enough for chickens or rabbits :(. As I've posted on one of your photos, the mesh is not predator proof as you claim, unfortunately. Many outdoor prey animals in the UK die every year due to irresponsible manufacturers selling mesh which allows foxes and cats to get their mouth/claws round an animal - please don't contribute to this :(. A final problem with outdoor setups is the plastic will heat up a lot in summer, and as rabbits have no way to lose heat, many animals could die because of the design.

UK pet owners are often misinformed and unfortunately a lot of animals are bought without much prior education. If they go out and see this kind of products marketed as appropriate for rabbits/guinea pigs/chickens, they will assume that they are.

We can see you've put thought into your product and may not have thought of the above problems :)

Perhaps you could look into creating a larger plastic area and marketing them for as indoor homes for guinea pigs? That would fill a niche, as guinea pigs don't quite require the same size accommodation as rabbits and chickens, and there is a lack of decent guinea pig accommodation on the market. If you make the mesh smaller, and perhaps the run a bit shorter, they would also make fabulous homes for smaller animals such as hamsters etc!

Hopefully they'll read it!

Do you know if there were any names associated with the company? I know Cloverleaf Farm...just wondering if this company is associated with existing ones there

Last edited:
I will too once my darn uni exams are over and I can concentrate properly on what I want to say :roll:

What did you say to them?

I just basically asked if they were aware of them and sent them links. It wasn't very long, I'm not too good at writing long worded letters :lol:

Do you have experience of Cloverleaf Farm then?

I've been there before to collect things. there is a company along this road who sell animal products (quite popular on ebay)...thought that they might be associated with this venturwe...doesn't look to be the case though

Back