• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hutch or hide in BUNNY shed ??

Hi
My current setup for my x 2 bunnies is a 10 x 6ft shed with a 24/7 run access that is 6 x 4.

My problem is im not happy with its setup inside they currently have a home made house that is 2 x 6ft and its about had it it totally does my head in when cleaning etc and the currently just mess it up and poo in it.

i want to put a hutch or a wooden hide in there to replace it but can anyone recomend anything... and what do u think of the 2 links attached. i cant afford allot as the current setup has just costs me loads and theyv both just been to vets for jabs that cost me a further £70. so im looking at around 30 for the hutch. a few iv seen below...but if you have any other suggestions please share them with me...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....akeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

i like this one as its got wire that i can attach the water bottles

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180757781313?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
i like this one as they can jump ontop if they like but would i need x 2 of this one as its small

any advise or pictures are very welcome.
thanks

my current setup is...

30200962.th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
50584578.th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
40010671.th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
What about using a very large storage box as a hidey/cave? You can probably buy a Christmas tree storage box on sale right now. You can easily cut cave like openings in the plastic for the bunnies to enter. They would have the cover/roof to jump on also. It is very easy to clean. You can just remove the cover. You can also take it outside to dump and wash. Julie loves her cave. She has had it for years. She started off with a large cardboard box. That works pretty good temporarily too. Once it is gross,you can throw it out.

I have one of those box hides which I move around the runs but the buns hardly use it. I think i would get a big card board box cut 2 holes in it, line it with thick news paper and keep changing it once they have destroyed it. I have cut a square piece of mesh and fastened it to the shed wall to attach a water bottle to by the way.

nah dont bover with a hutch just make the shed feel homey i did
dscf5704-51198755.jpg

they usually sleep on the floor( which is now carpet tiles) but the litter trays are good to hide in too :D

I use an old blanket box with a hole cut out and stuffed with straw for an extra hidey in winter. Or you could look for an old wooden toy box or storage box - things like that often come up on Ebay.

I use an old blanket box with a hole cut out and stuffed with straw for an extra hidey in winter. Or you could look for an old wooden toy box or storage box - things like that often come up on Ebay.

^^ yeah make it homey and you could put a litter tray/underbed sotroage box into the wooden box so its easy to lift out and clean!;)

I've been deciding what to do for my lot too (currently just use cardboard boxes wrapped in blankets and chuck them out when they're destroyed) and getting a wooden laundry hamper and cutting a hole out of it looked like a relatively cheap and easy option.

Personally I think you do need something in a shed, even if it's just for the winter. I mean, a shed is already sheltered and warmer than outside but it's such a large area I imagine it can be difficult to keep warm - at least a small area like a cardboard box or a hutch can be kept warm with their body heat. :)

If you're getting something wooden I agree that putting a litter tray in is a good idea - in my experience rabbits will use virtually anything enclosed as a toilet from time to time:roll:

I have a hutch in my shed. Its not very big. They very rarely ever go in it but on nights like last night when it was minus 4 (and last winter when it was a lot colder than that) I like to know it's there if they need it. They like to hide underneath it more than anything - I suppose its the nearest thing they've got to a burrow. But I'd definitely always keep my hutch

Just a cardboard box do my lot :) they kick out the straw and hay and piddle everywhere so its not worth me buying anything :roll:

I have a decent size little kennel thingy that I'm going to get rid of...that would be ideal...don't suppose you live in Essex? :lol:

I like the second link. A storage box with a hole in it is a great idea too.

Both my sheds have a small hutch inside, because I had a couple of small ones that were no good for anything else!

Like this...

SShed8b.jpg

thanks all in the end i brought this http://ukpetsonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=427
they luvvv it it gives them so much more room to play and they both fit inside to snuggle on an evening....i was leaving the bunnies to have 24/7 access to there run but last night hubby caught 2 large foxes in the garden having a nose at my babies so even thought i dont think they'd get in i am shutting them up from now on just to be safe :love:

Back