• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Leaving buns out at night when the weather is bad?

megansmummy

Mama Doe
:wave:

Last night I shut the buns into their hutch becuase the weather was terrible...the wind is really strong here and has been all last night, all today and doesnt seem to be getting any better at all! They have tarp over their run which is attatched to their hutch and then there are bricks holding the tarp down and I have put my very heavy (and back breacking to move!) plant pots all round the edge to add extra protection. They are both sat out there now happily.

I dont know wether to just leave them out there tonight...I hate shutting them away :(

:wave:

Last night I shut the buns into their hutch becuase the weather was terrible...the wind is really strong here and has been all last night, all today and doesnt seem to be getting any better at all! They have tarp over their run which is attatched to their hutch and then there are bricks holding the tarp down and I have put my very heavy (and back breacking to move!) plant pots all round the edge to add extra protection. They are both sat out there now happily.

I dont know wether to just leave them out there tonight...I hate shutting them away :(

I think they will be fine out in all but the most extreme weather. I only shut them in when we had a big storm with 100 mph winds forecast. Other than that they have their hutch to retreat to if needed.

I shut ours in if there is any risk to their housing being damaged during rough weather just to make sure they are safe. I would rather have grumpy buns in the morning than bunnies who have been hurt or escaped due to storms

Thanks for your replies...next door have lost a fence panel tonight (thankfuly on the otherside and not our side!!) and so i have put them into their hutch...its wild out there :?

Thanks for your replies...next door have lost a fence panel tonight (thankfuly on the otherside and not our side!!) and so i have put them into their hutch...its wild out there :?

Good call. A breezy bit of wind and rain, that's fine to leave the buns out as long as they can retreat when they want to. But when there's the threat of tree branches and fences flying about, best they be locked in somewhere safe!

Thanks I have left their run attached and wedged infront of the hutch so if anything does fly across the garden then it will likely hit the run instead of the hutch...I would rather a batter run than a batter hutch with buns inside :( Wishing I had a garage or somewhere inside to put them through the winter...its such a stress!! :( But they do love being outside...its fine when the weather is just wet/breezy like you say as I have weather proofed the run and hutch and so they can stay out...

It sounds like you have made the hutch as safe as possible. Outside bunnies are hardy wee things, i am sure they won't even realise that the weather is that bad!

I shut ours in if there is any risk to their housing being damaged during rough weather just to make sure they are safe. I would rather have grumpy buns in the morning than bunnies who have been hurt or escaped due to storms

This. I lie awake all night imagining alsorts when its bad weather, and get myself so worked up. So for piece of mind, my girls are all shut up & hutches pushed together wire-to-wire, in order for a decent nights sleep!

My bunnies are always are outside and I think it's fine as long as they have lots of bedding to keep them warm

Its not them being warm that I was worried about, they have a bedroom full of straw and hay (plus a heatpad each)...it was more the danger of things flying around due to the winds :)

I let them out this morning and they were stil happy enough to give me kisses so not to mad with me! ;)

This is why I love my shed, they have deep beds of hay and snugglesafes and are completely sheltered, they do have access to the avairy as its secure and covered, they are sensible though if its blowing a gale they are all in the shed!

This is why I love my shed, they have deep beds of hay and snugglesafes and are completely sheltered, they do have access to the avairy as its secure and covered, they are sensible though if its blowing a gale they are all in the shed!

Their shed is half built but bad weather, christmas and poorly kids has hampered our efforts to get it finnished ASAP! I will be so much happier when they are tucked up in their shed...so much more protected than their hutch! :)

Back