• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Floor cleaner safety

Vita

Mama Doe
Sorry... yet another question.

I really need to clean the kitchen floor. This will be the first time since I allowed the bunnies allowed to run around in there.
Do I need to find something that will be specifically safe for them? Or will normal stuff (it is a Cif one) be ok provided it dries thoroughly before the rabbits set foot in the area? It is a stone tiled floor.

I'm not sure. I always use hot water and a splash of vinegar when I mop the lino floors. It must do a good job as the water is always a disgusting colour afterwards!!

I've changed my floor cleaner in recent times, as I don't think modern cleaners are good for humans or pets. I use liquid soap with a splash of vinegar (by soap I mean proper soap, not hand wash etc, which has never been near soap!) I've been looking at steam mops, but I haven't got one yet.

I use a normal cleaner - was flash - can't remember what this months special offer was! Something yellow.

I just make sure the buns don't go on it until it's dry x

Safest would be hot water or hot water with a splash of vinegar.

You would probably be ok using your usual but letting it dry thoroughly before letting buns out.

If you feel you must use a Floor Cleaning Product I'd recommend a BUAV approved one - that way no bun has suffered in its making, Co-op or Faith in Nature perhaps ;)

Oh yes I should say I don't bother waiting for it to dry fully as the rabbits are usually clamouring to get back in :roll: They always do the flicky back foot thing as it's wet :lol: So that's also why I don't use other stuff.

Thank you for the advice.

As it is, due to being ill and clumsy again today I broke a glass on the kitchen floor, so they're not going in there until the new hoover has arrived (existing one is broken) and I can be as sure as possible of there being no tiny shards around.

I think I will then finish the current bottle of cleaning fluid and then look at use vinegar and that sort of thing.
The main reason I was using Cif rather than Ecover or something was - apart from its price in Wilkinsons - awareness / opinion about there being more resistant bacteria around than there used to be a couple of decades ago and that ideally we need to be cleaning as thoroughly as people did further in the past. Not that my energy levels necessarily allow me to keep up with this, but anyway...

If you're worried about hygiene (although you probably shouldn't really with the bunnies, given the amount of dirt outside :)), go for a steam mop - it will kill loads of germs naturally.

Had never heard of steam mops before a thread title a few days ago. Will find out about them.

Ta :)

The only difference is flooring in the bun room. I just use hot steam cleaner. No cleaning products as such. SOmetimes occasionaly a bit of white vinegar or soda.

I use warm / hot water with a squirt of washing up liquid and a squirt of bleach in for cleaning most hard surfaces, floors, hutches, etc. Sweep / wipe off any significant dirty bits first. Let it dry naturally.

Back