• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you want to bond a trio? Read this first

This thread has so much good info in it! I only have one query- I noticed a lot of stuff about f x f x m, but nothing about m x m x f. Does that work or will the two boys fight?

It really depends more on personalities than gender in my experience. :)

Last edited:
It really depends more on personalities than gender in my experience. :)

I recentally lost Snowy (male) who was the most docile rabbit I have ever met and bonded almost immediately to Toshi (also male) who was (and is) dominant, demanding, and hyper. Since then Toshi hasn't bonded to the two females we've tried him with: Paige and Posie. They both ended up being dominant with other bunnies and so we decided not to get Posie, but Paige we kept cause she liked Snowy. Recentally (think yesterday) I adopted Joshua Aiden (male) who is also dominant. Would it be possible to bond all three or pair two of them off? I realize how slim that chance is, but I would appreciate any advice :wave:

I recentally lost Snowy (male) who was the most docile rabbit I have ever met and bonded almost immediately to Toshi (also male) who was (and is) dominant, demanding, and hyper. Since then Toshi hasn't bonded to the two females we've tried him with: Paige and Posie. They both ended up being dominant with other bunnies and so we decided not to get Posie, but Paige we kept cause she liked Snowy. Recentally (think yesterday) I adopted Joshua Aiden (male) who is also dominant. Would it be possible to bond all three or pair two of them off? I realize how slim that chance is, but I would appreciate any advice :wave:

One of my examples was m-m-f :) It will be possible but only of the personalities work.

If you do want friends for your bunnies the most successful way to adopt is to let the rabbit chose their own friend, which gives them the maximum chance of success as a bonded pair/trio/group :)

The problem is the limited number of rabbit shelters in my area, the only one there is has two rabbits right now- one of which is Posie.

After taking lots of info in off different forums & friends I had a go at bonding my boys at weekend, three brothers, all neutered, French Lops, two I had bonded as a pair a few months ago, but i felt so sorry for the third being alone. I was fairly confident as they are all very laid back, 12months old, and they share the same shed space in turns, they could see each other through the hutch doors & there was never any argy bargy. Heart in mouth i put them together following my friend Bernies advice, and they have been absolute stars, they just settled like they were always meant to be together. here are some pics,
DURING THE BONDING, THE AGOUTI & BUTTERFLY WERE PREVIOUSLY A BONDED PAIR
e72d9188.jpg

28973627.jpg

AFTER BEING PUT BACK INTO NEUTRALISED HUTCH
ec5537c7.jpg

Fingers crossed they continue to enjoy each others company, because they are certainly content together. :love:

I know, i just watch them & grin from ear to ear :D
Its poignant as I lost their mum suddenly in january, really miss her loads, and i kinda feel proud that they are such calm boys & are doing so well.

Thank you so much for posting this, as after finding out my female is actually a male i have been worrying about starting the bonding process, gizmo has recently been neutured and i shall shortly be having kenzi neutured, at the moment when they have their freetime they go up to each others hutches and have a sniff, Gizmo is more placid and at the moment Kenzi is more scittish as his hormones have started coming in, their hutches are situated next to each other at the moment and they can see each other at all times, so i was hoping that would help things when i can start the bonding process and from the sound of your post it is possible :) so i am very optimistic after reading your post. Thank you.[:)

QUOTE=sarahsum;5421199]After taking lots of info in off different forums & friends I had a go at bonding my boys at weekend, three brothers, all neutered, French Lops, two I had bonded as a pair a few months ago, but i felt so sorry for the third being alone. I was fairly confident as they are all very laid back, 12months old, and they share the same shed space in turns, they could see each other through the hutch doors & there was never any argy bargy. Heart in mouth i put them together following my friend Bernies advice, and they have been absolute stars, they just settled like they were always meant to be together. here are some pics,
DURING THE BONDING, THE AGOUTI & BUTTERFLY WERE PREVIOUSLY A BONDED PAIR
e72d9188.jpg

28973627.jpg

AFTER BEING PUT BACK INTO NEUTRALISED HUTCH
ec5537c7.jpg

Fingers crossed they continue to enjoy each others company, because they are certainly content together. :love:[/QUOTE]

Trio of neurtered brothers....failing??

Have three male Lionhead bunnies. Bought them together and initially all got on well. Never parted so hoped they would all be friends. Have recently had them neutered but hormones not yet disappeared we think? Two are picking on one . He has had his back badly scratched and is very fearful of the other two. When in garden runs and hides behind objects and stears clear. Decided to separate them. One on his own and the two 'friends' together. Hoping that has the testosterone wore off they may become mates again.
Every joint space meeting even on neutral ground doesn't seem to go well. Have left them separate for a couple of week. SO we tried splitting the friends up and putting one in with the other for short monitored session...is this a good ideas or a very bad one..we hoped that when the two weren't up against the one they may tolerate each other..so far the aggressors has mounted other Bunnie and then sat on his head.. any ideas to help..or should we just find another friend for the other Bunnie???

Is there any advice on bonding a quad when introducing a male to a bonded group of three females as I'm currently considering this.

I've been really hmmming and haaaaing over whether or not to try to bond my pair (m/f) to my third(m). I've carefully thought through all the potential outcomes and still not sure I have the stomach for it. This thread is really useful and it's been great to get some honest, frank accounts. Guess I still have some thinking to do on the matter... My pair are happy together and my single is a happy wee soul too so it's maybe best to let sleeping buns lie :/

Unhappy Thirds and Possible Damage to an already bonded duo dealing with a 3rd?

so i have two rabbits (male and female), both fixed, who i bought together from the same place. they were bonded before i bought them and never fought or showed any aggression towards each other.

now, my friend went away for vacation and she asked my bf and I to bunny-sit her female rabbit (unspayed) for a week.
at first, we put my friend's rabbit into the same cage as our rabbits. we thought the cage was pretty big (10x10 ft) so they would stay out of each other's way. i was wrong.

our rabbits showed interest in the new rabbit, but in different ways. our male rabbit tried to smell her, which is understandable since she was unspayed. our female rabbit was very friendly and immediately started to groom the new rabbit. but the new rabbit was extremely shy/scared and would run whenever our rabbits came close. this would trigger a weird reaction: our male rabbit would run after the new rabbit and our female rabbit would chase after them and then our two (M&F) would break out fighting and pulling hair.

we separated the new rabbit but they're all still in the same "cage." (We have a C&C cage so we just took some extra cubes and closed off a 4x4 area for the bunny visitor. Our bunnies still have the rest of their cage area).

so my questions are:
1) should i move the new rabbit farther away to prevent further friction or is our simple caged off area ok?
2) Why did our two act that way? It seemed like maybe our female was protecting the guest from our male?
3) What are the chances that our bunnies' bond is damaged?
We're hoping this experience doesn't end up permanently damaging their relationship. They've always been extremely doting to one another so it was scary to see them fight.
They seem fine again after their fight. They're grooming each other and eating next to each other. They would sniff the cage area by the new rabbit once in a while but for the most part, they leave her alone/act like shes not even there. Our female one goes over to try to sniff/say hi once in a while.

4)I'm also curious if this means that our duo just isn't meant to be a trio?
It seems like from this thread, most trios work because they need the third to compensate for something. From looking at our duo's dynamic, they seem to live perfectly rabbit content lives--They groom each other, follow each other around, play together, sleep together, etc.
I have a friend who rescued a bunny off the side of the road so she's looking for an adopter. I'm cautious about offering to take in a third based on what just happened though I know that in ALL cases, always make sure to set up play dates first before agreeing to take it. I'm wondering if I should even bother setting up the play date based on how my duo acted towards the guest. But I'm also wondering if it's because the guest wasn't spayed. If it was a spayed/neutered third, it might've made a difference?

Thanks so much for this thread, as someone who is about to attempt to bond a trio it is really really helpful :thumb:

I am starting with a single and adding in a pair which I know is probably a more unusual way of doing things, but I'm hoping it will work out.

Our boy bun lost his mate a couple of weeks ago and we were hoping to find a single female bun to try and bond with him, but we've ended up taking in a pair of bonded females from a local rescue instead. I've been doing as much reading and video watching about trio bonding as possible before we attempt it, but for now they're living as neighbours in separate dog crates in the dining room, and having separate play times.

Bereaved Bun

Hi All really need some advice. We sadly lost our beautiful girl Veronica a few days ago now worried
about her husbun little Eddie. We have two other young uns that are bonded and quite happy together.
Eddie is getting on a bit he s a netherland dwarf and we think he s about nine - Veronica was about the
same we think - so do I try to bond him with the others or maybe try to find an older girl for bonding?
It s so sad seeing him like this - Veronica and him never left each others side - getting upset again -

Any help would be greatly appreciated
- Thanks

Last edited:
Hi All really need some advice. We sadly lost our beautiful girl Veronica a few days ago now worried
about her husbun little Eddie. We have two other young uns that are bonded and quite happy together.
Eddie is getting on a bit he s a netherland dwarf and we think he s about nine - Veronica was about the
same we think - so do I try to bond him with the others or maybe try to find an older girl for bonding?
It s so sad seeing him like this - Veronica and him never left each others side - getting upset again -

Any help would be greatly appreciated
- Thanks

Hi Kimmie

I've started a new thread for you, so that people will see your request better :)

I've also asked the mods to make the thread your own so you'll get more replies.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?472255-Bereaved-Bun&p=7035706#post7035706

Hugs xx

Back