• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The Crafter and Artists Sticky Thread

I’ve been playing with Powertex which is a fabric hardener. You can also mix it into a clay. After “curing” for 3 weeks it becomes weatherproof. I decided to make a fairy house inspired by those I’d seen online. I started with an old jar and modelled a roof for the house out of tinfoil. I then wrapped it in masking tape to help the powertex stick to it. You can just see to the left the lace I was going to use for the roof.

JNrHfIMl.jpg

I also added some foil and tape to the jar to alter the shape.

frRZk45l.jpg

I totally forgot to take a picture of the next step, but I dunked the lace in the powertex and added it to the roof. Despite the whole thing only being about 10 inches tall, it used up almost 2 metres of lace! I made some clay and used silicone moulds to make the door and window frames and some tiny leaves. I covered the base in gauze swabs soaked in the powertex and stuck it all together using the powertex. My basic form was brown, so I dry brushed the roof with red powertex and the base with ivory Powertex. I mixed some pearlescent pigment powders with varnish to finish off the house.

vzvzrHyl.jpg

WKkGEzfl.jpg

l34jF2Ql.jpg

pbGDtyRl.jpg

I’ve been playing with Powertex which is a fabric hardener. You can also mix it into a clay. After “curing” for 3 weeks it becomes weatherproof. I decided to make a fairy house inspired by those I’d seen online. I started with an old jar and modelled a roof for the house out of tinfoil. I then wrapped it in masking tape to help the powertex stick to it. You can just see to the left the lace I was going to use for the roof.

JNrHfIMl.jpg

frRZk45l.jpg

I totally forgot to take a picture of the next step, but I dunked the lace in the powertex and added it to the roof. Despite the whole thing only being about 10 inches tall, it used up almost 2 metres of lace! I made some clay and used silicone moulds to make the door and window frames and some tiny leaves. I covered the base in gauze swabs soaked in the powertex and stuck it all together using the powertex. My basic form was brown, so I dry brushed the roof with red powertex and the base with ivory Powertex. I mixed some pearlescent pigment powders with varnish to finish off the house.

vzvzrHyl.jpg

WKkGEzfl.jpg

l34jF2Ql.jpg

pbGDtyRl.jpg
Omg I love this! [emoji7]

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

JNrHfIMl.jpg

frRZk45l.jpg

vzvzrHyl.jpg

WKkGEzfl.jpg

l34jF2Ql.jpg

pbGDtyRl.jpg

wtf!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :love:
that is one of the most fabulous/crazy thing i've ever seen! you are super talented.

Aww thanks guys. That was my second ever play with powertex. I did a workshop which taught me the basics, where we decorated a shoe from the charity shop. It started off like this,

3txxwKWl.jpg

And ended up as this,

XW32w2Ml.jpg

tkOidDil.jpg

bhlzoall.jpg

Nowhere near as good as the stuff on here but I couldn’t find an earring holder I liked, so made my own!

a18e25c3f5e9df7fd2acdbca779cf418.jpg

[emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a bit late now but thank you for your kind words :lol:

haven't drawn since mid March so I am trying my hand at a pet portrait - I've always enjoyed drawing realistically although admittedly, its never been a strong spot! very basic wip rn, getting down the flat colours of the dog altho the collar and tag (off picture) is pretty much shaded.
image0.jpg

a bit late now but thank you for your kind words :lol:

haven't drawn since mid March so I am trying my hand at a pet portrait - I've always enjoyed drawing realistically although admittedly, its never been a strong spot! very basic wip rn, getting down the flat colours of the dog altho the collar and tag (off picture) is pretty much shaded.
image0.jpg

that's awesome! I really admire ppl who can draw/paint, it's a fantastic skill to have :)

how do you do it digitally? do you use a fingertip or a stylus or what???

that's awesome! I really admire ppl who can draw/paint, it's a fantastic skill to have :)

how do you do it digitally? do you use a fingertip or a stylus or what???

thank you! :love:

I draw with a stylus! the tech in the pic is a iPad 2018 6th Gen iirc. its a stylus done by Apple themselves so it has full pen pressure and tilt, meaning depending on how I hold the pen and how hard I press changes how thick the brush is or the way the brush rotates. you can get third party stylus's but they don't work as well/don't hold as much charge. the Apple Pencil gets 30 minutes of charge after 15 seconds of charge and I believe holds up to 10-12 hours? so pretty decent honestly.

I've always drawn digitally personally. I started out on a £60 Wacom Intuos yeeears back - its just like a grey hard pad which is sensitive to the stylus they provide. I decided tho that I really dislike having to look at the computer screen while drawing to see where my drawing is going. after a few returns I upgraded to the iPad 2018 (6th Gen I think) with a 9.7" screen. I really like it as I can draw anywhere and its not tied to having to have a PC. car rides, doctors appointments, airports, waiting rooms, I can get on and do something :D

I love digital drawing but haven't done it in years since my tablet died. I actually quite liked the tablet being separate to the screen, meant my hand was never in the way.
Digital art is so flexible compared to any other medium. Make a mistake? Delete it. Like one piece of this drawing but a different piece of another? Merge them! Can't beat it if you ask me.

I'm trying to do the artful daily challenges.

Yesterday was a puffin, and the first thing I've drawn with my new brush pens.
92722316_10158741385684363_4733007986862063616_o.jpg

Todays theme was moth. Third thing I've drawn with the brush pens (second was a disaster!). Could've done with a ruler, a compass and a fine liner but I couldn't be bothered to go get them.
92476691_10158740964419363_5973890365856415744_o.jpg

Back