Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hutch & Run Improvements. Useful weather/ fox proofing ideas?

Default Hutch & Run Improvements. Useful weather/ fox proofing ideas?

Thought this may be useful to others who may be thinking of ways to improve their current accommodation, particularly weather/fox proofing. I also wanted a before and after type record to send to new would-be bunny owners as I find pictures offer more encouragement and clarity Many of the alterations can be applied to sheds & wendy houses too

6ft x 2ft x 2ftx Hutch & run combo (Rydale I believe) bought off ebay started out like this:

Increased height of run by adding a 4 inch plinth around the bottom (now 24 inches) I later found that the other benefit of this is that it provides a wind break for the buns + more shade in the summer Added bolts to doors, lino to hutch floor & painted inside & out:

Cosy additions were installed

Added sides & additional grip strips to the ramp:

Winter weather proofing began by adding corrugated plastic to the run lid, making shutters for the meshed hutch doors & an end panel for the run (using exterior ply). The end panel made SUCH a difference, stopped the rain from blowing in & soaking everything & everybun:

2nd end panel and 1/2 front panel for the run were made (the back of the run is against the fence but with a 2-3 inch gap so still plenty of air circulating):

...and finally, a 4ft x 3ft extension was added (we put a door in the front of the existing run soon after it was first acquired for this reason but also so that the buns could hop in and out for supervised free ranging time)

The paint used is Wilkinsons own 'Willow' from their 'Colour your garden' range. It is water based so dries quickly & very easy to use

Please note: This accommodation is used as foster rabbit housing (i.e. temporary) and the MINIMUM size a pair of rabbits should be re-homed to. Larger set ups should be considered wherever possible (even for small breeds of rabbits). Aviarys, sheds or wendy houses with attached runs are ideal and a must for larger breeds such as giants.
    Last edited by Fluffers; 08-08-2012 at 05:59 PM.

Run free Melody & Boysie, our ponies of over 20 years, our special bunnies Inca & Badger
    & also gorgeous Fidget the crazy cat, all taken to early. We will never forget you xxx

Visit the Pledge a Pound Website and Forum http://pledgeapound.net/about.php

That's super, do you mind if I put it in the outdoor sticky?

Photos: Mischa/Mini/Nutmeg/Smudge/Imogen/Instagram Housing Stickies: Indoor/Outdoor

Quote Originally Posted by Elena View Post
    That's super, do you mind if I put it in the outdoor sticky?
    I would be honoured

Run free Melody & Boysie, our ponies of over 20 years, our special bunnies Inca & Badger
    & also gorgeous Fidget the crazy cat, all taken to early. We will never forget you xxx

When I (eventually) revamp the indoor one I'll add that to the outdoor one

Photos: Mischa/Mini/Nutmeg/Smudge/Imogen/Instagram Housing Stickies: Indoor/Outdoor

Quote Originally Posted by Elena View Post
    When I (eventually) revamp the indoor one I'll add that to the outdoor one
    OK

Its looks great, I love all your little finishing touches to make it snuggly and homely for them!

Brown booted bunny,
    Such a brave and special girl,
    Never shared carrots

A haiku for beautiful Fay who went to the Bridge 29/02/2012

Helicopter eared
    Happy-go-lucky man loves
    Dancing for dinner

A haiku for handsome Kenco who went to the Bridge 26/12/12

Sleep tight my handsome prince Starbuck and beautiful Dutch girlie Twinkle, we miss you all lots xxx

Looks fab! Well done and thankyou for sharing Your foster buns are very lucky

If you need help with anything PM me or any of the other forum buddies (name shown in green)

Warren Scout

looks lovely,makes me want to change the dog crates x
    Minnie x

Looking forward to ordering my hutch and run !

Just wanted to say these 'improvements' are fabulous, given me loads of ideas to improve my setup, thanks!