Thread: Are puppy training pads harmful to bunnys if chewed?

Hybrid View

Default Are puppy training pads harmful to bunnys if chewed?

Hi there,

I have a bunny (Ralphie Rabbit) who is getting on a bit. He has arthritis in one side and has had head tilt so he ambles about a bit. Having said that he is a happy little chap who eats TONS and gives us loads of licks. As he wees all over the hutch and gets urine scald we line the hutch with newspapers and put old tea towels down. He also gets regular baths.

What I was wondering was what experiences people have had using puppy training pads and whether it would be harmful to our bunny if he chewed it.

Any advice greatly accepted.

Thanks

Jon

I regularly use puppy training pads for two of my pairs, as two of them have urinary incontinence issues. I find the puppy pads are great at helping to keep their accommodation clean and also prevent urine scald as long as they are replaced once they are soiled (the top stays wet). I have now got some human incontinence sheets which are better as it works out cheaper and they are more absorbant and reuseable as I wash them on a hot wash in the washing machine.

They do occasionally dig at them and bite holes in them but dont tend to swallow it. If they did I imagine it would be dangerous and could cause an obstruction but generally as I say they dont actually eat it. Muesli is now great at keeping to weeing on his pads when he can't make it to the litter trays.

Does your bun have any pain relief for the arthritis and had tests for E.C., or had any other tests for underlying conditions like bladder sludge or kidney problems?

Brown booted bunny,
    Such a brave and special girl,
    Never shared carrots

A haiku for beautiful Fay who went to the Bridge 29/02/2012

Helicopter eared
    Happy-go-lucky man loves
    Dancing for dinner

A haiku for handsome Kenco who went to the Bridge 26/12/12

Sleep tight my handsome prince Starbuck and beautiful Dutch girlie Twinkle, we miss you all lots xxx

Ralphie is on 4 drops of metacam a night, which is helping his arthritis massively. I think I will give the pads a go. I have read in other threads that people use sudacreme for urine scauld but our vet is cautious because he might lick it off. I have to say that he is an old bunny and I don't think that he could reach to lick it off if he tried :-) We love him though, he is very special to us :-).

Thank you so much for the advice.

Jon

I had been using puppy pads as Buster has been having problems with sistitus and keeps weeing on his blankets, he was fine until a few weeks ago when i came back to find he'd chewed a huge hole in the middle and had eaten all of the stuffing! He was fine (or im assuming he is as this was about three weeks ago and nothing has happened) however im not using them any more just incase!

Smudge had a chew on one once and then went into stasis that evening. Not sure if it was connected as he didn't seem to have ingested it, i.e. the bits were all still there, but can't rule it out as the cause. It depends on your rabbit really and whether he is a particular chewy rabbit (no wait, that sounds very wrong I mean, does he like chewing on things). The other thing you could maybe do is use it underneaths something like vetbed which is designed to draw moisture away from the surface.