• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sitting Facing Wall?

STKitty

New Kit
Hi everyone, I've had a look about but I cant find any conclusive answers. Sometimes Spock(3yr old Netherland Dwarf, house rabbit) will sit facing the wall. He seems happy enough and is in a usual settled position but it just doesnt look right. His health is good, he eats, drinks, toilets and still runs around so I'm just not sure why he is doing this. I dont mind where he sits as long as he is happy so just want to check if this is normal behaviour or if he is unhappy. Thank you.

I have a nethie that occasionally does this, and I feel very upset when it happens. I know bunnies who are feeling unwell/in pain do this, so I alsways make a point of getting down on the floor to stroke/talk to her. So far, she hasn't been ill when she has done it (thank God), but been very happy with a li'l mummy-love. :)

is he at an angle? my buns will go to the edge of their compound and face a wall or corner at a slight angle if they are really ill. i wouldn't overlook a bunny facing the wall. check for gas or any other likely problem.

Thank you so much for the quick replies, much appreciated. I really do not think he is ill but I will take him to the vets just in case. He doesnt sit in that position for very long maybe 5-10 mins max its just he has done it the past two nights which is unusual. Next time he does it I will take a picture for clarification.

Mine have done this when they've been poorly as well :( I've seen Boris do it a few times lately since falling ill with an unknown respiratory illness (most likely snuffles according to my vet), I don't think he's feeling *very* ill because when he's in a lot of pain etc. he tends to just avoid everything and everyone, but he's not well and you can tell especially when he sits like this that he's feeling a little rough :( Maybe you should get your little one examined by a vet just to make sure everything's ok.

If this is becoming a habit but he doesn't seem unwell, are you sure that it's a bad position. A friend of mine had a bun that used to sit in front of a chair leg with her nose only about a inch from it, it made her look really sad and lonely. But when my friend actually got down to bunny level (and remembering that the bun's blind spot is right in front of their nose) it was actually the best place to view all the main areas of the room.

Well we went to the vet and as usual he was in perfect health so I think this is more of a behaviour issue. After a lot of crawling about the floor ( thanks for the great suggestion Briannia )I think I've worked it out. When I'm sitting in a certain chair in the room the position he is in is the only one which he can see my face from. Now the fact that I've also only seen him there when I've been in this chair makes me think this is his reason. Typically he hasnt done it since I left the camera nearby! I also feel a bit silly for not realising that although he is facing the wall he technically is'nt staring at it! Thanks for all the help everyone. Such a lovely friendly forum :D

I read somewhere that rabbits will turn their back on you to show their displeasure, so it could be that, though I would think that would only last a minute or two, not ten minutes. Glad he is ok.

My bunny does the same,

Thank you so much for the quick replies, much appreciated. I really do not think he is ill but I will take him to the vets just in case. He doesnt sit in that position for very long maybe 5-10 mins max its just he has done it the past two nights which is unusual. Next time he does it I will take a picture for clarification.

He does the same, sometimes I wonder if he's looking at a ghost Or he could just be angry I didn't let him grab my food

Back