Hi MM, The quilt is a work in progress, mostly done on the sewing machine. I started it four years ago. Hubby found the centre piece on ebay, it was a piece of scrap material. I had it about two years, then I decided I couldn't cut the fabric into patchwork pieces without cutting into the fish, so I decided to put frames around it. Then I needed to find fabrics to co-ordinate. I found some Moda layer cakes and charm packs called 'Enchanted Pond' at a quilt show. I discovered Missouri Star Quilt Company tutorials on YouTube and started to make some patchwork pieces. Then disaster, I ran out of fabric and found it was discontinued. Eventually, I found some jellyrolls of it in a sale. I also had to find some other co-ordinating fabric. It got bigger and bigger, so now it is kingsized. In the last three years I've had to help out with my grandchildren but recently I decided to get it out and try and finish it. I've put a kingsize cotton sheet on the back and am having a go at free motion quilting on the sewing machine. I have hand stitched two rows of running stitches around each fish, which looks like ripples. I can't put a close up pic on because Photobucket is playing up again and won't let me copy the link.
Thank you so much. I think free motion would be a lot easier if the piece was smaller. I'll be pleased when it's finished and washed. I've done loads of unpicking with it but it's quite easy if I sit on the bed and do it because it's so heavy. I think it's a case of "practice makes perfect". I've made several smaller quilts for family babies but always 'stitched in the ditch' and sometimes used the fancy stitches on the machine to fancy them up a bit.
More fabric coasters
Bead (him) & Thread (me) is our little outlet for our talents (ha!)
Click the photo for my etsy shop, or follow me on facebook