• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding Pebs, Poppy, Bugsy and Chloe - advise please!

I'm only a day and a half into the bonding process, so I know not to expect too much.

Background: Bugsy and Chloe have been a bonded pair for about 2 years. Poppy and Pebbles have been a bonded pair for about a year. Both pairs have been living in 4ftx13ft runs side by side since easter till a couple of weeks ago, so they could see each other. Since then Pebbles and Poppy have lived in dining room, Bugsy and Chloe have lived in kitchen.

I had set up a puppy pen using 6 x2.5ft panels, but reduced it to 5 panels (diameter of 4ft), I took them for a short drive in their pairs. Then I released them at same time into pen (which is in neutral space in living room). Bugsy has accepted Poppy and Pebbles and is happy to flop beside them, though he flops next to Pebbles more than Poppy.

The main problem was that Chloe was initially aggressive towards Poppy and Pebbles. Whereas Pebbles tends to stay still, Poppy darts away quickly which startles Bugsy, and both Bugsy and Chloe chase Poppy, so Poppy is still very nervous and tends to run as son as she is approached.

Chloe seems to be approaching Poppy and Pebbles less aggressively, she seems to be just nudging Pebbles rear end, but he doesn't like it and runs away, and then Bugsy joins in....only to flop down next to Pebbles a few minutes later!

So, is it worth me reducing their space further to prevent poppy darting round in a circle when approached by Chloe? And would taking Chloe for a drive with Pebbles and Poppy in an indoor cage possibly help the bonding process? Or should I just give them more time and see how it goes?

Any advice greatly appreciated

Thanks

I found a similar situation occuring with the quad I tried.

The bonding is always going to be longer for a quad because you have more heirarchies to work out. Is what is happening creating a situation where you need to intervene or is it just caysing unsettlement?

I'm concerned that Poppies instant flight is making it harder to tell whether Chloe is now trying to approach to be friends - so I'm watching carefully and when I see Chloe approach, I stroke both Poppy and Chloe at the same time to reassure them, and to try to slow Poppy down so she doesn't initiate Bugsy joining in to protect Chloe. When Poppy doesn't make sudden moves, Bugsy is fine. I'll leave them a bit longer and see how they go today.

If the whole thing can play out without the need intervening, then I think you just have to wait it out, but if you're needing to intervene then it's worth looking at jiggling their environment somehow to try and ease the running.

Thanks - will try to leave them to it. It is strange, cos Chloe has always been the most nervous and skittish, but she is the one showing the most aggression and being most stubborn! Bunnies are such strange things sometimes:lol:

Likely then the 'aggression' is actually her fear being turned into a 'fight or flight' instinct, and it's gone with 'fight' for whatever reason.

That is what I thought - as my mum's alsation is supposedly aggressive towards other dogs ( and my youngest son) because she is scared of them - even little ones.

Another strange thing - The pen has about 2-3 inches of aubiouse and carefresh topped with another inch of various hays. Now it is a nice mxiture, but they all started going round digging it and also pushing piles of it in front of them with their front paws and noses, resulting in buried bunnies:lol: Is this a sign of anything I should be aware of? It's funny to watch them suddenly doing it all at the same time. Maybe they are playing??

I have absolutely no idea what that means :lol: I would suspect playing/getting comfy/being busy/entertaining themselves, but all doing the same is a good thing :)

That's good - they've got to the bottom and now shredding the newspaper layer :lol: And Chloe has made a couple more advances with no sighn of aggression now - so fingers crossed! Is it too soon to put in some new willow balls? I have bought some giant ones, which I know they all love.

Sounding good :)

If you're going to add the willow balls then add them at a sleepy, relaxed time, but it might be better to wait until things have settled (although, depending on what you're seeing, distractions could be good as well). I guess it depends on what you feel would benefit them.

Ah you've lined your pen with newpaper and aubiose!! I just stuck it on the lino and every time they do a wee I have to mop it up as it runs away. Maybe I should put some newspaper in.
I am having the same issues with Jassy and Hazel. Because Jassy has niped Hazel, everytime Jassy goes anywhere near Hazel I think she thinks Jassy is going to nip her again so she starts running around in a frenzy and thumping feet. But as soon as it starts its over and they are all nomming hay again!! Strange!! :roll: I havnt had to get involved as its not a full on fight.

Back