• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hiya - hoping this forum will save my sanity!!

BikerJet

New Kit
Hi everyone. I'm the slightly stressed owner (of 5 days!) of a 3 year old bunny called Patch. My friend could no longer look after her so I offered to rehome it. In the 5 days shes belonged to me I've had my Dad build an 8x4ft run which is 2ft high so she can now stand up on her back legs - she was unable to do this in her previous small run and I've dug an 8ftx4ft hole, lined it with mesh then backfilled with compost and soil. Hopefully the turf will go down tomorrow. Oh and have I mentioned shes escaped twice by digging a tunnel under her run into the garden?? Very strange to come home and find a large black and white bunny hopping around your lawn! Shes not at all sociable and runs away however I've managed to get her to eat a dandelion leaf from my hand which I think is progress!! I just hope she does become a bit friendlier in time. I am trying to hold her for at least 5 mins every day to get her used to me and I'm just researching a vet to take her for an MOT!! I think shes a very unfit bunny having never been allowed out of her hutch to hop around. She was extremely tired after her 2 escapes into the bigger garden!!! So thats it for now. I expect I'll become a frequent visitor to this wonderful website in my attempts to make my new bunny happy and healthy!!! Janet.

Nice to meet you Janet!

We need pictures!!

Try sitting with her - don't fuss her, just let her come and investigate you. She will! Rabbits are so nosey - just sit in there with her, read a book and she'll come and see you.

Is she spayed? x

Wow, I have to admire the dedication that goes it's digging a hole that big! It's a great way to let her dig and keep her safe so I'm sure she'll appreciate it.

It takes bunnies a bit to settle into a new space so I expect she'll gain confidence over the next few weeks. Rather than holding her for 5 minutes, I would sit in the run with her and just hang out for awhile. That way she can get used to being around and will come and explore you in her own time and you can offer her treats.

When you get her MOT, you might want to discuss vaccinations if her previous owner hadn't got that done.

hi ya!

Hi! I'm new to this site too! U'll like having a bunny, i luv mine. Post a photo! Try sitting in Patchs run with her and offer her some veg, thats how I got my little timid bunny more confident around me.

Welcome!!

Sounds like Patch has landed herself firmly on her four paws with you.

She sounds like a little minx though, so good luck!

:wave:

Hello & Welcome to RU

You will be sure to find lots of information & friendly users here.

Please feel free to message me or any of the other buddies (green names) should you need any assistance in using the forum.

Enjoy

Sarah :)

Aw thankyou all for the messages - sorry I haven't been back before.

So I'm happy to say Patch is still alive and dare I say looking a lot happier than when I first got her. Shes still very timid but will now happily eat dandilion leaves or small pieces of broccoli out of my hand. She still doesn't like being picked up but I sit with her and she'll come and investigate me so thats definitely progress. Its going to be a big week for her as after much research and advice on which vets not to use (!) I've finally managed to find a bunny friendly vet to take her for an MOT. She is not spayed and has never had any jabs so I just hope the trip to the vets doesn't turn out to be too traumatic for her (doubtless it'll be traumatic for me having to catch her and pop her in her travel case!!). I must say the information about bunnies is soooo confusing. I've bought 2 bunny care books and they totally contradict each other. Maybe you can help - I want to get a companion for Patch as I don't want her to be lonely however one book recommends guinea pigs and the other says under no circumstances mix rabbits and guinea pigs!! One book says you can easily introduce new bunnies the other says unless they've been brought up from babies together they won't get along!!! Arrrgh!! I'm trying to do my best for Patch but its very difficult to know what the right answer is!!

Ok so some basic questions that I can't seem to find a definitive answer to - can you feed rabbits spinach? Should you feed them twice or once a day? (I'm feeding her pellets in the morning and greens in the evening at the mo) Am I supposed to be using hay or straw for her bed? (shes got both at the moment plus a layer of wood shavings!!) What should I do to winterproof her hutch? One book says you MUST move your bunny indoors, another says cover it with a tarp. Argh.

I'll take some pics tomorrow and see if I can work out how to post them!!!
x

Ok - I think maybe bin the books :)

Rabbits should never live with gineau pigs - they are a different species and can't communicate, so it would be mean to keep them together, never mind dangerous for the piggie and buns have got strong legs!

How old is she? Maybe ask the vet about spaying - it reduces the risk of cancer in female rabbits by 80% so it's very good idea to get that done.

A bunny friend is best. Have a look on the rabbits in need section on here, and rabbits looking for homes on the main rabbitrehome website.

Lots of information about on here re: bonding rabbits - they certainly don't have to be together from being babies! But spaying makes it a LOT easier and happier all around. Most rescues will give good advice on bonding, and some even bond for you to make it easier to see if the buns are going to get along. Usually will but it does take a good few days of patience!

Not sure on spinach - search the forum - I'm sure it'll be on here somewhere!

Rabbits should have unlimited access to fresh hay - they need to eat it all the time to keep their gut moving and to wear down their teeth as their teeth never stop growing.

Wood shavings aren't really recommended to be honest because they can cause respiritary problems with buns due to the dust. Look for something called....argh! What's it called? Someone will help me please?!

Recommended food is an egg cupful of pellets a day, some veggies if you want, and lots of hay (even if they have hay left from the night before, swap it for fresh, because the little monkeys won't eat old hay!!) Eggcupful doesn't sound much does it! But it's more than enough - he'll try to convince you he's starving but he's not :lol:

You don't have to move bun indoors - lots of people don't. Look for a hutch hugger - or if you have a shed to move into that will help.

On the other hand, if you want a house bunny, move him inside :) Litter training is not too difficult :)

Use a photo hosting site to upload pics - like photobucket or something. Just copy the image link into here x

Aw thankyou all for the messages - sorry I haven't been back before.

So I'm happy to say Patch is still alive and dare I say looking a lot happier than when I first got her. Shes still very timid but will now happily eat dandilion leaves or small pieces of broccoli out of my hand. She still doesn't like being picked up but I sit with her and she'll come and investigate me so thats definitely progress. Its going to be a big week for her as after much research and advice on which vets not to use (!) I've finally managed to find a bunny friendly vet to take her for an MOT. She is not spayed and has never had any jabs so I just hope the trip to the vets doesn't turn out to be too traumatic for her (doubtless it'll be traumatic for me having to catch her and pop her in her travel case!!). I must say the information about bunnies is soooo confusing. I've bought 2 bunny care books and they totally contradict each other. Maybe you can help - I want to get a companion for Patch as I don't want her to be lonely however one book recommends guinea pigs and the other says under no circumstances mix rabbits and guinea pigs!! One book says you can easily introduce new bunnies the other says unless they've been brought up from babies together they won't get along!!! Arrrgh!! I'm trying to do my best for Patch but its very difficult to know what the right answer is!!

Ok so some basic questions that I can't seem to find a definitive answer to - can you feed rabbits spinach? Should you feed them twice or once a day? (I'm feeding her pellets in the morning and greens in the evening at the mo) Am I supposed to be using hay or straw for her bed? (shes got both at the moment plus a layer of wood shavings!!) What should I do to winterproof her hutch? One book says you MUST move your bunny indoors, another says cover it with a tarp. Argh.

I'll take some pics tomorrow and see if I can work out how to post them!!!
x

Guineas and rabbits are not a good mix. They need different diets, rabbits can pass on bortadella to the GPs and rabbits can easily accidentally injure a GP. :)

I think rabbits can have spinach. There is a good guide to feeding here -> http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/safefoods.htm

I feed mine twice a day. I top up their hay with fresh stuff and feed each pair a tablespoon of pellets morning and evening. Hay is better as they eat it anyway. Shavings aren't great, there are more efficient options that are safer such as carefresh, megazorb, auboise, non clumping cat litter, etc. I just use newspaper and hay in their litter trays. Spayed and neutered rabbits are litter trainable. :)

In the outdoor housing thread (link in my signature) there is some details about weatherproofing :)

Wood shavings aren't really recommended to be honest because they can cause respiritary problems with buns due to the dust. Look for something called....argh! What's it called? Someone will help me please?!

You don't have to move bun indoors - lots of people don't. Look for a hutch hugger - or if you have a shed to move into that will help.

Megazorb? Or carefresh? I use wood based cat litter from tesco for my buns' litter trays, there are lots of alternatives to wood shavings :)

My two are staying outdoors this winter, I've done a bit of insulating with layers of fabric and random bits of bubble wrap, with a big tarp on top. They cuddle to keep warm, but have a snugglesafe too.

Megazorb? Or carefresh? I use wood based cat litter from tesco for my buns' litter trays, there are lots of alternatives to wood shavings :)

My two are staying outdoors this winter, I've done a bit of insulating with layers of fabric and random bits of bubble wrap, with a big tarp on top. They cuddle to keep warm, but have a snugglesafe too.

Megazorb lol that's it - I don't use it but I know lots of people swear by it!

I like the sound of a hutch hugger!!!

I bought a hay rack which I empty and refill every day so I'm glad I'm doing that right!
I also bought a couple of bunny toys and have put some branches in Patchs run to try and stop her gnawing the wood of the run - doesn't seem to be working tho! maybe she just likes the taste of the 2"x2" inch wood my Dad used tho if she doesn't stop they'll soon be 1"x1"!!!

I'd read that about cancer in unspayed females which was one of the reasons I was keen to find a good vet sooner rather than later.
I'm amazed at how many bad experiences my friends have had with small animals - guinea pigs, hamsters, bunnies - and vets.

Theres an RSPCA centre about 10 miles away which I thought I might go and visit this weekend just to see if there were any suitable candidates to make friends with Patch however I'm thinking I'll probably need to buy another hutch if I get 2 bunnies. Patch is quite big and when shes in her bedroom theres not a lot of room for another bunny. Is that what most people do with more than 1 bun - have a hutch for each?

I bought a litter tray and thankfully Patch has taken to it without any problems. It just makes life so much easier just lifting the tray out everyday to empty!!

I'd read that about cancer in unspayed females which was one of the reasons I was keen to find a good vet sooner rather than later.
I'm amazed at how many bad experiences my friends have had with small animals - guinea pigs, hamsters, bunnies - and vets.

Theres an RSPCA centre about 10 miles away which I thought I might go and visit this weekend just to see if there were any suitable candidates to make friends with Patch however I'm thinking I'll probably need to buy another hutch if I get 2 bunnies. Patch is quite big and when shes in her bedroom theres not a lot of room for another bunny. Is that what most people do with more than 1 bun - have a hutch for each?

I wouldn't get her a friend until she's been spayed, even if it's a female or a castrated male, she'll be less territorial once the hormones are out of the way, and more likely to settle down and bond. Mine share one big hutch and run, they follow each other around, eat together, and keep each other warm :)

You are impressively organised and have obviously put loads of thought in - she is lucky :D

I just hate the thought that for 3 years shes only had a 4ft by 3ft run to live in which was on concrete so she couldn't even amuse herself by digging - which shes done every day since moving to her new bunny escape proof (I hope!) quarters!! I think if you have a pet you should care for it as one of the family.

I've almost finished building a gate to cordon off a section of the garden for her to play in - only when I'm in the garden too of course! The bunny play area has got walls on 2 sides and a fence on the other and I've put flagstones all along the bottom of the fence to deter her from trying to dig underneath. The gate is going to go on the other side.

Thanks for the advice re getting another bun and getting Patch spayed first. Hopefully I can book that at her MOT this week.

Aw you sound like you're doing really well by her!

It can take a while for hormones to die down after spaying - about a month or more. It takes a good few weeks for the healing to finish so she would need to be taking it easy then anyway.

:lol: at the wood chewing! I think a lot of folks on here share your pain there! I get my girls toys and they look at them, sniff them, realise there is no food in there, and walk away haha - no interest whatsoever!

Some nice ideas though are old toilet rolls stuffed with hay. I put herbs in the middle and really stuff the hay in either end. The girls go mental because they can smell the herbs and spend ages playing to get it out - certainly a boredom buster (and a kitchen messer upper - they get it everywhere!)

RSPCA recommend 6' x 2' x 2' minimum for a rabbit - so the bigger hutch you can get, the better for your bun and future friend. Have a browse though some old posts on here, some people make incredible little mansions for their buns! (Not suggesting you do that :lol: but awesome too look at!)

Once she's bonded with a friend, you can't split them really. Definately one hutch to share.

You could post on here looking for a rabbit savvy vet in your area if you aren't sure still.

Good questions to ask are, how many spays has the vet done, how many they have lost (really don't let it worry you, it should be a very very low number so just something to look out for when finding the right vet). If the vet tells you to starve the rabbit before operations - find another vet - rabbits have to be eating constantly - it's very dangerous for them to be starved like that.

The garden sounds great!! Really can't wait to see pics of you Patch bunny!!

Back